CW3 Suggestions Redux

Started by knucracker, November 01, 2012, 11:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrike30

Quote from: 4xC on February 21, 2013, 03:14:56 PM
On an unrelated note: one thing I would like to see is more of a need for tiny patches of ground (at other levels (like in the Aether clip on the blog) on a large, otherwise flat stretch of ground where infrastructure happens) to be terraformed. Maybe not a need, but I think there ought to be a significant benefit noted for terraforming ground at your starting base so that it is all flat and has none of those specs of uneven ground. At the moment, it appears there is almost (I repeat: ALMOST) no good reason to terraform for non-offensive reasons.
I think that's a byproduct of Reactors more than anything else.  Once your infrastructure is developed to the point where you can drag-place 10 reactors without really thinking about it, the amount of effort involved in constructing a Terp and levelling those little bits and pieces around your base that mess with Collector efficiency isn't really worthwhile.  If Collectors produced more energy (or Reactors less) it might be worthwhile, but I don't think it'd really add anything on maps where you've got room to play.

Now, on those maps where you're really begging for space, it's another story entirely I'd think.  But we don't really see many of those posted.

lurkily

Sounds more like a CW2 drone - constrained by the network instead of geography.

A phantom and a spore are basically the same thing, but I don't think these sound much like spores . . .

UpperKEES

Quote from: Shrike30 on February 22, 2013, 08:26:44 PM
If Collectors produced more energy (or Reactors less) it might be worthwhile

Maybe nice to know that the efficiency-ratio between a collector and a reactor is about 4 :1, while this was about 2:1 in CW1. :)

Quote from: Shrike30 on February 22, 2013, 08:26:44 PM
Now, on those maps where you're really begging for space, it's another story entirely I'd think.  But we don't really see many of those posted.

I think on most maps you've seen so far Virgil wanted to demonstrate a certain feature and it would make the video much longer if space was much restricted and the build up of the economy took more time. This probably will vary a lot in the maps you'll be playing, especially the custom maps. I always like to make space a constraint, so more choices have to be made during early game.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

tornado

as for reactor/collector rivalry
reactors don't make power
they boost al collector out puts by 1.
they do this by manipulating black holes to
increase collector output.
this is a cw1 mechanick so i ciold be wrong.
either way lets focus on heavy artillery

just what i know.
tornado

PS:rhyme not intended.
Now CEO of Particular Endeavors. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=23752.new#new
We apologize for all inconveniences that we caused.
Quotefirst, you have to imagine a very big box, fitting inside a very samll box.
then, you have to build one

UpperKEES

Quote from: tornado on February 23, 2013, 09:53:10 AM

Yes, you are wrong. It does not work like that at all in neither CW1 nor CW3.

There are upgrades however that increase the total energy output (collectors+reactors+Odin City/CNs) by a factor. In CW1 there's just 1 upgrade: +10% energy. In CW3 there will be many more.

tornado

Look it up by looking in
The help guide for cw1
If you haven't got it
Your problem not mine

Spoiler
ie:cw training sim
Or the main game
[close]
Now CEO of Particular Endeavors. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=23752.new#new
We apologize for all inconveniences that we caused.
Quotefirst, you have to imagine a very big box, fitting inside a very samll box.
then, you have to build one

UpperKEES

Lol! ;D

A CW1 reactor always delivers 0.3 energy. A collector produces 0.004 energy per green square (max = 45 x 0.004 = 0.18).

Suggested further reading:
- Virgil about reactors
- CW1 Game Mechanics Quiz

Chawe800

Quote from: UpperKEES on February 23, 2013, 09:34:37 AM
Maybe nice to know that the efficiency-ratio between a collector and a reactor is about 4 :1, while this was about 2:1 in CW1. :)

So there really isn't that much point in making reactors is there.
I am actually really upset that collectors seem to be NEARLY useless and after 5 minutes there is no point in making collectors when Reactors make so much more energy. I understand we're really far into game development(really far)but I let out a little whimper to see all that empty unused space in videos and screenshots.

In CW1 there was reason for making Reactors much stronger because of the lack of space. But in CW3 there is much more space so it would make sense to make collectors more important and powerful in proportion to reactors. But I trust and respect Virgil's decision

I just want collectors to be a little bit more important.

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

Grauniad

Quote from: tornado on February 23, 2013, 09:53:10 AM
either way lets focus on heavy artillery

just what i know.
tornado

PS:rhyme not intended.

Hello Tornado.

I think you misinterpreted something that you read in the user guides.

Collectors in CW1 collect a small fraction of energy for every green cell. If they are at their biggest area, they collect .18 energy per collector. If you put collectors so their green areas (we call it Soylent Green - look it up ;)) overlap, they don't create more energy. So widely spaced collectors are the most energy-efficient configuration.

Reactors in CW2 collect about .3 energy per reactor. You can stick them as close together as you wish, but they must be connected to the network via collectors or relays.

There is only an upgrade for energy efficiency. It is applied as a multiplier to the total amount of energy collected.

Your model would cause very large energy spikes. Suppose we have 50 collectors that each collect .18 energy for a total of 9 energy . Now we build one reactor and we get an increase of 1 energy per collector to a total of 59 energy!
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

UpperKEES

Quote from: Chawe800 on February 24, 2013, 05:04:40 PM
So there really isn't that much point in making reactors is there.
I am actually really upset that collectors seem to be NEARLY useless and after 5 minutes there is no point in making collectors when Reactors make so much more energy. I understand we're really far into game development(really far)but I let out a little whimper to see all that empty unused space in videos and screenshots.

In CW1 there was reason for making Reactors much stronger because of the lack of space. But in CW3 there is much more space so it would make sense to make collectors more important and powerful in proportion to reactors. But I trust and respect Virgil's decision

I just want collectors to be a little bit more important.

You will have to build more reactors than you think (or initially have space for). ;) CW3 weapons demand more energy. I can't go into details as you may understand, but the 10-20 energy that was usually sufficient to beat a CW1 map won't be enough in CW3. This means space still remains a constraint and reactors will still be required to operate your units properly.

To me balance is the most important aspect of the game. I have looked into these issues a lot (and still do so), to make sure that every unit has its place and none of them are overpowered. The same goes for applied upgrades for instance.

By the way, you are right that maps can be larger (although they don't have to be), but that doesn't mean you will have more space to build. With 10 elevation levels there will be much more uneven terrain and if there is flat terrain, the Creeper arrive will sooner (as emitters are also stronger). It's all up to the map makers to make it interesting. Maybe now you think: I will just use a Terp to flatten my entire base, but you will first need the resources for that. That is, if the map maker decided to let you build a Terp in the first place..... ;)

Edit:

I think I misunderstood you after you misunderstood me. In CW1 a collector was about twice as efficient as a reactor (half the output, but 4 times as cheap). In CW3 a collector is even more powerful compared to what you have to invest to build it, so whenever you have the space for them, it's definitely the best option (just like it is in CW1). This however doesn't mean energy has become cheap, as you can read above.

4xC

You all have me confused. In the CW1 unit database on the gameitself, it says under reactors that they can produce energy from single points in space time even though it says they improve collector intake technology as well. Why do I see stuff that says they do not produce energy and only help collectors on this forum when the database in question seems to say otherwise?

By the way, to those who think that CN's collect energy, I have to question that thought. As we have seen in the blog clips, CN's do not have the same collection fields that Odin City has, so how can it collect its own energy exactly? I heard that CN's have their own reactors to collect small amounts of energy like OC has those small collection fields, but something does not make sense about this.

Speaking of collection, how can CW3 players currently tell what the actual rates of collection and depletion for energy and AC are? All there appears to be are bars with no numbers and ergo, no displayable rates.

On an unrelated note: having seen it said on this thread that the Crawler is a land version of the spore and phantom, I suddenly feel like someone has only taken the old Worm's ability to move underground.
C,C,C,C

Karsten75

Quote from: 4xC on February 25, 2013, 03:07:52 PM
You all have me confused. In the CW1 unit database on the gameitself, it says under reactors that they can produce energy from single points in space time even though it says they improve collector intake technology as well. Why do I see stuff that says they do not produce energy and only help collectors on this forum when the database in question seems to say otherwise?

By the way, to those who think that CN's collect energy, I have to question that thought. As we have seen in the blog clips, CN's do not have the same collection fields that Odin City has, so how can it collect its own energy exactly? I heard that CN's have their own reactors to collect small amounts of energy like OC has those small collection fields, but something does not make sense about this.

Speaking of collection, how can CW3 players currently tell what the actual rates of collection and depletion for energy and AC are? All there appears to be are bars with no numbers and ergo, no displayable rates.

On an unrelated note: having seen it said on this thread that the Crawler is a land version of the spore and phantom, I suddenly feel like someone has only taken the old Worm's ability to move underground.

My guess is that English is maybe not your first language (if you ask me.. :)) That can explain the interpertation problem with what Virgil wrote way back with CW1. And would explain a lot of weird CW1  maps I've seem over time.

What Virgil really intended to say was that collectors need space (level terrain) to be most efficient and reactors are more efficient than collectors. The energy obtained from collectors and reactors are independent and not a influenced by one another.

4xC

So reactors do make their own energy? Is that what you are telling me? That is all I wanted to know.

And by the way, English happens to be my native tongue, pal. The interpretation problem is the fact that fan's words seem to decide a lot of things until late in time when there is confirmation or change that is completely unexpected.
C,C,C,C

MizInIA

Quote from: 4xC on February 25, 2013, 03:07:52 PM

I think I remember Virgil saying in one of the videos that there is still a top status bar like in CW2 but it is hideable (sp) and he has it hidden to see more of the map.

Shrike30

I'd like to see it have a couple of possible locations, one of them being alongside my bottom menu. Rather than being centered, have the bottom (build?) menu slid to the left, and my economy information displayed in the newly available space on the right.