CW3 Suggestions Redux

Started by knucracker, November 01, 2012, 11:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrike30

Yeah, balancing this one would be tricky.  Either exponential costs for increasing wind values, exponential or limited costs over time, or both combined would be good.  I see the primary use being the storm effect.

Ronini

Quote from: lurkily on February 19, 2013, 05:22:45 PM
I don't think wind manip should be sustainable at all.  It should be something you can charge up, then run for a maximum of X amount of time, not something you can run continuously just because you have enough reactors.

I think being able to establish even a temporary wind is incredibly helpful.  Being able to globally manipulate forces on a permanent basis because you have enough reactors is too much.  Limiting the request rate to charge this device slowly should be enough to limit this, I think.

I'm absolutely fine either way. Have it work continuously or for a limited time. That has nothing to do with a power cap (Although one might argue for a higher limit if the time is restricted).

If there were a time limit for the wind generator, it would charge up like very much like a maker. Then, different power settings would draw the stored energy at a different pace, so you have small effects over a longer time and stronger effects over a shorter time. It would be fine to stop the generator charging while it is active. I'm not yet sure if it should have the ability to activate without being fully charged. I lean towards it having to be fully charged before you can use it. This would raise other issues, though (e.g. what do you do if the generator is deactivated half-empty? Do you have to wait until it's fully charged again to reactivate it?)

Quote from: Shrike30 on February 19, 2013, 09:33:17 PM
I see the primary use being the storm effect.

Honestly, I don't care much about the storm effect.

lurkily

I would say wait for a full charge.  I would prefer not to introduce tactics like wind 'flickering', as is required on some CW2 maps with dark beams, if avoidable.

Kingo

Quote from: UpperKEES on February 19, 2013, 12:07:25 AM
Quote from: Kingo on February 18, 2013, 11:11:24 PM
Virgil said that at most, he'd release CW3 sometime in the first quarter of 2013.

No, he didn't. Listen carefully between 25:30 and 26:30.

It will be done when Virgil is happy with it and proud of it. And that's how it should be.

Now please be patient, so you will be able to play a game that will meet everyone's expectations.

What do you think i'm doing in the meantime? :P
I think he wrote the "publish in first quarter" thing in a different blog post...
Or my desperate mind made up that little lie to keep me going :)
Well, all I can say is I can't wait to see what the final product will be like :)

lurkily

Quote from: Kingo on February 20, 2013, 10:12:54 PMWhat do you think i'm doing in the meantime? :P
I think he wrote the "publish in first quarter" thing in a different blog post...
Or my desperate mind made up that little lie to keep me going :)
Well, all I can say is I can't wait to see what the final product will be like :)
I think he did, at one point, say something like that he wanted to publish by the end of the year, or at latest, first quarter.  After that, though, he said in-video 'Definitely within this next year, probably first half, first quarter, hmm, maybe.' (Paraphrased.)

Grauniad

This is what Virgil uses as his indicator for readiness... Simply substitute "game" for "wine."

What Virgil wishes is not really relevant - as my venerable grandfather (may his soul rest in peace) used to say: "if wishes were horses, beggars would ride."

And I now have a very strong suggestion. The next poster that posts twice about ship dates. even if separated by a number of posts, or days, weeks, will start experiencing posting bans.

I'm really tired of hearing about "When will the game ship?" and having to go through the same routine every time... 
* Grauniad mutters something about a FAQ as he stomps away.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

ShadowDragon7015

New Enemy Unit Suggestion: Crawler

Is produced in a nest or enemy unit. Then moves around and finds one of the player's supply lines, goes along it and blows up on a random unit along the supply path. Will have fairly low health so it can be easily stopped, but will move quickly once it reaches a supply line. Also moves faster if on digitalis. Health or speed could be adjusted by the person making the map. Also could be given a splash radius for if it hits a unit in an area where a player has built up a group of reactors like a radius of 1-3 sub-cells around the detonation area. Also as an added feature if you destroy all of the units on the path that lead from the Crawler's current position to the Command Center, it will blow up at its current position.

p.s. I had no idea what to do for a name for the unit.
Hiding the golden creeper for years to come.

hoodwink

Quote from: ShadowDragon7015 on February 21, 2013, 12:34:14 PM
New Enemy Unit Suggestion: Crawler

Is produced in a nest or enemy unit. Then moves around and finds one of the player's supply lines, goes along it and blows up on a random unit along the supply path. Will have fairly low health so it can be easily stopped, but will move quickly once it reaches a supply line. Also moves faster if on digitalis. Health or speed could be adjusted by the person making the map. Also could be given a splash radius for if it hits a unit in an area where a player has built up a group of reactors like a radius of 1-3 sub-cells around the detonation area. Also as an added feature if you destroy all of the units on the path that lead from the Crawler's current position to the Command Center, it will blow up at its current position.

p.s. I had no idea what to do for a name for the unit.

I remember something almost exactly like this being suggested and turned down quite a few pages back in this thread or the old one.
Will even more likely be turned down now than then. :(
Stare not into the abyss, or it has hasten in its approach.
~ Hoodwink (thesmish, smish777 or sigil)

ShadowDragon7015

If its turned down then can someone PM me the CRPL code for making a unit trail along the network?

4xC

You know, if we are generally trying to come up with new Titan ideas, I think at this point they should at least be almost just super weapons. I have seen quite a few Titan ideas that do not have as much substance on the offensive as the bertha does an. Even the crawler appears to have some sort of economic/infrastructure-related limit. I am thinking super weapons that pretty much load up on packets and do something highly painful or manipulative to creeper (for one thing, the bertha has a large shot that clears a large amount of concentrated creeper seemingly regardless of depth and has infinite range.

On an unrelated note: one thing I would like to see is more of a need for tiny patches of ground (at other levels (like in the Aether clip on the blog) on a large, otherwise flat stretch of ground where infrastructure happens) to be terraformed. Maybe not a need, but I think there ought to be a significant benefit noted for terraforming ground at your starting base so that it is all flat and has none of those specs of uneven ground. At the moment, it appears there is almost (I repeat: ALMOST) no good reason to terraform for non-offensive reasons.

Also, I am beginning to wonder if there should be a need for void to be able to be made into ground by either something on the creeper or good side. After seeing CW2 gateways affect the terrain, I think the creeper side in 3 should have something that can affect the terrain here.
C,C,C,C

J

Currently CRPL can change terrain and add/remove walls. The only thing CRPL can't (or I don't know about it) is join the player network and ask for packets.

UpperKEES

It could however scan the area for collectors, move from one to another and do terrible things over there (except asking for packets).
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Michionlion

What you could do is have a place to build a 'sacrifice' unit, that the core would then destroy (or use in some other way) for energy or whatever.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Chawe800

Well I think Virgil is looking for a unit that doesn't require a crap load of packets and destroys a large amount of creeper. I think he would prefer some sort of unique mechanic that doesn't completely change to game but provides a unique asset.

As for this Crawler enemy isn't that essentially just a land phantom?
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

ShadowDragon7015

Thats partially what i was thinking of for the crawler. it would be like a phantom.