CW3 Suggestions Redux

Started by knucracker, November 01, 2012, 11:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chawe800

Dude let the guppy thing go  :P

I think we're all set on using a guppy buffer

Well I doubt the Forge thingy will be on all maps, and I would prefer having something mobile and effective that costs energy (or shake things up and have it use AC even though it doesn't fire any AC)
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

Ronini

Quote from: Chawe800 on February 10, 2013, 05:03:07 PM
We seem to enough enough weapons that are created to destroy creeper. I think titan suggestions are currently focused around clever creeper manipulating mechanics.

It's a good idea but isn't that just one giant shield and doesn't that just ruin the mechanic of the wind in CW3 maps. If you can cancel out the wind the map has then there's no purpose in the wind.

It's not just a giant shield. You could pull the creeper towards you, too. Or push it to one side. Plus, you can turn it on and off and change directions mid-mission.

You could always disable it in your custom map if you think the wind shouldn't be altered.

Also I don't liek the particular idea, it could be fueled by ac.

Twi

Quote from: Chawe800 on February 10, 2013, 05:03:07 PM
We seem to enough enough weapons that are created to destroy creeper. I think titan suggestions are currently focused around clever creeper manipulating mechanics.

Of course, there are only so many of those to go around, either.

I like the idea of a shockwave and/or implosion based weapon, but it sounds like the latter is already covered.

Soooo...

Tesla and Torpedo both sound nifty. Economic titan is obviously something that isn't there yet, but again, balance.

Maybe a terrain manipulation-related Titan? Like, a ground-leveling missile or something.

Orrr! A defensive Titan that buffs a targeted unit(s)' health/defense/regen! That could be useful, too.
Currently watching: ARIA, Dog Days, and other unlikely things.
And some likely things, too!

lurkily

V did say, some maps will not permit you to build a forge, some will not permit a forge at all, others will not have strictures, but no totems.

Not keen on terrain-manip.  Terps are already too strong, I think.

Another idea that's run through my mind is a titan that permits the players to directly manipulate forces - literally introduce forces to the map, just paint it onto the map.  This would probably be used for the same things as things like shield/singularity scenarios though, so I'm not sure how much more useful it is. 

Twi

Agree with lurkily there: it'd be just doing the same things that are already done.

If I'm not mistaken, though, one idea that seems to keep popping up in one form or another is something that does a bit of damage over a wide area. It would certainly be neat to have something to that effect.

If we're not doing terrain-manip, and most things based around forces can be done with what we already have, that leaves us with defensive, economic, different ways to kill Creeper, or something that does a normal function or two in an unusual way (ie, the 'airship' Titan). Or something radically different that I can't think of.

Plus whatever ideas slipped by me.

Ronini

I doubt there is any real use for anything economy related. The only thing you could improve (other than with the forge's upgrades) is output. But before you have the energy to build a titan you should be in a position where you do not really need it or could just as well replace it with additional reactors.

However, there is no real need for any additional titan, is there?

Twi

Quote from: Ronini on February 11, 2013, 11:06:43 AM
However, there is no real need for any additional titan, is there?
But the menu looks so sparse with only two! :P

lurkily

The economic titan I had in mind was the one which could produce ore from energy or energy from ore, etc.  The idea there was to supplement the ore deposits on the map, for those who like using AC, and for those who don't, to give them a reason to fight for the ore mines as a source of energy.  But I don't think it has quite enough utility to qualify as a titan, really.

Also, Virgil said on the blog that he was going to seek a roster of three titans.

Chawe800

No offense, But I personally don't really like the idea of a Unit that can turn Ore into Energy or vice versa. It seems like it ruins the point of having ore deposit on a map. I could tolerate and ore into energy convertor but I don't want players to be able to turn your energy into ore. This would ruin the purpose of having ore deposits and maps with any ore deposits could be cheated with having ore.

So I think most maps would disable this unit and if the unit isn't being used in most maps there really isn't a point to adding it.
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

lurkily

As long as efficiency was basically a rip-off, I would hope that it would remain supplemental only.  Early game it would drain too much energy to use alone, and once you have an ore deposit or to, it would only be useful if you were intent on using AC over energy-based weapons.

I still don't think it has enough utility to qualify as a titan, though.

J

Titan: Shield generator:
It can create shields over other units to defend them against the creeper. It takes some energy and time to create a shield over an unit. After that it will drain a little bit of energy (0.005/frame, 0.15/sec) while not being attacked by creeper and a lot of energy (0.1/frame, 3/sec) when the creeper touches the shield. The energy is drained from the generator. Weapons that need a line of sight (pulse cannons, snipers and sprayers) can't fire while in a shield while pads (guppy, strafer) and launchers can. Once the creeper gets higher than 2 it will flow into the shield and the shield explodes. The shield can only be created when the unit is not in the creeper and the shield will go away when you move the unit away.

Why is this helpful? Your units will be able to stay in the creeper while other weapons defend it to avoid that the creeper gets higher than 2. Imagine you have built a relay in a valley to bridge a gap, when the creeper flows in it's very hard to defend it and the connection is lost. It's a lot easier to keep the creeper lower than 2. Another use case is when you can put a launcher on a PZ that gets drowned in creeper soon, if you can't supply it you can build relays there and shield them too.

hoodwink

Quote from: J on February 12, 2013, 02:36:54 AM
Titan: Shield generator:
It can create shields over other units to defend them against the creeper. It takes some energy and time to create a shield over an unit. After that it will drain a little bit of energy (0.005/frame, 0.15/sec) while not being attacked by creeper and a lot of energy (0.1/frame, 3/sec) when the creeper touches the shield. The energy is drained from the generator. Weapons that need a line of sight (pulse cannons, snipers and sprayers) can't fire while in a shield while pads (guppy, strafer) and launchers can. Once the creeper gets higher than 2 it will flow into the shield and the shield explodes. The shield can only be created when the unit is not in the creeper and the shield will go away when you move the unit away.

Would you be able to 'shield' non-weapon units, like relays? That way you can create (or rather, protect) bridges of network that would normally be destroyed.
Stare not into the abyss, or it has hasten in its approach.
~ Hoodwink (thesmish, smish777 or sigil)

Ronini

I'd scrap the level 2 creeper limit, but restrict the shield to non-weapon units, only. I would especially exclude nullifiers.
Why would I keep a unit where it is in danger of being destroyed, when it cannot fire? And shouldn't a mortar on a pz be able to keep clear of creeper in almost any case? Especially if you were to aid him with one or two PC, which should and would be cheaper than the shield generator.

UpperKEES

What about a Creeper ship, or even submarine? It can only function when surrounded by Creeper (minimum of 1 elevation layer) and will provide connections when in range of land units. Its crazonium alloy prevents destruction. Can be moved around slowly and is able to drop depth charges. If you kill the Creeper around it too soon, it will be stuck. Will also float on anti-Creeper.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

ShadowDragon7015

That sounds kind of cool. The submarine or ship could be sent to an area and have a weapon of some sort and it could attack the creeper. It would be great for trying to attack some of those really powerful emitters.
Hiding the golden creeper for years to come.