CW3 Suggestions Redux

Started by knucracker, November 01, 2012, 11:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chawe800

I personally I want to see a suicidal vacuum balloon. Send it deep inside creeper, activate it, and watch it suck creeper into itself for like 15 seconds and then explode causing the player to distribute the creeper to other less pressurized places.
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

Twi

Quote from: Chawe800 on February 09, 2013, 02:57:37 PM
I personally I want to see a suicidal vacuum balloon. Send it deep inside creeper, activate it, and watch it suck creeper into itself for like 15 seconds and then explode causing the player to distribute the creeper to other less pressurized places.

Sounds neat, but how useful would it be, really?
Currently watching: ARIA, Dog Days, and other unlikely things.
And some likely things, too!

UpperKEES

Quote from: Chawe800 on February 09, 2013, 02:57:37 PM

I'd love to see this too!

Quote from: Twi on February 09, 2013, 03:26:59 PM

Good question! All that Creeper packed together for a while..... Doesn't seem useful at all....
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Lirianer

Maybe to kill it faster with blasters?, or at least to gain a little more time.

Twi

Quote from: UpperKEES on February 09, 2013, 03:42:38 PM

Good question! All that Creeper packed together for a while..... Doesn't seem useful at all....

Ow! Ow! Ow! That sarcasm! So sharp! Ow! I give up! Uncle! Spare meeee!

Chawe800

Well timed Bertha shots,
Mortar shelling zone,
Recedes the creeper on the front line allowing for a quick push to establish a better position.
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

UpperKEES

Quote from: Twi on February 09, 2013, 03:47:17 PM
Ow! Ow! Ow! That sarcasm! So sharp! Ow! I give up! Uncle! Spare meeee!

Sorry dear Twi! :P
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Twi

Quote from: UpperKEES on February 09, 2013, 04:00:41 PM
Sorry dear Twi! :P
It's fine, that WAS a pretty stupid statement anyways. :P

Chawe800

We're all just a big happy family.

Shrike30

Quote from: Ronini on February 09, 2013, 06:12:34 AM
Then again, in all honesty, how often do you build storage devices in CW1 or upgrade storage in CW2 (because you need to, and not because you have the technytes left over)?
On pretty much any map that involves bursts of demand for resources.  It may be my playstyle, but I've got a tendancy to do things like stack up a bunch of blasters and missiles near an area, then remove the wall blocking my lines of fire.  There's a huge surge in demand for the first few seconds of that, and with the default 20 energy storage, I'd almost immediately be running a deficit economy.  Storage is dirt cheap (3 technytes gets me 100, rather than 20) and just makes things go more smoothly.

I think Lurkily's got a good idea with giving Guppies a "buffer" mode (fly to a location and just stay there, collect packets if they're available on the network, distribute packets if they're not).  It'd keep all of the functions required for remote operations on one unit, and wouldn't look nearly as silly as a Guppy flying to a spot immediately next to it's landing pad.  Also solves the issue of what happens when your "buffer" guppy isn't fully charged when all the "supply" guppies leave the base.

tornado

Quote from: Chawe800 on February 09, 2013, 04:05:49 PM
We're all just a big happy family.

I can agree with that mate(!)

And since I'm posting here's an idea
You take a pulse canons shots and you fill
Them with anti-creeper.
Also airship idea awesome.
Could drop ant-creeper bombs
And possibly a superwepon al in one.

Just a suggestion

Tornado

Ps:you can attach cw3 files to these posts
Why!!!!!!!!!!no one has it yet! No sanity!
Now CEO of Particular Endeavors. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=23752.new#new
We apologize for all inconveniences that we caused.
Quotefirst, you have to imagine a very big box, fitting inside a very samll box.
then, you have to build one

Lirianer

Quote from: tornado on February 09, 2013, 04:57:47 PM

Them with anti-creeper.

Just a suggestion

Tornado

About the blasters shooting anti-creeper, your asnwer are Sprayers

About the airship, it's already done. Bombers. (All those red airships just deployed AC bombs.)

Hope you check the rest of the blog :)

Twi

Quote from: Lirianer on February 09, 2013, 05:13:18 PM
Quote from: tornado on February 09, 2013, 04:57:47 PM

Them with anti-creeper.

Just a suggestion

Tornado

About the blasters shooting anti-creeper, your asnwer are Sprayers

About the airship, it's already done. Bombers. (All those red airships just deployed AC bombs.)

Hope you check the rest of the blog :)

Stop making my suggestion look bad!

I mean, yeah, what he said. :)

Also, beta tester forums.

lurkily

Increasing ammo capacities is a way to provide a buffer, but too much buffer makes things less interesting.  Overcoming your limitations is what makes things interesting, to paraphrase Brandon Sanderson.  Overcoming them by erasing them is only interesting once, though, while effectively operating despite them is interesting through the entire mission.

The only idea I really like here is 4: the spotter.  I very much like the idea of a unit that can expand the capabilities of other units.  However, PZ's are already on the table, and upgrades are affected by the PZ boost, as well - ranges are already very, very flexible.  I can't imagine using a unit like this after a range upgrade or two.
Quote from: Shrike30 on February 09, 2013, 04:43:08 PMI think Lurkily's got a good idea with giving Guppies a "buffer" mode (fly to a location and just stay there, collect packets if they're available on the network, distribute packets if they're not).  It'd keep all of the functions required for remote operations on one unit, and wouldn't look nearly as silly as a Guppy flying to a spot immediately next to it's landing pad.  Also solves the issue of what happens when your "buffer" guppy isn't fully charged when all the "supply" guppies leave the base.
Another thought here was to have guppies deploy a 'destination pad'.  The destination pad dispenses packets, and recieves them from guppies, leaving guppies free to transit packets.  In order to change destinations, a guppy would have to retrieve the destination pad, and move it to the new location.  Destruction of the destination pad requires the guppy to return to base, and for the player to re-invest the cost of the guppy pad to rebuild what was destroyed, before the guppy can be dispatched again.

My main objection to this is that it does a lot to eliminate the gap between deliveries, and it does it with very little effort.  It makes the limitations of guppies a lot less interesting.

Chawe800

Im pretty sure using a storage in place could certainly pool into a buffer. Having guppies hook up into a storage for redistribution should work just fine without having guppies set up, and having an alternate setting for a Forward Operating buffer. A storage should work as a buffer guppy perfectly

I really want to see an option where I can construct reactors connected to storages so that I can have a self sustaining base not connected to the command nodes. I doubt this will happen though because I don't think Virgil designed CW3 for it and it would eliminate guppies.

Just a thought