Custom Map: Hard Art 8: Mooon

Started by AutoPost, November 17, 2010, 08:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

Thanks Colin. It's indeed a bit of a struggle, but that ensures more satisfaction in the end!
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Cary

Pretty hard map. Nice work.

Build:
Reactor
Collector
Collector
Reactor
Mortar
Reactor
Reactor
Reactor
Mortar
Reactor
Reactor
Reactor

UpperKEES

Thanks Cary! :)

Nice to see everyone has their own approach; yours resulting in a great time!

Quote from: UpperKEES on November 17, 2010, 09:37:03 PM
By the way: my time was set during testing (actually the first time I finished it after the final changes), so it's not a good one. Don't let it discourage people, because I'm sure 6-7 minutes can be shaved off. :)

Okay, let's make that 9 minutes. ;) I'll be trying soon.

UpperKEES

Gave it another shot and just didn't manage to get it done under 20 minutes. Still made lots of mistakes however, so a completion time around 17-18 minutes is certainly possible.

Cary

Do not make me play it again.   :D

UpperKEES

Well, that took me a few more tries this time....

Your turn! :P

Spoiler
PS: you can build your second mortar a lot later when you place the first one well. :)
[close]

Cary

My Kingdom for a Save/Load button.  >:(

UpperKEES

Yeah, going over that initial energy generation process can be a bit boring and fast forward (double speed) doesn't really help you when you like to build your reactors exactly at the moment your energy levels allow for that.

Just a few more months until CW2 gets released with a mid-game save option! :)

Cary

16:54

If you wish I can teach you how to play this game.   ;D

Fisherck

Ooooooh, what a fun map. :) Except for the beggining (like already stated), I had a very good time playing it. Definitely one of my favorites, I might even have to play it again... ;).

For me, I had a hard time deciding whether to use mortars or drones. Drones are cheaper, but mortars target, hitting more creeper... But I decided on mortars for the beggining and 1 drone at the end.

Quote from: Cary on November 23, 2010, 02:00:06 PM

If you wish I can teach you how to play this game.   ;D

Looks like I can teach you a bit to. :D But give UpperKEES a little while and he will be teaching all of us. ;D

Edit:
Oh, and of course, I love the piece of art behind it too. Both UpperKEES and Miss Melissa did a very nice job (Ha ha, there is another job :D)! It makes wonder though, when Miss Melissa makes a new piece of art, if she starts thinking about how well it can be made into a map for CW ;D
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

Cary

14:42

AAGGGGRRRR!

I have to change my strategy completely.  >:(

To Fisherck:
It was funny map, before you came.  ;D

UpperKEES

Quote from: Cary on November 23, 2010, 02:00:06 PM

If you wish I can teach you how to play this game.   ;D

Heheh! :D You're a funny guy.... I think.... ;)

Quote from: Fisherck on November 23, 2010, 04:10:24 PM
Ooooooh, what a fun map. :) Except for the beggining (like already stated), I had a very good time playing it. Definitely one of my favorites, I might even have to play it again... ;).

Thanks Fish, that's great to hear from a good player like you! :)

By the way: I believe the start of a map should constrain the player at least a little, because with 20 energy after 4 minutes any player can finish easily.

For me, I had a hard time deciding whether to use mortars or drones. Drones are cheaper, but mortars target, hitting more creeper... But I decided on mortars for the beggining and 1 drone at the end.

Spoiler
I also used both (2 or 3 drones in the end) but I'll definitely have to scale down to be able to beat your time.
[close]

Looks like I can teach you a bit to. :D But give UpperKEES a little while and he will be teaching all of us. ;D

I think the time I was teaching you is in the past, as I've been replaying almost all of my recent maps several times because of you! 8) I like that though and it's nice too see how much a player can improve in such a short while.

Quote from: Cary on November 23, 2010, 05:15:37 PM
14:42

AAGGGGRRRR!

I have to change my strategy completely.  >:(

So do I. ;) Nice to see this competition here! I noticed you playing two of my maps before I think and it seems you also improved quite a bit. :)

Quote from: Cary on November 23, 2010, 05:15:37 PM
To Fisherck:
It was funny map, before you came.  ;D

I like it myself as well (although it might start to become frustrating at this point :P).

Let's not forget the design was actually made by Miss Melissa who is rather good in creating CW maps without knowing it. She just calls it art. ;D

snowmaker (JM)

Well, starting out at 49 min and getting it under 20 min is good for me. Another fun map Kees! I tried the single mortar for awhile and that kept the creeper at bay which allowed for a quicker buildup. I look forward until the next one  ;D

JM

UpperKEES

Thanks JM! :)

Improving your score by 30 minutes indeed isn't bad at all! I bet you changed your strategy as well during your various attempts. I'm still puzzling where to improve mine to be able to beat Fisherck's time.

Next map will be released today. It's the last one in the Hard Art series, but there's more to come! 8)

snowmaker (JM)

Quote from: UpperKEES on November 24, 2010, 06:50:01 AM
Thanks JM! :)

Improving your score by 30 minutes indeed isn't bad at all! I bet you changed your strategy as well during your various attempts. I'm still puzzling where to improve mine to be able to beat Fisherck's time.

Next map will be released today. It's the last one in the Hard Art series, but there's more to come! 8)

You probably need a lot less energy then I end up with... better use of relays, moving OC, pick up the upgrades sooner, securing the bottom left corner sooner... just some ideas I would use next time.

I have a tendency to leave mortars and/or blasters in there place too long, so they end up not targeting the creeper efficiently.