Ed.'s picks

Started by Karsten75, April 05, 2010, 01:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

Note: Recent additions highlighted in red.

I look at all the maps. It is a pretty cool thing, but it is also frustrating as anything, because so many people seem to focus on making incredibly hard, if not near impossible, maps. There is little or no room for error. A second wasted, a tower build off by ½ square and you are doomed. You have to have several starts before you can figure out how to stay alive, nevermind expanding to conquer the totems.  And talking about totems, there are maps with 40, 50 or more totems out there.

It is refreshing to find intelligent maps, that are actually fun and relaxing to play. Maps that you can certainly lose, but that also allow you to recover or to be less precise on placement and timing. Maps that as tester, I find myself playing to the very end. Maps that are not walkovers, but that also not walk over me.

I'm reminded of what Virgil said here.
Quote from: virgilw on April 05, 2010, 08:49:40 AM
I designed the game to be on the easy to medium side of difficulty for most of the missions.  There are a few missions with some challenge (the first few times you play them), but nothing really terribly difficult.
Video game design has trended towards easier accessibility over the years, and for good reason.  We all play to have fun mostly... not to climb mountains all of the time.  Once we are good at having fun, then we want a challenge.

CW was designed so that the built in missions (55 of them) are pretty accessible, but the community generated maps can span the spectrum from trivial to very, very challenging.

So, to highlight those maps that I as a middling player find accessible, I'm starting this thread.

I apologize to the 300-400 older maps I reviewed, and the 100-200 even older maps I played, but I will not go back to see which of those maps I found delightful. This will purely be for maps from here on forward. If anyone else suggests a map and I recall having liked that map, I may add it to this list retroactively.

Maps added on 03/06/2011

Maps added on 02/23/2011

Maps added on 8/13/2010

Maps added on 8/9/2010

• The City by MadMag. In fact, many maps from this author should be here.

Maps added 7/21/2010

• Stepstones  by Janus Kjempff is a tremendously well-thought-out first-time effort.

Maps on 7/20/2010

Maps on 7/10/2010

Maps on 6/13/2010

Map added on 6/6/2010

Maps on 4/25/2010

Maps on 4/24/2010

Maps on 4/20/2010

Maps on 4/11/2010

Maps on 4/10/2010

Maps on 4/7/2010

Maps on 4/5/2010:

Older maps:

Xylnalya

I have seen both a lot of 'trivial' and a lot of 'expert only' maps - They are both directed to different types of players. Either those, that want a tough challenge or those that want a relaxed game. Both of these player-types have fun with what they're doing.
As a mapmaker I find it most difficult to make a map that appeals to both of these types. It's the hardest part of making a decent content, no matter what the game. Making a list such as you're doing right now sure is a good idea - to have the rare finds stand out a little. Many people will still disagree with it, though, and that can't be avoided. I'd like to suggest one of my own maps (and yeah, only that one) as a candidate for this list :P Watcha thinkin'? XD

Karsten75

I loved playing Fractal! It's added.

Xylnalya

Well.

That was faster than expected.

... XD

Blaze

Check Out Project Void Chapter 1 and 2

Loved them cause you can lose-but not right away.
You have to wait-if you want to. Even while waiting there is stuff to do.
High intensity emitters, good challenge-but fun.

Loved it so much I actually named the groups of blasters Alpha, Bravo and Charlie.  :D   

Karsten75

Karsten75

Found an oldie but quite nice, even if trivial.

Grrr by Hazylady.

GVS

What about that old map Volcano by Xenocat? That one was pretty good.

http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/mapcomments.php?id=719&page=
Hey hey hey, if u click on the link below good things will happen for me (and maybe you too but who cares anyway) So click on it!

(^^^) shark

http://www.omgpop.com/?r=zpfy

Karsten75

Added: Author: JoeBenda. Map: Ocean Trench.

Karsten75

Quote from: GorgonVonSchlichenbacher on April 10, 2010, 01:40:35 PM
What about that old map Volcano by Xenocat? That one was pretty good.

http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/mapcomments.php?id=719&page=

Thanks for the recommendation. I don't remember playing it. If I do and I like it, I will add it.

Karsten75

Adding Mountain Base by Spartan to my list of picks.

Karsten75

SPIFFEN

Hmm it suprices me that map with no scores are added to you list ,
but i might have misunderstood something here .
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

Karsten75

Quote from: SPIFFEN on April 12, 2010, 06:48:20 AM
Hmm it suprices me that map with no scores are added to you list ,
but i might have misunderstood something here .

When I play a map  in pre-approval mode, my score is not added to the list. SO even though I completed the map, if the author did not post a score before approval, there is no score showing. But rest assured, I did play all the maps in my list to the end. But after playing about 40 maps yesterday, I didn't feel up to playing the same map after approval.

SPIFFEN

Ok , he he then you play alot of maps =) .
Dont wear yourself out now , we all need the team of this game to be activ as long as possible =)
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links