Option to turn off Custom Tiles/Backgrounds

Started by LanceChristophr, September 30, 2011, 12:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LanceChristophr

Tried a search and I haven't seen anybody suggest this.

Sometimes I go to play what could be a GREAT map (either CW1 and moreso now in CW2) but either the background or tiles just ruin it.

I think there should be an option or a keystroke or something that lets you switch between original tiles/art and the custom ones!!

Anyone?
[◕_◕]
/[ ]\
UU

http://www.lancefama.com/

MadMag

You can always load up the map in the editor and set default tiles... No scores uploaded, but hey :)

mthw2vc

This will never be implemented. In some maps, a part of the challenge may be dealing with limitations in your display. For those whose background is simply annoying, well... Why play an annoying map?

MadMag

Ranakastrasz

Quote from: mthw2vc on September 30, 2011, 06:33:02 PM
This will never be implemented. In some maps, a part of the challenge may be dealing with limitations in your display. For those whose background is simply annoying, well... Why play an annoying map?

Indeed. Would the ability to use your own custom tiles for any map that used default tiles already be possible Viable?

Kithros

There was one map that was kind of interesting (albeit not my style of map) where the background and creeper were all pitch black, and you had to use anti-creeper to see the open areas - again, while it certainly isn't my style of map, changing something like this would make a map like that pretty pointless and I can understand some people finding maps like that being fun.

Cavemaniac

Quote from: LanceChristophr on September 30, 2011, 12:52:26 PM

Sometimes I go to play what could be a GREAT map (either CW1 and more so now in CW2) but either the background or tiles just ruin it.

I think there should be an option or a keystroke or something that lets you switch between original tiles/art and the custom ones!!

I'm glad you brought this up, as this has been on my mind for a while now.

I appreciate the reasons why we'll never be able to revert to the original tiles, and I've taken on-board the advice to not play a map with tiles I don't like...

...but...

...there's more going on here than that.

Perhaps I'm getting old (I'm certainly getting crotchety) but I find it really difficult to adjust to different tiles.

It's like learning to play CW2 all over again.

This means that when I get a map with custom tiles, I'm either playing my favourite game at a disadvantage (compared to younger/more adaptable players) or I can choose not to play what may very well be a great map, and so miss out on a fun experience...

Some of the custom tiles are fantastic, and most important of all (from my point of view), make sense. I'm thinking specifically of MadMag's Tower attack map and the blueprint  tiles (don't know who was responsible for them). The tiles are used in a logical manner and are different enough from the original so as not to cause confusion.

Where I really struggle is with variations of existing themes which have been changed from the norm for no apparent reason, to no apparent advantage.

I don't have a solution - I'm just putting forward my own point of view.
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

CobraKill

Quote from: Cavemaniac on October 01, 2011, 01:08:57 AM

Some of the custom tiles are fantastic, and most important of all (from my point of view), make sense. I'm thinking specifically of MadMag's Tower attack map and the blueprint  tiles (don't know who was responsible for them). The tiles are used in a logical manner and are different enough from the original so as not to cause confusion.

Virgil made those tiles.
Never trust a computer that doesn't fit through your nearest window.

LanceChristophr

Oh I can definitely appreciate that tiles/backgrounds are just par for the course of creating a difficult and challenging map that would otherwise be simple with defaults... but I find that more times than not some custom tiles seem pointless. Take this map for example (sorry it had to become a martyr for the topic)

http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld2/viewmaps.php?mapid=231

Could be a totally great and fun map but it was almost painful to play having to adjust to the new tiles.

I don't think this feature would be horrible. I personally play CW/CW2 as a pass-time. I like a challenge now and then but I'm no hardcore gamer by far.

Such a feature to turn off custom tiles/bg could easily be untouched if you want the challenge. Also, if it comes down to people scoring better because they simply were able to turn it off make it an option before loading a map, and if the custom tiles are turned off then you just can't post a score. I think that just about makes it simple.

PS- I know I can just bring maps into the map editor and fix that but it's such a painstaking task when I feel I shouldn't need to. I would sooner just not play a map!
[◕_◕]
/[ ]\
UU

http://www.lancefama.com/

UpperKEES

I think the best you can do is tell the author in the comments that you did like his map, but didn't like the tiles, so he can consider this for his next map(s) and improve the quality.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview