Custom Map: Quagmire Quest 1: The Golden Maze

Started by AutoPost, November 29, 2010, 02:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaze

Sorry for off-topic but, I nominate this map for the new most comments.

Sqaz

Quote from: UpperKEES on December 01, 2010, 04:50:07 PM
Sqaz, you are a bit offensive. Didn't sleep well? :P I think you are also a bit stubborn. Not because of your opinion, but because you don't seem to realize that some things are a matter of taste. You can state your opinion once and then it's clear to anyone, but I get more and more the impression that you are entirely missing the point. It seems I have to repeat the same things over and over and I don't like that. Why play a map that contains spores, when you know it does and you don't like them? Play it and don't complain, or just skip the map. It's that easy.

Taste can not be forced onto anyone. Some people like puzzles, other don't. Some people like long intense fights, others rather finish in 5 minutes. There is no wrong and there is no right here. Both are good!

It seems like you indeed don't understand the point of my posts clearly.
I only complained about the spores once, that was in the first post after finishing the map, if I can't say what I didn't like about the map what are the comments for then. The next posts I only tried to explain why, cause you might already have noticed that a lot of my maps feature spores, so I don't hate spores nor do I skip maps to complain them, I coumd tell you once again why, but then you'd prabably call me stubborn again  :P.
And then, someone tells we're all opinionated here, which is true, it would be stupid if everyone would agree with the gameplay. But then I hear those assumptions, that I can't say anything about this map, just need to chill down, and even that I act like a twelve year old.

I respect everyones opinion, I never meant to write any comments after the first three, but I can't just sit down and refrain from writing when my words get turned and twisted so it seems like if you'd read only these comments I'm a grumpy old man, searching the forum in a quest to make the most hateful comments on every map that contains spores.

The calling me stubborn is only a self-furfilling profecy (and a good way to get the most comments  :P), I'm not planning to post any more on this topic, so before you provocation towards me please try to, atleast try to please, understand the previous comments so I don't have to come again to set everything straight and so heading into vicious circle.

Kharnellius

It wasn't directed to only you.  

I also have a bit of a problem to say he made a mistake for a design element that was intentionally part of the map.  I will assume you didn't mean to make it sound that harsh for the sake of keeping this thread from going any further OT lol. :P

I guess, it just has rubbed me wrong ever since someone said I made a mistake by including Spore Waves in my map as if somehow my careful creation of 30 different waves was a catastrophic series of "mis-clicks" of me hitting "add spore wave" when I actually meant to hit "save map". :D

A mistake is something that makes a map not work, or winnable, etc., not something someone personally doesn't enjoy.

That'd be like me calling "Barbie Horse Adventures: Wild Horse Rescue" a mistake.  While I clearly wouldn't play the game (or would I?), that doesn't make it a mistake. ;)

Kapoios

Quote from: Kharnellius on December 02, 2010, 01:29:22 AM
That'd be like me calling "Barbie Horse Adventures: Wild Horse Rescue" a mistake.  While I clearly wouldn't play the game (or would I?), that doesn't make it a mistake. ;)
You certainly seem to know a lot about it...

Kharnellius

Quote from: UpperKEES on December 01, 2010, 04:50:07 PM
Yep, that path finding algorithm indeed slows down the game a lot. With a dense network with lots of interconnections like you will probably build for this map this becomes very noticeable. This is not due to the amount of units! When you would build the same amount on a map with less connections between them, you would be able to play much faster. Kapoios tested this and when you would build less collectors (that connect to anything), but instead would build collector - reactor - collector or collector - speed - collector, you would experience a more than double increase of game speed! I think this is the main reason Virgil stepped away from this for CW2.

Ah, good to know.  Must keep this in mind for the future.

Kharnellius

Quote from: Kapoios on December 02, 2010, 01:37:06 AM
You certainly seem to know a lot about it...
Do you know how to beat the "Save the Furry Kitten" level?

UpperKEES

Quote from: Sqaz on December 02, 2010, 01:00:44 AM
it seems like if you'd read only these comments I'm a grumpy old man, searching the forum in a quest to make the most hateful comments on every map that contains spores.

Like Kharnellius I also didn't direct only to you (and not even to comments for this map in particular). I referred to comments on many other maps, even way back. One name that comes to mind is HiredGun; he used to post terrible comments for every map he disliked, but I think he improved on that recently. I also referred to some comments on Kapoios' and Kharnellius' latest maps. You replied rather quickly however (even before I could), so I guess you must have felt addressed at least a little.

I know you are no grumpy old man and you also know I really like your maps, especially the historical & geographical ones you created earlier. The only thing I say is: respect other people's taste. So many people, so many different preferences and that's a good thing.

And by the way: yes, I do like comments on my maps (like anybody else), but I rather discuss possible solutions and used game mechanics.... ;)

Quote from: Kharnellius on December 02, 2010, 01:29:22 AM
A mistake is something that makes a map not work, or winnable, etc., not something someone personally doesn't enjoy.

Yep, you got my point. :)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

DethbyIT

UpperKEES,
I am definitely a "grumpy old man" (Retired Chief Warrant Officer) and I think your maps are outstanding.

There are several (including this one) that I haven't been able to crack yet - but that is entirely based on MY abilities - not yours.

On several occasions I have noticed some whiney-a$$ed complaints about some aspect of a map - and I always wonder if ever it never occurs to some people to just move on down the road and try a different map.

I also notice that the biggest complainers have never had the 'nards' to build their own map.

As I mentioned before, if you and SPIFFEN would slow down just a bit - I might be able to get more real work done.

Thank you for what you do around here.

dbit
:)

UpperKEES

Quote from: DethbyIT on December 17, 2010, 10:13:08 AM
UpperKEES,
I am definitely a "grumpy old man" (Retired Chief Warrant Officer) and I think your maps are outstanding.

There are several (including this one) that I haven't been able to crack yet - but that is entirely based on MY abilities - not yours.

These are the kind of grumpy old men that I like! ;D

On several occasions I have noticed some whiney-a$$ed complaints about some aspect of a map - and I always wonder if ever it never occurs to some people to just move on down the road and try a different map.

I also notice that the biggest complainers have never had the 'nards' to build their own map.

Oh well, at a certain moment you know who it comes from.... ;)

As I mentioned before, if you and SPIFFEN would slow down just a bit - I might be able to get more real work done.

I actually did between August and November, because I was playing a lot of Chronom & tournament maps. Nothings beats creating ans playing custom maps however, so I couldn't resist doing another series. I also think Spiff slowed down a little lately, but real work and CW won't ever go well together.... ;)

Thank you for what you do around here.

dbit
:)

Thank you for all the compliments and of course even more for playing! :)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview