Anti-creeper fairly useless?

Started by Measure, July 28, 2011, 01:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Measure

I think I could finish any level in the game without touching anti creeper. Any point to it?

Measure

What the game really needs is a way to convert bad-creeper emitters into good creeper emitters of equal size. Even if it costs you energy to run, could really make for some interesting maps.

Echo51

You're a overbuilder right? in some offensives you NEED it, along with for titan emitters. Also, you did complete all the bonus missions too?
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

Measure

I might be an overbuilder, but I feel my builds are getting leaner. The only bonus mission I think the creeper is needed on is "Barbarian hordes" and even then it runs out pretty quickly.

In mission 20 I use it because of the conversion bombs, you actually get a decent amount, but other than that, it seems messing with anti-creeper slows me down more than it adds value.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Measure on July 28, 2011, 04:31:30 PM
it seems messing with anti-creeper slows me down more than it adds value.

You're wrong. I have used 1-2 makers on almost every story map which allowed me to finish much faster. Don't forget they don't need energy once built. For more advantages see here (and bear in mind that the vacuming & bursting functionality has been added with the latest patch).
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Kithros

I would say the most important feature of the maker is that it ensures that your blasters fire at more dense creeper, instead of constantly targetting the 100 density creeper that's closest to it (particularly with low/no gravity, fields or uphill battles - though on uphill battles you would need to use a repulsor along with the maker making it significantly less useful). That said, on maps with high densities they aren't particularly useful except to help with nullifying emitters using bursting (which can be quite important on maps with limited build space and titans still)

EDIT: Oh, and if you're talking about the story maps and such - none of those are hard at all if you know what you're doing, I would say the only buildings that would be *required* in  all of the story mode would be reactors, blasters, beacons, nullifiers, tech domes (required for day 20 for increased beacon range, or upgrades to be able to kill the nexus before it spawns as well as the end of day 17 for fire rate etc. upgrades - I don't think that would be possible to do without tech domes), and dark beams for day 20. I'm fairly certain this would work for the bonus missions as well. That would exclude launchers, makers, phantom coils, repulsors, microrifts, shields, conversion bombs, and dark mirrors - and I hope we can agree that these are not all useless units..

Ebon Heart

Quote from: Kithros on July 28, 2011, 05:53:53 PM
I would say the most important feature of the maker is that it ensures that your blasters fire at more dense creeper, instead of constantly targetting the 100 density creeper that's closest to it (particularly with low/no gravity, fields or uphill battles - though on uphill battles you would need to use a repulsor along with the maker making it significantly less useful). That said, on maps with high densities they aren't particularly useful except to help with nullifying emitters using bursting (which can be quite important on maps with limited build space and titans still)

EDIT: Oh, and if you're talking about the story maps and such - none of those are hard at all if you know what you're doing, I would say the only buildings that would be *required* in  all of the story mode would be reactors, blasters, beacons, nullifiers, tech domes (required for day 20 for increased beacon range, or upgrades to be able to kill the nexus before it spawns as well as the end of day 17 for fire rate etc. upgrades - I don't think that would be possible to do without tech domes), and dark beams for day 20. I'm fairly certain this would work for the bonus missions as well. That would exclude launchers, makers, phantom coils, repulsors, microrifts, shields, conversion bombs, and dark mirrors - and I hope we can agree that these are not all useless units..
I'd like to see you beat day 20 without any dark mirrors or C bombs... And days 19 and bonus day 9 without launchers, shields, M rifts, phantom coils, makers, or repulsors. For that matter, day 14 without phantom coils, and day 9 without M rifts would be a pain!
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

Kithros

Oh I'm sure they would be a pain - but I have little doubt it would be  possible still.

Ebon Heart

Quote from: Kithros on July 28, 2011, 06:26:40 PM
Oh I'm sure they would be a pain - but I have little doubt it would be  possible still.
I wanna see a video of bonus 9 with these restrictions, and I'll believe you. :P (knows kithros can do it, but wants to see) lol.

Mare

Quote from: Ebon Heart on July 28, 2011, 06:37:37 PM
I wanna see a video of bonus 9 with these restrictions, and I'll believe you. :P (knows kithros can do it, but wants to see) lol.
I will do bonus day 9 for you. I will post the video as soon as I can.
Lying is an Art Form, to succeed, some truth most be woven into the fabric of deception -Anonymous
If you want something done then do it yourself, if you can't,then ask someone to do it for you, making sure to compensate later. If you cannot do that, then you're better off doing nothing at all -Me

Ebon Heart

Quote from: Mare on July 28, 2011, 07:00:13 PM
Without any launchers, shields, micro rifts, phantom coils, repulsors, Makers, launchers or shields lol, I can't stress that enough for bonus day 9...

Kithros

It's not really very hard - it's a lot less exciting than you might think. The choke points make it very easy to hold the creeper off - it's more a test of patience than anything. With full upgrades and spending all your energy on blasters it takes about 8 minutes or so (longer than it takes for me  to finish the entire map playing normally) just to kill the 9G creeper.

Mare

Quote from: Ebon Heart on July 28, 2011, 07:11:20 PM
Without any launchers, shields, micro rifts, phantom coils, repulsors, Makers, launchers or shields lol, I can't stress that enough for bonus day 9...
Ebon, You underestimate me. LOOK!!!

Its not as fast as Kithros (My computer is really weak at processing), but I did it. Kithros was telling the truth, its all a matter of patience, not skill.
It took me an hour of gameplay, recording, and speeding up.
All I need now is a "thank you."
Lying is an Art Form, to succeed, some truth most be woven into the fabric of deception -Anonymous
If you want something done then do it yourself, if you can't,then ask someone to do it for you, making sure to compensate later. If you cannot do that, then you're better off doing nothing at all -Me

Ebon Heart

Quote from: Mare on July 28, 2011, 11:56:53 PM
Quote from: Ebon Heart on July 28, 2011, 07:11:20 PM
Ebon, You underestimate me. LOOK!!!

Its not as fast as Kithros (My computer is really weak at processing), but I did it. Kithros was telling the truth, its all a matter of patience, not skill.
It took me an hour of gameplay, recording, and speeding up.
All I need now is a "thank you."
Not bad, not bad at all... I may have to try that. :P also, wait till custom maps come out, there will be bigger challenges. I'm tempted to see if you can best a quick save of cubic with twice as much creeeper in that square. :P lol. (i wouldn't really.) I'll try to make a video... If I can figure it out. Any tips for video editing? I suck at it.

Mare

I use windows movie maker. There are instructions to it when you install it to your computer. Some PC already have it installed.
Just open it up, go to file, then choose import into collections. Then you choose from your own computer's memory of which video you wish to edit.
WMM lets you edit it once you import it. Speed up, slow down, and a bunch of other options.

Edit: BTW You're mean, making a custom map of cubic with two times more creeper!!!