Classic Earth blasters don't control creeper generation?

Started by MegaMari1976, May 13, 2010, 05:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MegaMari1976

So I'm playing Classic Earth, my first Special Ops map.  And I put some blasters up next to the creeper generators, which always in the past has "capped" the generator so no creeper gets out.  Except for, now, despite being surrounded by three blasters, the creeper generator is still vomiting on me - I can't contain it!  Is it supposed to do this, or is this a bug?

UpperKEES

It depends on the strength (intensity & interval) of an emitter (= creeper generator) how many blasters are needed to cap it. As far as I remember 3 blasters should be more than enough for the emitters used in Classic Earth.

Blasters always fire at the closest creeper. This means that if a pool of creeper is closer to your blaster than the emitter, the blaster won't fire at the emitter (thus not capping it). Could this be the issue in your case? Which emitter are you referring to? The one in South America? (That's the one you probably start with if I remember correctly.)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

MegaMari1976

Yeah I think I figured this out, thanks for your help.  I am targeting the emitter in South America.  It looks like you have to put the blaster directly south of the emitter otherwise the "gravitational pull" of the ocean of creeper distracts the blasters even though the ocean is further away than the emitter.  Maybe the blaster has to be idle & full of ammo at the instant that the creeper is generated, and if there is a pool of creeper nearby the blaster will at some point become busy/discharged and allow the creeper to erupt?  Anyway it's an issue I hadn't encountered so far, up to now when trying to cap an emitter I don't think I've been near such a deep pool of creeper so even if there is some creeper around a couple blasters are usually more than enough to control things.

UpperKEES

Blasters can indeed be distracted from capping if the creeper gets closer to the blaster somewhere else, but something like 'gravitational pull' doesn't exist. Blasters also don't need to be idle or fully charged. Blasters can't fire every fraction of a second however, so if a blaster just fired at other creeper, there might be a slight delay before it fires at the emitter.

Maybe it's nice to know you can put a blaster right on top of an emitter. You can do this with other structures as well, but in that case you have to be really sure the emitter is being capped all the time, so you better build collectors and relays a few blocks away from them.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview