Creeper world 3D

Started by rex4, July 18, 2011, 06:03:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

Quote from: Grun on August 09, 2011, 10:25:13 AM
what you guys think?

Nice! Looks promising....

Looking forward to see more later on, but please enjoy your wedding first!
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Jay the Juggernaut

Wow...Amazing. This would be fun to try, if it actually was a game, instead of an awesome simulation!  :D
PS: Enjoy wedding!
I'll mostly be lurking as a guest, not much into posting anymore. :P

Grun

ty guys for support for wedding, looking forward to it :)

Ebon as for speeling error :P will change, although....... yeah should change it

As for how long its taken, it hard to say. Actualy sat in front of a comp, the current creeper flow code took about 2-3 hrs programming, but it is the th or 5th time i written to get it to what it is. The camera/terrain/model loader I already had written from a prev project but needed a little bit of cleaning up, it was very very old code i wrote and was full of bugs/memory leaks. The largest amount of time spent on it is thinking about how to go about it, normaly when im driving to work, it funny sometimes on way to work I suddenly think ahhh this could work, I get to work and write it all down to try when I get home.

Anyone whoever programs will know what its like, you come across a prob or somthing not working you can spend days thinking about it and suddenly an idea pops in your head and it sorted. I never seem to work out the probs, well logic probs, while sat at my comp.

Grun

ohhh also, as for getting a blaster in, I got a lot of time befor wedding, me and misses are very organised and got everything in place, so hopefully can get something done and recorded.

Ebon Heart

I'm no expert here, obviously, but shouldn't you, you know, be spending time with your wife-to-be or something? lol. Or maybe planning a bachelor party? :P
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

Grun

stag doo :) or bacholor party was other weekend, if you look back was planning to get todays update out then, but beer got in the way :P as for misses, we been together 6 years and she busy getting spray tan/nails done/other girly stuffs :P so I got a little time :)

I have already got a model almost done, so only about 4-5 hrs worth to get it working, and about 20 min for creating vid/uploading (my vid skills are very very basic as you guys already know :P )

Grun

Lord_Farin

Very neat work Grun... I wish I could force myself to be consistently working on the same project for longer; the results are that much better.

In the unlikely event that you have time to spare, and in the case you like a mix of programming and mathematics, be sure to check out http://projecteuler.net. It provides exactly that.

Lastly, congrats on your wedding. Good to see that at least some of us have a life  :)
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

Ebon Heart

I used to have a life, but I sold it to buy creeper world. (epic quote from mthw2vc)

Ranakastrasz

Quote from: Grun on August 09, 2011, 10:25:13 AM
ok just the screenshot of the heightmap is pretty dull I know, so.......

what you guys think?

Few points as noted on video description...

Terrain texture needs replacing, easy job to sort just being lazy and current texture is clear to see what creeper doing.
The emmiter is causing weird spike whenever it adds more creeper
Some clipping on terrain when creeper making its way over the edge of cliff.

Well after them small bugs I guess the blaster has to be next :)

Grun
(ripped from my youtube comment on it)
The weird spike is in the game BTW Basically, If you were to open CW1, and hover your cursor over the Emitter, you would see the spike each time it pulsed, so If I did not see that spike, I would know you made a mistake somehow. I do however agree that it doesn't look that good, but I don't know how to *fix* it, unless you were to render the height there differently from how you do elsewhere. (possible use the average height++ of nearby cells?

Quote from: Lord_Farin on August 09, 2011, 06:36:34 PM
In the unlikely event that you have time to spare, and in the case you like a mix of programming and mathematics, be sure to check out http://projecteuler.net. It provides exactly that.
I used to work on that, But I only got to I think problem 50 before I got stuck. Maybe my skills have increased to the point I can continue. who knows...

You know Grun, You could probably make a new thread to discuss this specifically... Although the rest of the thread seem like it would be dead otherwise, So I am not sure...

Grun

Lord checked out the site you given, it is a very very good site for anyone who wants to get into programming, i have covered a lot of such already but always good to look at chalanges i may have missed/got rusty on, as for setting up a seperate thread, yes I could but think this thread is still relevent, think if i ever got carried away enough to implement a UI etc I would :)

Rank in relation to the spike/emmiter, i agree, it good to see that the emmiter haveing an effect, i think the options would be slow the pulse speed but that would mean increasing the spike height, or to add a model/animation to the emiiter which I think would be best way, similar to the way first vid it was a constant stream from the emmiter, although looking back at first vid, dam that looked rearly bad :P

Grun

crazyone76

Quote from: Ebon Heart on August 09, 2011, 10:58:08 AM
I'm sure the videogame world can wait a while.
since when do gamers have patience?
go Dutch
go Netherlands
Holland ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ebon Heart

Quote from: crazyone76 on August 10, 2011, 09:07:46 AM
Quote from: Ebon Heart on August 09, 2011, 10:58:08 AM
I'm sure the videogame world can wait a while.
since when do gamers have patience?
Maybe we don't... bug computers do. :P How else do you explain loading bars?

Grauniad

Off-topic alert.  Get this back on track or it gets locked.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Ebon Heart

Alright, back on topic... If the simulation were allowed to continue indefinately, would the creeper ever be able to rise above that spike? I presume I works like cw1 did, right?

thepenguin

Quote from: Grauniad on August 10, 2011, 01:07:00 PM
Off-topic alert.  Get this back on track or it gets locked.

Quote from: Grun on August 09, 2011, 09:11:07 PM
as for setting up a seperate thread, yes I could but think this thread is still relevent, think if i ever got carried away enough to implement a UI etc I would :)

maybe split the thread ?

Quote from: Ebon Heart on August 10, 2011, 01:25:54 PM
Alright, back on topic... If the simulation were allowed to continue indefinately, would the creeper ever be able to rise above that spike? I presume I works like cw1 did, right?
I'm assuming that intensity = height of emitter
We have become the creeper...

Ebon Heart

I think think the intensity is more related to the height of the spike... It seems like all the emitters with his simulations are automatically the same height.