Terminology

Started by Karsten75, November 14, 2010, 09:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

Thinking about maps, I came up with the following terms to describe mas - but there are a few that I need help with.

Pwned maps:  Maps where we outsmart the map author and escape in seconds, rather than suffer a long fight.

Fools mate: (Virgil coined this one)  Maps where you can escape by building a few collectors or other objects and escape without firing a shot.

Bridging maps: Where it is required that you keep a unit in the air to complete.

I need a term for maps where you can build fast and escape before the first spore waves come in. I propose  "hit-and-run maps?"

Any other terms we use regularly?

L'ythelle

When I fly units outside of the network to fight unpowered to clear an area so I can expand I think of it as my "Flying Armada" but others refer to it as "Paratroopers."

UpperKEES

Yeah, paratroopers is the common term used for flying in battery powered (disconnected) blasters.

Bombing run (by Virgil): flying a mortar into enemy territory to let it fire a couple of shells before flying it back to your network (like a smart but expensive drone).

Bridging (not sure who used it first, hi or Siccles?): maintaining a connection between objects or units (like totems, relays or collectors) by flying military units and/or OC between them, because it is faster than or even impossible with ground units due to terrain limitations.

Crazonium bridging (by Roccologic?): the use of bridging with a military unit over a crazonium wall. (The connection is maintained when the center of the unit stays above the wall elements.)

Overdriving (by Virgil): exploiting the packet filter bug to keep sending ammo packets to military units without them requesting for it, thus preventing the need for speed nodes.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Karsten75

I was mostly looking for map types, so "bombing run," for instance, doesn't fit in that classification. However, this may make a nice glossary of terms we use, so keep on adding terms. 

"Island Map" - mostly isolated islands with a sea of creeper.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Karsten75 on November 14, 2010, 09:31:28 AM
Thinking about maps, I came up with the following terms to describe mas

Ah, I was already wondering why you were using the Spanish word for 'more'. ;D

Does the type of the map have to refer to the style of play, or also to the content? I.e. an island map can be considered a bridging map, a geographical map, a pwned map and a fools mate at the same time.

For some reason 'brute force' map comes to mind.... ;) Besides that I can think of puzzle maps (thinking about how to solve it is more important than the execution of that plan), boring maps (lots of walls or other cheap tricks). I know someone who hates mazes, especially when made of crazonium, so that could be one as well. Technical maps would be maps that require the player to consider very well what kind of units to build, in what order, where to place them and to time everything right to prevent failure.

I think you'll have a hard time making categories, unless you allow a map to be part of several categories at the same time.

I feel a new poll coming up....
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

mthw2vc

Cinematic - A very linear map designed to be played more for its story than anything else.
Examples: "Hope," "Story Intro," "And So it Begins"

There are probably still other types, but I can't think of them right now.