Cannot energize blaster fast enough

Started by Timwi, September 01, 2010, 03:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timwi

Hi. I'm playing the map "The War, Part 3: Besieged" right now. Here is my current situation:

As you can see, I have way enough excess energy. However, the blasters near the bottom left are not getting energized fast enough. They use up their energy quicker than it is replenished. I have let it run for quite a while before taking this screenshot, and I've had plenty of energy during all that time.

This never used to happen before, so I blame the new version. :) Anyone else seen this? Should I report this as a bug?

Edit: Of course I was wrong and it would have happened with the old version too. I guess I just never ran into a map with no speed units and the need to charge blasters so far away from Odin City.

Sqaz

That's no bug, it's just a lack of speed nodes, as you can see the farther the blasters are away from the city the less they get energized.

Karsten75

One of the reasons I'm so dissatisfied with that particular map.

If you hit pause, you may be able to observe that all the packets for those blasters are actually in transit, but because of the extreme reach and the lack of speed nodes, they take very long to get there. That makes it really, really hard to take over that part of the map.

I will admit that I have the sense that this map is lagging, but I can't quite lay my finger on it, since it is not apparent that it should, since there are no stacked units or anything.

I will ask you a question though. Why did yo ubuild all your reactors so far away from OC? It also takes the build packets a long time to travel through the network. Typically I'd expect to see all the reactors clustered around OC.

Echo51

Optimize your network with some relays, that will cut some of the time
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

Timwi

I get it now. Each blaster needs only 10 energy packets to be fully charged, so Odin City will send only that many, and they are all in transit all the time. That would indeed indirectly reduce the rate at which they are sent. Thanks for explaining, Karsten75.

Karsten75

You're welcome. Now can you explain why you put all the reactors so far from OC?

Timwi

Karsten75: No, I can't. I just didn't think about it. Sorry if the explanation is unsatisfying. :) Of course now that you mentioned it, I would build them closer.

Karsten75

No problem, I just thought there was something of benefit to put them there.

Timwi

Well, I ended up finishing the map and beating the current record... I really don't think the placement of the reactors made the big difference.

Michionlion

Just to say somthing: there will be speed in part 4.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

UpperKEES

Quote from: Timwi on September 01, 2010, 05:19:51 PM
I really don't think the placement of the reactors made the big difference.

It does. Not by minutes of course, but certainly by a few dozens of seconds.

I'm not sure if OC can be moved on this map (haven't played it yet), but that would also help (especially when playing without speed nodes). To the left of the disarmed mortar would be the best spot.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Michionlion

the best stratagy for besieged is to buil up enough protection then go up one side.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!