Custom Map: Nice Job 25: The Developer

Started by AutoPost, July 11, 2010, 05:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

Quote from: mszegedy on November 29, 2010, 01:36:01 AM
Huh. So it's all personal challenge?

Yes, it is.

Quote from: mszegedy on November 29, 2010, 01:36:01 AM
Anyway, I'll go check reeeal quick to see if it's on double down... is there a keyboard shortcut that enables this? I might have accidentally pressed it...

EDIT: Nuh-ope. There's no "off" button either, which makes me wonder. And yes, I'm running the latest version (proof: I can't move the base before the timer officially begins).

It becomes available after finishing the final Special OPS. When you haven't done so yet, this won't be causing your problems.

Looking forward to your screeny and/or video. :)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

mszegedy

Okay, I'm exporting the video right now. I got a lot further than I thought I would- in fact, probably further than ever before. But I still didn't make it to phase 2, and I realized that, given the ultra-slow recharge rate on moveable units, my solution for phase 6 wasn't going to work. Look forward to said video.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to apply the trick of simultaneously moving and building veeeery early on. But it didn't kill me, so yay.

EDIT 2:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ob9DAfnCrcU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ob9DAfnCrcU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

EDIT 3: Uh.

TommyCogs

Very Nice Map.. I finally finished the whole nice job series... awesome maps keep up the good work people like you keep this game interesting

UpperKEES

Quote from: mszegedy on November 29, 2010, 05:33:54 PM
Okay, I'm exporting the video right now. I got a lot further than I thought I would- in fact, probably further than ever before. But I still didn't make it to phase 2, and I realized that, given the ultra-slow recharge rate on moveable units, my solution for phase 6 wasn't going to work. Look forward to said video.

You can't embed video's here, so just providing the link is fine.

I just watched it and you can improve quite a lot:
Spoiler
- You should try to generate much more energy before building more blasters. With this little space you need reactors!
[close]
Spoiler
- You should only build 2 collectors simultaneously when you have enough energy to do so. I noticed a deficit when you did.
[close]
Spoiler
- You can disable weapons like the drone. This way you can charge them later on when you really need them and use that energy for something else first.
[close]
Spoiler
- When you would move the blaster in the center just one block upwards, it won't be firing into the pool of creeper on the left, which also saves you energy.
[close]
Spoiler
- When you move a blaster and want to build a collector in its place, you can do this immediately after selecting the destination of the blaster; no need to wait until the blaster moves out of the way!
[close]

So mszegedy, I'm afraid you will be having quite some trouble beating the map with this style of play! Nothing wrong with that of course; it's the best way to learn. But if you keep having trouble I would recommend you to play some others first. In particular I would experiment with first generating a lot of energy and fight later versus starting the fight immediately and try to generate some energy on the way. You'll find that you finish much faster when you have a little patience in the beginning! :)

Anyway, enjoy and good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Quote from: TommyCogs on November 29, 2010, 06:56:27 PM
Very Nice Map.. I finally finished the whole nice job series... awesome maps keep up the good work people like you keep this game interesting

Thanks Tommy! :)

I indeed noticed many of your scores coming in over the past days. You've been busy! Great that you finished all of them! 8)

Well, you're just in time for my new Quagmire Quest series, unless you like to finish the Hard Art series first of course....

mszegedy

Well, I never expected to get past the first part, and thus I threw together the rest in a rough, slipshod hurry (usually I would have played it differently; first, after using the drone for the first time, build a reactor, then a blaster, and then another blaster, and then another reactor, then a collector towards the top left, and then another blaster; I'd use the first one to cap off the bottom left, the second one to thin phase 6, and the third to clear and then cap the top left. Square one completed!). I'm not sure why I didn't recall this, but I just kind of wanted to make a really quick video; I had homework to do (turns out I didn't have to worry about it, since I've caught the 24-hour bug or something).

UpperKEES

Spoiler
Better to fill up all available space with reactors and a few collectors, then create 1-2 more blasters, clear the rest of the section and add even more reactors.
[close]

Don't worry about that bug.... you're not the only one. ;)

Edit: correction.

mszegedy

For a second there I thought you meant a programming error, heh. I dunno, it might as well be food poisoning (something in the turkey? I am Hungarian, and I spend my summers in Hungary, but I "live" in America, where, as most people know, we celebrate Thanksgiving by consuming 1/3 of the world's turkey population).

Wait, relays? There are no relays. Or do you mean collectors?

UpperKEES

Quote from: mszegedy on November 29, 2010, 11:12:13 PM
For a second there I thought you meant a programming error, heh. I dunno, it might as well be food poisoning (something in the turkey? I am Hungarian, and I spend my summers in Hungary, but I "live" in America, where, as most people know, we celebrate Thanksgiving by consuming 1/3 of the world's turkey population).

Ah, that explains your online times. But I bet it's not the turkey.... it's CW! ;)

Quote from: mszegedy on November 29, 2010, 11:12:13 PM
Wait, relays? There are no relays. Or do you mean collectors?

Sorry, collectors indeed. Corrected that, thanks.

mszegedy

Okay, I can make it up to 7:50 now... but then phase 6 erupted and completely demolished everything. The good news is that I was closer than ever to finishing phase 1. In fact, I practically did.

UpperKEES

Quote from: mszegedy on November 30, 2010, 12:09:03 PM
Okay, I can make it up to 7:50 now... but then phase 6 erupted and completely demolished everything.

Spoiler
To solve this you may want to think for a while about the last sentence in the first artifact.... ;)
[close]

mszegedy

Remove... hmm...

EDIT: What if I remove any blasters dealing with the bottom left corner, and let the creeper seething from there destroy that one decaying wall that's impeding me from placing a blaster next to that part?

UpperKEES

You won't be able to connect to anything placed on top of the arrow between sections 6 and 1; this is by design. You'll have to think of something else....

Please don't forget this is an expert only map!

The good thing for you to know is that the first phase is the hardest one by far! :)

mszegedy

Right. I do want to beat it, though, as it seems like the best map.

UpperKEES

Quote from: mszegedy on November 30, 2010, 02:00:41 PM
Right. I do want to beat it, though, as it seems like the best map.

Thanks, I do like it myself as well. :)

In my opinion it isn't the best map however; I can mention quite a few (by others) that I like better.

DethbyIT

I think every time I manage to beat one of these UK specials it is the 'best' map - they are all good, that's for sure.
Apparently I never finished this one when I was trying a few weeks/months ago.

Great map - as always and thank you for putting it together.
dbit