Custom Map: Nice Job 25: The Developer

Started by AutoPost, July 11, 2010, 05:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

It sure can. Just let me know when the creeper from phase 6 keeps killing you!
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

UpperKEES

Quote from: DethbyIT on September 11, 2010, 07:04:53 AM
Started clearing the second, when the wall collapses from 6 to 1, and it's game over.

Tried using the drone on both 5 and 6, but then the pods die.

Pondering this one.

Quote from: UpperKEES on September 11, 2010, 06:16:46 PM
I think you can find the solution to this when you read back previous comments.

Hmmm, I just read back all comments and I guess the solution to this problem is not described explicitly here, so I figure I mentioned something in chat one day.

Spoiler
There is a hint for this in the first artifact however....
[close]

kropernic

I finally dit it !

Unfortunately, I can't post my score (5733) because I didn't play on a computer with internet.  Maybe I will post it later.

The start was very hard to figure out but once you know how to do it, it's pretty easy.
The most annoying thing was to juggle with to blaster for preventing the creeping to go from 6 to 1.

Beside that, great map like always !

UpperKEES

Quote from: kropernic on November 02, 2010, 07:27:34 AM
I finally dit it !

:)

Unfortunately, I can't post my score (5733) because I didn't play on a computer with internet.  Maybe I will post it later.

You can indeed resubmit your score when this failed (due to an error or not having an internet connection). Just hit the resubmit button for that map in the custom map screen (highlight the map first by hovering your mouse pointer over it).

The start was very hard to figure out but once you know how to do it, it's pretty easy.
The most annoying thing was to juggle with to blaster for preventing the creeping to go from 6 to 1.

You don't have to juggle or bridge (on any of my maps).

Spoiler
The hint how to solve this is in the first artifact.
[close]

Beside that, great map like always !

Thanks kropernic!

kropernic

Quote from: UpperKEES on November 03, 2010, 04:16:11 AM

You don't have to juggle or bridge (on any of my maps). The hint how to solve this is in the first artifact.

The fact is that the creeper don't destroy all the green wall between the phase 6-1.  So I can't link the blaster that I put on the passage with my network.  I have to switch two of them constantly.  Otherwise, the creeper invade the first part of the map and flooded me ^^

UpperKEES

Quote from: kropernic on November 03, 2010, 05:20:12 AM
The fact is that the creeper don't destroy all the green wall between the phase 6-1.  So I can't link the blaster that I put on the passage with my network.  I have to switch two of them constantly.  Otherwise, the creeper invade the first part of the map and flooded me ^^

Even when all green walls would be gone, you wouldn't be able to put a connected blaster on the arrow between sections 1 and 6, due to terrain limitations. This is on purpose, because I want the player to move through the phases like 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 5 -> 6, just as a real developer would do. :)

Spoiler
The solution is to put your blaster(s) somewhere else.... ;)
[close]

kropernic

Lol.  I had try again before reading your post and I sea by myself the shape of the edge.  Damn ^^.

But I'm not flooded anymore but still, I don't like that solution.  Allowing the creeper to come visit me (even shortly) is frustrating to me.  I like to be "the master" ^^.

Btw, I upgraded my score from 5733 to 6238.  I think I did it slowly because I was waiting for the green wall to disappear ^^

UpperKEES

Quote from: kropernic on November 03, 2010, 06:32:02 AM
Lol.  I had try again before reading your post and I sea by myself the shape of the edge.  Damn ^^.

;D

But I'm not flooded anymore but still, I don't like that solution.  Allowing the creeper to come visit me (even shortly) is frustrating to me.  I like to be "the master" ^^.

It's just like real life: every now and then you will experience a tiny problem (complaining users!), but with a good approach/design you'll be able to solve it quickly. ;) If you place your blasters well, no harm will be done to any unit.

Btw, I upgraded my score from 5733 to 6238.  I think I did it slowly because I was waiting for the green wall to disappear ^^

Oh, that's a fine score, about average for this map I think.

I still don't see it in the high score list though.... Don't tell me you visit the forums without an internet connection! :P

kropernic

I play during pauses at work but I think I'm not supposed too.

So I avoid to post score from that computer (i'm posting here from another one). ^^

UpperKEES

Ah, I get it. If you like you can copy your GameData.dat file from one computer to another (from home to work and vice versa), so you have all your scores in one file. See here for information about the location of this file. This way you can also submit a score set at work from your home computer. Before you overwrite an existing version of your GameData.dat file, make sure you make a copy first, because you probably don't want to lose scores. :)

kropernic

I know I know ^^

Actually, I'm a developer ^^.  So I'm not so bad with that kind of manipulation ;-)

... I got to work, I have to take to much pauses this morning.

I'm still a bit slow but I got a good score now (6973).

UpperKEES

Ah, didn't know that of course....

Well, in that case I understand you wanted to set a good score for this map!  8)

kropernic

7026 !

I'm getting  close ^^

But how the hell did you make 14 min... At 15 min, I am only at phase 3 ^^

UpperKEES

Spoiler
Like for any map I first try to use all available space to generate as much energy as I think I will need (without running into a deficit). I only engage the creeper when I have reached that amount, when I have to defend myself or when I'm out of space. When I still have space available after generating the required amount of energy, I try to build all weapons and other units (storage, speed) I need before starting the fight.
[close]

I hope that helps. :)

kropernic

That does not really help because I do that too.  But probably not the good way ^^.

But still, I upgraded my score to 7183.  Going up :-)