Custom Map: Nice Job 25: The Developer

Started by AutoPost, July 11, 2010, 05:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

Spoiler
Well, you do need them soon. I think I create my second blaster after my third collector.
[close]
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

SPIFFEN

He he , i might mess up my pause and timing and moving ,
so i give this map an rest for some time now , it's starting to makeing me "evil" (mad) =P
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

UpperKEES

Yeah, when it's getting to frustrate you it's better to take a break. I tend to forget or rush things when a map is giving me (too much) trouble.

But don't forget you were playing one of the hardest maps out of the series....

pasqualz

I understand that this is a hard map, but no matter what i try, I cannot get to the Drone! I've tried building a blaster firstm then a connector at the bottom of the question mark, then swapping the two and attempting to build another connector to bridge to the left-most pod, unfortunately, the blaster cannot keep the creeper under control, I've tried building a connector first, then a blaster at the bottom of the question mark, then building a second blaster, then using those two to clear creeper so i can bridge a connector to the left-most pod also. Thsi works better, but ultimately, I have no way to stop the creeper that comes down from above Odin city. I'd like someone to give me their steps for getting out of phase 1 and I'll trty them, because I see no way that 1 blaster can get you through thsi phase, unless I just cannot time it to within the one-thousandth of a second that it requires. In that case, I'm not sure it's a worthwhile map for me because i'm not having fun yet. Please help!
Thanks
Pasqualz

UpperKEES

Quote from: pasqualz on July 16, 2010, 02:19:43 PM
I understand that this is a hard map, but no matter what i try, I cannot get to the Drone! I've tried building a blaster firstm then a connector at the bottom of the question mark, then swapping the two and attempting to build another connector to bridge to the left-most pod, unfortunately, the blaster cannot keep the creeper under control

Spoiler
The blaster can keep the creeper under control, but it depends where you put it. ;)
[close]

I've tried building a connector first, then a blaster at the bottom of the question mark, then building a second blaster, then using those two to clear creeper so i can bridge a connector to the left-most pod also. Thsi works better, but ultimately, I have no way to stop the creeper that comes down from above Odin city.

Spoiler
Yes, this will indeed work better (meaning easier). But why go to the left when the drone is on the right?
[close]

I'd like someone to give me their steps for getting out of phase 1 and I'll trty them, because I see no way that 1 blaster can get you through thsi phase

Spoiler
One blaster will certainly not get you out of this phase and if you like to finish the map you'll need to cap (almost) every emitter, so even two of them won't help you.
[close]

unless I just cannot time it to within the one-thousandth of a second that it requires. In that case, I'm not sure it's a worthwhile map for me because i'm not having fun yet. Please help!

Nope, I don't like these kind of maps either (and now I'm laughing for a reason that only a few people know about ;D).

You should be having fun, so I hope my slight hints will help you out. Let me know if you still don't succeed, then I'll be more clear.

I noticed you recently played quite some of my maps; thanks for playing and I hope you'll be able to finish this one as well! :)

pasqualz

I think your biggest clue to me is the "why go left, when you can go right?" statement. But I see no way to place any connections to the right or even above Odin city. Please don't tell me that the only way is to hover a blaster over the Crazonium walls. I hate doing that! I understand that you don't want to give away secrets to everyone on thsi discussion, but I sure would appreciate some more direct hints, erhaps if you could PM me with your first few steps??? I've retried thsi board about 50 times and ma having no luck!!! Thanks!

UpperKEES

Quote from: pasqualz on July 16, 2010, 02:47:51 PM
I think your biggest clue to me is the "why go left, when you can go right?" statement.

Spoiler
You could be (go) right! ;)
[close]

But I see no way to place any connections to the right or even above Odin city.

Spoiler
Collectors connect to anything. So also to blasters.... (This is a VERY direct hint! Spiff, are you reading this as well? ;))
[close]

Please don't tell me that the only way is to hover a blaster over the Crazonium walls. I hate doing that!

So do I. None of my maps require bridging. I even doubled the crazonium walls for that reason; it's impossible now.

I've retried thsi board about 50 times and ma having no luck!!! Thanks!

Believe me when I tell you that you'll be trying some more times, even when you're done with section 1. See these walls eroding between section 6 and 1? ;D

SPIFFEN

QuoteCollectors connect to anything. So also to blasters.... (This is a VERY direct hint! Spiff, are you reading this as well? )
PFF , do you really think that i did'nt tryed that alot of times =P
I'm an bad player , but not that bad ;P
But still to bad to figure out how to get the start right for this map =)
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

UpperKEES

Heheh! Of course I understand that you know these two units connect, but did you apply it in this particular situation? It's the only way to get to the right side quickly.... (and that was what you were asking for as well).

MuadDib

I cant seem to get the first step right.

The only option from the start is to either build a connector then a blaster at the base of the question mark, or the other way round - which would gain some time in fighting back the creeper. However, what can be done next ? Plunging the creeper at the center of the question mark and replace its place by a connector ? It gets destroyed very fast. I tried moving it around while the second connector was built, but the blaster doesnt resist much longer.
I'm not sure the pods should be retrieved in the first phase, but at least one has to, to gain enough space to move forward and reach the drone base.
That's where i am, stuck after one minute of gameplay.

Well I just succeeded in going a bit farther, creating a second blaster right after the first one, putting one on the central emitter and linking it to stabilize the situation. I actually connected to the drone, but i cant do it again, and i read earlier it wasnt the way to go.

UpperKEES

Quote from: MuadDib on July 17, 2010, 03:35:25 PM
I cant seem to get the first step right.

The only option from the start is to either build a connector then a blaster at the base of the question mark, or the other way round - which would gain some time in fighting back the creeper. However, what can be done next ? Plunging the creeper at the center of the question mark and replace its place by a connector ? It gets destroyed very fast.

Spoiler
This is exactly what I do (first a collector and then a blaster). When you let the blaster first clear the area by letting it shoot for a while and then move it into the creeper of the question mark, you'll see that you'll be able to build a collector in it's place just in time, while the blaster succeeds in capping the emitter in the meanwhile and just doesn't die on you. When you can make it, this is the option that requires least energy.
[close]

I tried moving it around while the second connector was built, but the blaster doesnt resist much longer.

Spoiler

Why not 'park' that blaster next to one of the pods if you like to build a second one? With 2 blasters you should be able to cap that center emitter without any problems (so it's the easy option and you'll need that second blaster anyway later on). You may have to let it fire a few shots so your reactors won't get destroyed, but that's it.
[close]

I'm not sure the pods should be retrieved in the first phase, but at least one has to, to gain enough space to move forward and reach the drone base.
That's where i am, stuck after one minute of gameplay.

You can rescue the pods whenever you like; they won't be in real danger for quite a while (Odin City is probably destroyed long before), especially when you capped the emitters. The pods resemble the users/customers/players of the game you're creating, so you question them during the analysis phase. Besides that they occupy some space you'll need as you have noticed.... ;)

Well I just succeeded in going a bit farther, creating a second blaster right after the first one, putting one on the central emitter and linking it to stabilize the situation. I actually connected to the drone, but i cant do it again, and i read earlier it wasnt the way to go.

Why wouldn't this be the way to go? There are more solutions to the same problem. One will be more efficient than the other, but if you just like to finish the map instead of setting the highscore this option works just as fine as any other. :)

Let me know if you can make it now!

MuadDib

I can make it to phase 2 now.
I leave 2 blasters in zone 1 to keep things under control.

I'm using the drone for a first move to zone 2, while building a third blaster and moving him on the lower route (seems like the only possible one), and building two more connecters plus a 4th blaster and connecting to the 3rd totem.
Now the problem i have is to relieve the pressure in zone 5 to keep the pods alive.

I'll try again tomorrow. Its a pretty tight timing !

UpperKEES

Quote from: MuadDib on July 17, 2010, 06:16:15 PM
I can make it to phase 2 now.
I leave 2 blasters in zone 1 to keep things under control.

Why not cap the emitters? You'll need the space....

I'm using the drone for a first move to zone 2, while building a third blaster and moving him on the lower route (seems like the only possible one), and building two more connecters plus a 4th blaster and connecting to the 3rd totem.
Now the problem i have is to relieve the pressure in zone 5 to keep the pods alive.

The drone is there for only 1 reason: keep the pods alive! Before you advance to the next stage you might want to make sure you have enough energy.

I'll try again tomorrow. Its a pretty tight timing !

Good luck! :) (I won't be online tomorrow, so more tips on Monday....)

MuadDib

Wow ! I just finished the map, a grueling one and a half hour of tension. My laptop started lagging heavily when attacking phase 3. I also made a few important mistakes during phase 6 - was getting tired :) - and needed 3 tries to beat this phase.

This is really a terrific map ! Pretty hard and very different.
Phase 1 is indeed the most difficult. I finally got it when I understood there was no real time pressure overall and that the first sector needed to be held strongly before moving forward. Specializing the drone to protect the pods was an important hint : you have to use blasters only to move forward sector to sector.

Thanks for this map :)

snowmaker (JM)

UpperKEES has given quite a few subtle and direct hints to help those who are struggling... You only have one or maybe two seconds of leeway to save OC, so the timing is very tight.

He said
"Well, you do need [blasters] soon. I think I create my second blaster after my third collector."

It was very satisfying to figure this out without the hints. I also did not hover over any of the walls. Good luck ;D