Custom Map: Nice Job 25: The Developer

Started by AutoPost, July 11, 2010, 05:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mszegedy

Yeah, the blaster is fine, but now the second blaster isn't being built in time at all...

This is one of those maps where bridging just makes it worse.

EDIT: About the math: well, I'm just trying to figure out the time under which a given unit will be built. There's also creeper, but I'll be damned if I can accurately account for that (plus it's pretty much of a goner if it's gotten to that anyway). You don't have to involve speed nodes and such.

UpperKEES

Bridging isn't intended. In fact I've tried to prevent it as much as possible.

Spoiler
So are you telling me that you still lose your reactors when you build: collector - blaster - collector - collector - blaster?

I don't get that, so I tried again myself:

[close]

Two things are important:
Spoiler
1. Pause every time you place a new unit, so you don't lose valuable seconds
[close]
Spoiler
2. Let the blaster first clear the center of the question mark before you move it there; this will prevent a lot of damage.
[close]

Spoiler
Maybe you noticed I even build a fourth collector in parallel with the third as there's enough energy available. It's never too early to start generating more energy!
[close]
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

mszegedy

I actually spend most of my game in pause. I do things with a precision measurable in milliseconds- not a moment do I let go by without me building something, or waiting for some bar to fill. As for the first blaster- I wait it to charge about halfway before sending it in, and I already build the upper collector beforehand. So, that's not the problem.

UpperKEES

Quote from: mszegedy on November 28, 2010, 04:55:54 PM
I actually spend most of my game in pause. I do things with a precision measurable in milliseconds- not a moment do I let go by without me building something, or waiting for some bar to fill.

Okay, good.

Quote from: mszegedy on November 28, 2010, 04:55:54 PM
As for the first blaster- I wait it to charge about halfway before sending it in, and I already build the upper collector beforehand. So, that's not the problem.

Did you read this?

Quote from: UpperKEES on November 28, 2010, 02:04:01 PM
2. Let the blaster first clear the center of the question mark before you move it there; this will prevent a lot of damage.

You should be able to save the reactors now, right?

mszegedy

But then it takes too long to build the second blaster...

UpperKEES

Didn't you see the screenshot I posted? You have (almost) all the time of the world!

mszegedy

UpperKEES

So what's the problem? When you build everything like I suggested and with the precision you mention you should be okay. Please tell me when it goes wrong, or even better: post a screenshot. You can create one automatically by pressing backspace; it will be saved in your "documents\creeperworld_screens" folder. When posting just click additional options and add your screenshot as attachment. :)

mszegedy

I didn't know that...

I'm posting a video. But, yeah, that's exactly what I did (but I left off the collector on the far left). But somehow, that creeper manages to creep to my reactors...

What's "double down" mode? (I haven't touched it I swear)

UpperKEES

In Double Down all emitters emit with twice the speed they normally would, thus making your map harder. Don't tell me it says: "Double Down [ON!!!]" :P

mszegedy

I don't even know where to change it...

UpperKEES

When you enter the Custom Map screen, you'll see the button on the top right, just below the Exit button.

mszegedy

Jus curious- would this map then be beatable if it really was on DD? And how would this affect my score?

UpperKEES

Why don't you just check first if it's turned on or not? I've spent quite some time trying to help you, but you haven't advanced one single second. You can also use chat to ask simple questions if you like.

Quote from: mszegedy on November 29, 2010, 01:17:00 AM
Jus curious- would this map then be beatable if it really was on DD?

No idea; I've never tried.

Quote from: mszegedy on November 29, 2010, 01:17:00 AM
And how would this affect my score?

Your score would be exactly what gets displayed on your screen after finishing the normal way; no bonus or something like that.

mszegedy

Huh. So it's all personal challenge? Anyway, I'll go check reeeal quick to see if it's on double down... is there a keyboard shortcut that enables this? I might have accidentally pressed it...

EDIT: Nuh-ope. There's no "off" button either, which makes me wonder. And yes, I'm running the latest version (proof: I can't move the base before the timer officially begins).