CW 2 suggestion for updates/patches

Started by Karsten75, August 27, 2010, 07:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

I was wondering how many of the CW community (of which only a small fraction visit these pages) would know that a new update was available.

Now I'm wondering if it is possible when one uploads a score to the server, to send in the game version. Then the server could check it and if a higher version is available, maybe put a notification in-game that a new update/patch is available for download?

That way all active players will get notified when patches come out. I'm pretty sure a lot of players won't be checking anymore to see if a new patch is available.

Shroom Agent 27

That is a great idea. Now two questions come to mind.

1. Why are we helping out lazy people ?(you know who you are  ;))

2. How would this be done?

Kamron3

Quote from: Karsten75 on August 27, 2010, 07:02:06 PM
I was wondering how many of the CW community (of which only a small fraction visit these pages) would know that a new update was available.

Now I'm wondering if it is possible when one uploads a score to the server, to send in the game version. Then the server could check it and if a higher version is available, maybe put a notification in-game that a new update/patch is available for download?

That way all active players will get notified when patches come out. I'm pretty sure a lot of players won't be checking anymore to see if a new patch is available.
I say just every start-up Creeper World will send a small packet of information to the server to request the highest version. If the version requested is > the version being used, it will ask the user if they would like to download, they click YES and the download begins.

It's really not being lazy, software should automatically update itself, without users being asked to (in my opinion) but it should at least check for a new version and ask.

_k

The Creep Destroyer

That would be nice, :P I only found out beacause I check Creeper World every week or so.
Starcraft 2... where the creeper dies to nukes.
I use lightmage to record my scores.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Karsten75 on August 27, 2010, 07:02:06 PM

Yep, this would be nice (although it doesn't really apply to me). From experience we know that many players don't visit these forums at all until they encounter severe problems (not able to finish a map after numerous attempts or having trouble with an update).
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Aurzel

Quote from: UpperKEES on September 02, 2010, 02:20:26 PM
From experience we know that many players don't visit these forums at all until they encounter severe problems (not able to finish a map after numerous attempts or having trouble with an update).

surely you mean raging after failing five times to pick up the escape pods before the creeper gets them =D

UpperKEES

Quote from: Aurzel on September 02, 2010, 05:10:45 PM
surely you mean raging after failing five times to pick up the escape pods before the creeper gets them =D

Yep, for some players failing 5 times is a good reason to smash their keyboard into their screen. ;)

This is why I believe the final map of the story line should be very hard, so it will draw players to the forums complaining how incredibly tough it is ("I am positively sure this map can't be beaten! The players in the highscore tables must be cheaters!"). After reading the useful tips & comments by the extremely friendly and helpful community they'll most likely stay and start creating custom maps. That we pwn. Over and over. :P
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Pyxis_GeeK

Quote from: UpperKEES on September 02, 2010, 08:56:59 PM
Yep, for some players failing 5 times is a good reason to smash their keyboard into their screen. ;)

This is why I believe the final map of the story line should be very hard, so it will draw players to the forums complaining how incredibly tough it is ("I am positively sure this map can't be beaten! The players in the highscore tables must be cheaters!"). After reading the useful tips & comments by the extremely friendly and helpful community they'll most likely stay and start creating custom maps. That we pwn. Over and over. :P

Yeah that's why I came originally. Sadly I had to come a few times for different maps. I'm such a newb ;) Anyway did that and then I just started reading the other posts, liked what I saw, started making maps. One got pawned ;). Wanna hang around for a while. :D

But it would be nice to see the community continue to grow. I do like the suggestion for the updates. I come here at least once a day. It's nice having a job where I can have the forums up and look at what gets posted throughout the day. :D I just wish I could work on my maps here :D