Map Comments

Started by knucracker, April 16, 2010, 09:48:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knucracker

Just an early heads up:
If all goes well, I will soon be moving the map comment system to the forums.  This means that each map will have its own topic under a new board on these forums.  This will allow better moderation of the comments and also allow things like pictures to be attached, etc.

UpperKEES

Sounds good! Will you implement a clickable field that links from the custom map page to the according forum topic, or should people search for it?
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

J

Directly the board whith the most topics. 8)

SPIFFEN

I hope you find an way to do this so it works well ,
so the forum does'nt get confusing with all the topics for each map .
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

UpperKEES

I just noticed from a computer at work that forum guests are not able to see attachments to posts, like screenshots. Is this on purpose or just the default forum behaviour? It would mean that everybody has to create an account to be able to see the full topics (which could be considered a good thing).

In addition (and I know I asked for this somewhere else): would it be possible to allow the file size of attachments to be 300 or 320 KB? Most CW screenshots are 270-320 KB, so this would eliminate the need to compress every picture. I can imagine not everyone knows how to do this.

knucracker

Guests can now see attachments.
The max attachment size has been raised to 512k.

As for the forum based map comments.  I plan to create a new topic per map.  The map page will have a link that will jump to the correct topic.  So when you browse the maps you will be able to click on the comment link and go over to the forums in the right topic.  The first post in the topic will contain the map name and a link back to the map.  All subsequent replies on the topic will come from forum users that have some thing to say about the map.

Now, I may not create all of the topics for all of the maps up front.  I may just code it so that the topic gets created the first time someone clicks the comment link on a map.  I've not decided about this yet.  There will be as many topics as there are maps, so this will be a lot.

I imagine that most people will still access the comments via the comment link on the map page.  So I will try to still show how many comments ("replies") are available on each map.  This will make it so that the system still works pretty much the same as it does now... except the comments page will be inside the forums.

UpperKEES

Wow, that sounds advanced (and as a lot of work)! Looking forward to it....

And thanks for the modifications of the forum settings.

Vexsin

Def a step in the right direction for better implementation and making it easier for the community to share their thoughts. =)

The Creep Destroyer

I rember suggesting something like this :P, so is it Each map? Or might it be easyer just to link it to each Author first?
Starcraft 2... where the creeper dies to nukes.
I use lightmage to record my scores.

knucracker

I plan on each map having a topic.  That way I can keep the "comments" count on the map view page.
At least this is the system I have working right now.  I have to do a few small things and make the old comments visible, but if all goes well this new system will launch today or tomorrow.

Kamron3

You're going to have to make 1500+ topics for maps, virgil! That's a lot.

_k

knucracker

The topics will get created automatically in a new folder I've created.  It's been a bit of a pain to integrate with smf, but the good news is that it is at least possible.

The Creep Destroyer

Yay 3 Cheers for Virgilw~
Starcraft 2... where the creeper dies to nukes.
I use lightmage to record my scores.

Karsten75

Virgil, I know it is more work, but do you think you could include the thumbnail image in the original post? SHould not be *too* much more work and I think it could be quite useful.

Thanks.

UpperKEES

And ehm (I hardly dare to ask), could you make the author name link to all maps by that person?