Day 13: Horror, help!

Started by Michionlion, May 15, 2011, 02:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knucracker

If it is more than 15 minutes, load it up in windows movie maker (or whatever) and add some accelerators to it so it plays at 4x, or even greater, speed.  That should get the length and size down a lot while still showing the strategy.

Of course I'm guessing it wasn't over 15 minutes, so not sure why youtube kicked it out.

Kamron3

Quote from: virgilw on May 15, 2011, 07:39:24 PM
If it is more than 15 minutes, load it up in windows movie maker (or whatever) and add some accelerators to it so it plays at 4x, or even greater, speed.  That should get the length and size down a lot while still showing the strategy.

Of course I'm guessing it wasn't over 15 minutes, so not sure why youtube kicked it out.

Eh, it was over 16 minutes, but I thought they were allowing accounts without blackmarks to upload any length of video they wanted.

DethbyIT

Quote from: Fisherck on May 15, 2011, 03:28:55 PM
The creeper in the middle should be easy enough to get through with a single maker and a couple blasters.

Fisherck - I've tried several combinations for the middle. Maker+3 Blasters, tunneling straight through to the Emitter, going up and over, etc.

I'm having a real problem with putting Blasters into Creeper. It used to be that they could take some damage, but fight their way through it. Now it appears as though the Blasters just sit there and die without firing.
dbit

Emmote

I found the way to get to the 2nd pod (1st being the easy one at the top) was to use 3 Launchers and 4 Blasters. That way I could save my Ore for the last one.

Basically put a Blaster ahead of the Launchers, just for protection and the Launchers will clear away most of the creeper. When you edge them closer to the main pool so that they can shoot into it, move your 4 blasters just inside the room, the launchers should cover them enough for them to start firing - and crucially, recieve energy.
Within seconds the room will have no creeper and the blasters will be covering the emitter.
My mind rebels against stagnation.

Grauniad

Remember that launchers tend to fire at distant and more dense creeper, so you should always have a blaster in front of them to clear up thin creeper that can kill the unit.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

DethbyIT

Grauniad - can you use your magic powers to change the title of this to: "Day 13"?
I almost opened one by that title, but saw what the actual topic was here.
Thanks,
dbit

Grauniad

I could - but you may want to ask Michionlion.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Michionlion

i will... sorry
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Michionlion

ok, so my most recent try i got this:

i had finished everthing, and had even gotten thwe one surounded by creeper... but i won't be able to get to the last one on time.  more help/advice?
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Emmote

Notice you've run out of Ore.

I would suggest not using the Maker for the 2nd pod, and save your ore for use on the 4th pod, in conjunction with a lot of Launchers. Try to make a deficit so that it starts creeping away from the 4th pod.

Edit: Also, as long as you have a Launcher guarding the 3rd pod (the one surrounded by creeper) it'll always be safe, so you can leave it til last and focus on getting the 4th pod.

DethbyIT

Michionlion - I've made it all the way to that last pod a couple of times, but not quite quick enough to save the pod.
I don't think you need to worry about the top right or bottom left chambers. You have to be in that bottom right chamber by about 17 minutes or you're toast.

I've been using Repulsors in that center chamber (with the circle) to control the Creeper and get down to the bottom three.

My next attempt is going to be with Blasters, Repulsors, and a Maker. I'll let you know how it goes.
(Still scratching my head over some of these "Beta" times.)
;D

UpperKEES

Quote from: Emmote on May 16, 2011, 02:38:25 PM
Try to make a deficit

Are you sure you mean 'deficit'? Having a deficit means your units request more energy than you can supply, which in general isn't a good thing. It's displayed a little differently than in CW1, see here.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Katra

I see full power storage and 15 technytes. By this point you should have built more weapons (both blasters and launchers). Extra range really helps launchers drain pools of creeper.

At this point I had more blasters and launchers than you, and followed my friendly creeper in; digging out the strip of ground directly ahead of your current position. (Of course I had more time to work with than your screenshot shows you having left AND had cleaned out the entire circular pool.)
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

Emmote

Quote from: UpperKEES on May 16, 2011, 03:17:34 PMAre you sure you mean 'deficit'? Having a deficit means your units request more energy than you can supply, which in general isn't a good thing. It's displayed a little differently than in CW1, see here.

Ah no, by Deficit I mean... when you blow a big chunk of creeper from the center of a large mass of it, it sortof starts to implode to fill the space. So the outer creeper starts to contract, instead of expand.

So yeah, I probably ought to have said contract, instead of make a deficit.

Michionlion

Quote from: Emmote on May 16, 2011, 02:38:25 PM
Notice you've run out of Ore.

I would suggest not using the Maker for the 2nd pod, and save your ore for use on the 4th pod, in conjunction with a lot of Launchers. Try to make a deficit so that it starts creeping away from the 4th pod.

Edit: Also, as long as you have a Launcher guarding the 3rd pod (the one surrounded by creeper) it'll always be safe, so you can leave it til last and focus on getting the 4th pod.

didn't think of leaving that pod... i'll try that next

edit: results
(really close.... i'm tying to see if i can just go a bit faster going back with saves)
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!