new map pack please

Started by C10B, April 24, 2010, 06:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C10B

Unfortunately the user submitted maps are now too many, too frequent, too similar, and in the main are down right rubbish.

What would be great would be an officially endorsed pack of maps to work through. They could be the best of the user submitted maps, or "professionally" made maps.

A new map pack would rekindle my interest in the game which is currently waning.

Many thanks

C10B :-)

UpperKEES

Exactly for the reason you give a dedicated map pack would be hard to assemble, as all players have different tastes and skills. So who should be the judge? Manually downloading them allows you to see the ratings, description, difficulty and comments. Something that will cost you 10 seconds for 15-30 minutes of fun.

I don't agree that most maps are 'rubbish'; I actually think the quality has improved over the past months, probably because the map makers are getting more experienced and mature. Of course there will always be people (often newbies) submitting maps that have hardly been tested, but after a while you'll probably know the names of the authors you can appreciate.

I see your point though. Downloading a pack with several dozens of maps is more convenient. I did so for the first thousand, but find myself downloading the most interesting latest maps anyway, as it gives me more insight because of the comments and the remarks from the author that I miss when I just click one in the list. (If I have to click the 'online' button 5 times before I find a map to my likings, it probably has cost me more time than going to the site straight away.)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Sqaz

I think a CW players pack would be great, I know there are a lot good maps that I've not played yet but I can't really seperate them from the bad maps.

Also regarding the difficulty, you'd maybe have four parts of the map pack with each another difficulty.

Or maybe a thread could be made a like Ed's picks... but for maps from every difficulty, as it's for people with not much time very hard to seperate the bad from the good maps.

iycgtptyarvg

I wholeheartedly agree with the map pack idea. I too am put back a little by the sheer amount of maps.

I would really appreciate a map pack (with difficulty indicators).

Sqaz

What about a MAP OF THE DAY thread, UpperKees and Karsten could then always choose the map they liked the most.

That'll give a good indication of which map you've got to play.

Karsten75

Quote from: Sqaz on April 25, 2010, 12:31:57 PM
What about a MAP OF THE DAY thread, UpperKees and Karsten could then always choose the map they liked the most.

That'll give a good indication of which map you've got to play.

Why make work for other people? Make your own thread. 

Read my Ed.'s Picks thread. Of course there is no guarantee that other people will like the maps I choose.

Sqaz

Quote from: Karsten75 on April 25, 2010, 01:13:39 PM

Well, you two have to play all the maps anyway.

And the maps from your Ed's picks are more for the medium players, they are fun but don't provide a real challenge.

Karsten75

Quote from: Sqaz on April 26, 2010, 02:03:55 PM
Quote from: Karsten75 on April 25, 2010, 01:13:39 PM

Well, you two have to play all the maps anyway.

And the maps from your Ed's picks are more for the medium players, they are fun but don't provide a real challenge.

And already it starts.  "... they are fun but don't provide a real challenge." Next there will be complaints that they are too hard or too short or too fuzzy or to smooth or too sugary. ;)

Seriously, there is no accounting for taste. If you want a compilation of "challenging" maps, start a thread listing those maps you found challenging. Then be prepared to deal with some complaints that the compilation is just not right for whoever tried them out.

Any compilation will reflect the taste of the compiler. It's like movie reviews and asking Egbert and Siskel to compile  a thread of "good movies" - a bunch of people will complain that their fave movies or their genre has been omitted.

There is a movie - "The Gods Must Be Crazy" that played for >13 years in a few cinemas, and still it has not made as much money as "Avatar". Which is the best movie?

UpperKEES

My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview