Custom map letters that makes the upload/download fail .

Started by SPIFFEN, March 26, 2010, 10:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPIFFEN

If you have tryed to uploade an map ,
and it failed because there was an letter that did'nt make it work ,
post it here .

Then we can see what we cant use as an map name when we try to uploade it .

So far i have experienced that these letters might make it fail :

?  ( map name that has this in the end )
.  ( its better to use , )
: ( right click and choose downloade as ... )

If you have experienced other letters that make it fail ,
post them here plz .
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

SPIFFEN

Downloading maps that have :
also is a bit tricky =P
I have to select " save as " by right clicking them . ( Useing the right button on the mouse )
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
How to make links

UpperKEES

We've had this discussion before (see here), so I'm not sure what's wrong this time. A file name can never contain a colon (':'), so I really wonder why you get to see it.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

SPIFFEN

He he yes i know , and i still have this problem ,
all your maps is called : Nice Job xx: ...   ,
so i think it's the : that does this .

But when i right click the map as select it as save as ,
it get saved with _ instead of :
Other maps i only press the left mouse button and can save it .
How to make links

UpperKEES

It seems that Virgil uses the name typed during uploading as the file name, instead of the name the file has itself when uploaded. This is not clear to everybody (including myself), but on the other hand you are the only one having problems with this, so I'd really like to know what's different about your system compared to those of others. You use the same OS as I do and probably more people use regional settings.

I never download my own maps of course, but when I just tried, the colon was replaced by an underscore ('_') automatically. Not sure if my browser (Firefox) does this for me, or if Virgil replaces odd characters himself.

Anybody with similar problems?

thepenguin

Quote from: UpperKEES on June 05, 2010, 04:04:47 PM
We've had this discussion before (see here), so I'm not sure what's wrong this time. A file name can never contain a colon (':'), so I really wonder why you get to see it.

APPLE MACINTOSH

We have become the creeper...

Karsten75

Quote from: thepenguin on August 19, 2010, 07:00:46 AM
Quote from: UpperKEES on June 05, 2010, 04:04:47 PM

APPLE MACINTOSH

There are not that many Apple Macintosh servers out there, so I doubt Virgil has the luxury to host his site on an Apple Macintosh. As such, he is subject to the limitations imposed by Windows/Linux servers.

thepenguin

well, I know that windows does not tolerate colons

not sure about linux though, I think most servers are on linux
We have become the creeper...

Echo51

Mostly linux yeah, then comes windows, mac servers are only for people that deal with them ;)
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

UpperKEES

What is the use of the server accepting colons and other invalid characters when your own computer wouldn't be able to handle them? The file names should just consist out of valid characters unless CW takes over the world like the creeper did before. ;)