Enough with the crappy maps already!

Started by Karsten75, March 31, 2010, 10:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

Hey guys, the idea of maps is that people can play them and win. All these maps that are showing up with incredible spore waves, or Odin City anchored downstream from a 30+ emitter is not a map that is going to be published.

It is incredibly frustrating to have to sit here and review bunches of maps that are clearly not designed to be played. If your map is so hard that Odin City dies during the first 30 seconds, or you drain all the energy from Odin City by anchoring it to 4 totems and with no terrain to build energy, your map will be rejected and you will have to submit proof that you (or someone that beta-tested the map for you) can complete the map.

Also, no obscene images or text.

If you want maps like that, host them yourself and let people download them from your own site.

It is my personal opinion that most players like to play maps that can be competed in 15-20 minutes, with exceptions for longer play on challenging, interesting maps. If you make a "snake" map where all a player has to do is build a collector, advance a blaster, build a collector... not many people are going to like that mode of play. And if one map like that has been done, your variation on a theme is probably getting old. If you can't come up with something new, better don't publish the same thing in a slightly different guise.

iliekmudkips

Apparently a toilet falls under obscene images or text.  It was a good map too.  I guess all the good ones get rejected because the admin is a republican who is offended by anything that isn't G rated.... and even some things that are.

Sqaz

You don't have to be a republican to reject your toilet map. I think every normal thinking person would have rejected that map, especially with that background image.

So don't blame Karsten and don't tell me you really expected that map to get published.

Daos

I made a toilet map, too. So I do not think the fact that your map featured a toilet was the reason it was not accepted.

Topic: I am propably one of the guys Karsten is referring to. Im am sorry, if I made maps that are considered as "bad" or "unwanted". I am new to the game and had fun in creating maps and sharing them. I also intended to create maps, that are hard for people that are better than me.

I am sorry for this and will drasticly reduce the number of maps, that I will upload. Feel free to delete unwanted maps, that I uploaded. I had nothing bad in mind, as I created them.

Karsten75

Quote from: iliekmudkips on April 01, 2010, 05:37:03 AM
Apparently a toilet falls under obscene images or text.  It was a good map too.  I guess all the good ones get rejected because the admin is a republican who is offended by anything that isn't G rated.... and even some things that are.

I wonder what you are like IRL. Do you just go around insulting people? Do you have many friends that use offensive language and enjoy images of fecal matter, or the idea of playing in fecal matter?  

I imagine that you get banned at quite a number of Internet sites and are probably a 4chan regular.

You know full well your image was not simply a toilet.

And your repertoire of insults seem to be rather limited.

As far as I know this site is attempting to appeal to a wider audience and is trying to be non-offensive in general. This site is not restricted to those who desire (or even tolerate) offensive images.

UpperKEES

My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Karsten75

Quote from: Daos on April 01, 2010, 08:09:56 AM
I made a toilet map, too. So I do not think the fact that your map featured a toilet was the reason it was not accepted.

Topic: I am propably one of the guys Karsten is referring to. Im am sorry, if I made maps that are considered as "bad" or "unwanted". I am new to the game and had fun in creating maps and sharing them. I also intended to create maps, that are hard for people that are better than me.

I am sorry for this and will drasticly reduce the number of maps, that I will upload. Feel free to delete unwanted maps, that I uploaded. I had nothing bad in mind, as I created them.

The maps I refer to are maps that do not get approves and are not made available on the site. In over 300 maps, I think I have rejected about 9 maps so far. I try to err on the side of caution, even if I cannot play the map, there may well be a number of expert players that can play the map.  But no-one can play if a far-off pod is overwhelmed in 6  seconds or if you cannot connect a totem to the grid at all.

You can go all sniffy on me, but you called this map "easy," yet there are no scores posted on it, not even you yourself can do it, it seems. OTOH, you made a few other maps that seems to be just fine and are getting good comments, so I wonder why you think this was directed at you? In fact I played a few of your maps and thought they were good fun.

knucracker

Karsten75 is a volunteer for the map approval process.  He rejects maps based on Knuckle Cracker policy as conveyed to him.  This policy has nothing do with with any political party.  The maps I choose to allow are chosen subjectively and at the discretion of Knuckle Cracker, LLC.  Reasons for not including a map on the web site may be stated, but are not required.

Note that the vast majority of maps are approved for the site.  Maps that are not approved usually have some flaw or some image that do not meet my subjective criteria.  Since my criteria is subjective, it can't be stated as a set of clear rules... nor do I believe that it need be.  For instance, toilet maps are fine, so long as they not contain images of raw sewage.  You or I and many others might think the map is funny.  But there are probably significant numbers of others that might not, and I can understand their reasons.

Lastly,  karsten75 is more generous with the maps that I was.  When maps came through and I thought I saw a flaw in the first 10 seconds, I didn't waste any more time on it. karsten75 at least takes the time to give more careful consideration to the map author and his intent, and this is a good thing for everyone.

The smoking revolver

Virgel has a point.
your maps get regected because they are offencev to most people
There is always a I in team

Daos

Quote from: Karsten75 on April 01, 2010, 12:35:08 PM
Quote from: Daos on April 01, 2010, 08:09:56 AM

The maps I refer to are maps that do not get approves and are not made available on the site. In over 300 maps, I think I have rejected about 9 maps so far. I try to err on the side of caution, even if I cannot play the map, there may well be a number of expert players that can play the map.  But no-one can play if a far-off pod is overwhelmed in 6  seconds or if you cannot connect a totem to the grid at all.

You can go all sniffy on me, but you called this map "easy," yet there are no scores posted on it, not even you yourself can do it, it seems. OTOH, you made a few other maps that seems to be just fine and are getting good comments, so I wonder why you think this was directed at you? In fact I played a few of your maps and thought they were good fun.

Ok, I think I overreacted a little bit.  I thought a lot about my maps and my misjudged difficulty. And then I read this post and thought "crap, I am one of the guys he mentioned, because I uploaded many maps lately".

Btw. just finished desert rain ^^ maybe it is medium, because you have to find out a tactic to beat that map.