Can you trick a mortar?

Started by Karsten75, August 18, 2010, 06:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

There is a discussion on blasters firing into the same spot repeatedly, regardless of the fact that there may be creeper at the same distance in other positions.

Now a thought occurred to me. I have sometimes observed a mortar being ineffective, since it is positioned so that it keeps firing at an active emitter (because the creeper erupting from the emitter is, of course at a certain depth) and ignoring other pools of creeper within its firing range that seem equally deep and/or dangerous. In these cases I try and move the mortar slightly so that the emitter is not in range and I get the desired effect.

Thinking about it I find it hard to conceive a way to test this, so I'm asking here.

UpperKEES

I also move it just out of range of the emitter and I haven't found a better solution yet, so any suggestions are welcome to me as well.

When you have 2 mortars firing in sync at the same spot all the time there is a trick: fly one of them away for a few blocks and while in mid-air you send it back to it's original spot, so it's starts firing again (but this time out of sync with the second mortar).
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Fisherck

Well kinda ironically, i just submitted a map that features this very predicamint. You need to be careful where you place the mortars when you reach the emmiters, because they can lock on them, and that is all the mortars will shoot at. My map is called Café Wall illusion.

As for testing it, try to put some high intensity and interval emmiters at a high terrain and put a mortar in range. A checkerboard design would be best to do this, with deep pools of Creeper within range of the mortar too.

Here is a Café Wall illusion and you can see why I noticed in that map.
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

Karsten75

Quote from: UpperKEES on August 18, 2010, 06:48:34 PM
I also move it just out of range of the emitter and I haven't found a better solution yet, so any suggestions are welcome to me as well.

When you have 2 mortars firing in sync at the same spot all the time there is a trick: fly one of them away for a few blocks and while in mid-air you send it back to it's original spot, so it's starts firing again (but this time out of sync with the second mortar).

Yes, in fact I think you can simply make it fly to the current position and that puts it out of sync. Used that myself. If you do that it kind of lifts off and settles back.

Edit. This is perhaps a slightly more complicated problem where multiple weapons (blasters or mortars, but all of the same type) selects the same spot of creeper to fire on. It would be nice if they could co-operate and not all target the same location at the same time.

MadMag

I had this problem when i made the Alcatraz map, where the creepers where "hold hostage" in wall blocks. the mortars attacked the eremitter inside to blocks (pointless) instead of the deep creeper just outside the island

F0R

The reason is because the creeper pays them to make silly mistakes. So it can take over and destroy u