Ground rules

Started by Clean0nion, April 08, 2014, 06:54:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asbestos

Quote from: Clean0nion on April 12, 2014, 11:11:50 AM
Quote from: Asbestos on April 12, 2014, 10:51:26 AM
I think maps that are the original should be uploaded to CS, and maps that are updated should be posted here on the forums.
For example:
AutoPost: Original Map #1337

commenter098: Hey, can I have the easy version? This is too hard.

mapmaker1234: Okay, here.
attached: originalmapv2

commenter098: Thanks!
You're full of excellent ideas.
Sarcasm?

ZackNAttack

Quote from: Asbestos on April 12, 2014, 10:51:26 AM
I think maps that are the original should be uploaded to CS, and maps that are updated should be posted here on the forums.
For example:
AutoPost: Original Map #1337

commenter098: Hey, can I have the easy version? This is too hard.

mapmaker1234: Okay, here.
attached: originalmapv2

commenter098: Thanks!
Is the example map too hard because it's 13373? ;D
Zack on cw3

J

Without looking at the maps, I can say that map #1337 (CW2) was my map (The bowl) and I didn't make an easy version.

If it differs enough so you can say that it really targets a different skill level, I have no problems with new versions. Just don't upload them immediatly and only after multiple requests.

Asbestos

Quote from: J on April 12, 2014, 01:52:19 PM
Without looking at the maps, I can say that map #1337 (CW2) was my map (The bowl) and I didn't make an easy version.
Oh? Well, that was a coincidence.

Helper

Quote from: Karsten75 on April 08, 2014, 07:29:31 AM
There is also the small issue of community moderation / map reporting. Just don't organize a gang of vigilantes.

That gang now has two members and the comments (IMO) could easily escalate into some ugly back and forth.
Please stop with the "...violates Rule 3 of community enforced Ground Rules" posts.
As I understand the actual site guidelines, we can either 'hide' a map and move on down the road or 'Report' it and let TPTB handle it.

burguertime

Quote from: Helper on April 11, 2014, 05:56:09 AM
It appears as though Karsten75 is telling everyone to upload any kind of map they want.

The "Do NOT Upload Maps Here" rule should be more of a guideline...

Quote from: J on April 12, 2014, 01:52:19 PM

If it differs enough so you can say that it really targets a different skill level, I have no problems with new versions. Just don't upload them immediatly and only after multiple requests.

Honestly, the maps that are getting "easy" versions, are not doing a favor to the little tykes that are trying SO hard to finish the maps. The average skill level of the player is getting lower and lower.

The Planetfall space station map (don't remember name), got an easy version and I was "what? why an easy version, that map wasn't hard at all."

Tell the people requesting for easier maps to toughen up and learn 2 play. indeed.

need to update my Sig.
Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.

Nemoricus

Quote from: burguertime on April 13, 2014, 08:21:41 AM
Tell the people requesting for easier maps to toughen up and learn 2 play. indeed.

What if I want to play a nice, relaxing map that doesn't need frame perfect execution?

Maps should serve a variety of skill levels, from the beginner to the hardcore expert. Remember, no one starts this game as an expert, and if all the custom maps serve experts, then many players will be turned off.

That said, making an easier version of an existing map shouldn't be done unless it ended up harder than the map maker intended. Otherwise, let the challenge stand...

Helper

Quote from: burguertime on April 13, 2014, 08:21:41 AM

Or maybe we adopt a 'Big Tent' theory and try to accommodate players at all levels. I will usually take a run at anything submitted, but often have to give it up and try something more at my skill level. I think it was some of PlanetFall's maps that stumped me in the original versions, but were a lot of fun to play in the revisions.
H