map makers can delete comments .

Started by SPIFFEN, April 15, 2010, 08:22:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPIFFEN

To clean up this game easyier , the map makers should be abel to delete comments from Spammers .
If you dont find an better way to do so .
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

Karsten75

Quote from: SPIFFEN on April 15, 2010, 08:22:58 AM
To clean up this game easyier , the map makers should be abel to delete comments from Spammers .
If you dont find an better way to do so .

Some mapmakers will simply delete all comment they don't want. I predict that in the short term the comments ysstem will be locked. In the longer term, it map be possible to bring all comments into the forums (I already suggested that ) by creating a new thread for each approved map. That will enforce registration and management of posters.

PS. Thanks for ruining my "welcome" thread into a discussion of all sorts of things.  And, for the record, I'm strictly against deleting any posts that does not contravene posting guidelines. I'm OK with them being moved to this thread though, but I'm also OK with them remaining exactly where they are in the spirit of "don't make work for the mods and admin" guideline that should govern all moderating actions.

UpperKEES

As long as you don't have to register to post comments (which encourages people to leave a message), there will always be a few rotten apples who abuse this freedom. Without a login it's also impossible to determine the author and who would be authorized to remove comments (if desired; like Karsten I am not a fan of this).

Maybe an additional (optional) field on the upload form could be used to link to a forum topic for all maps by this author (with a mandatory prefix http://knucklecracker.com/forums/). This way it would be possible to get rid of the comments completely. I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to create threads for every single map out there (which would soon mean about 2,000 forum topics).
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

SPIFFEN

Then comments should have an link from the custom map page to an thread for that players maps in the forum .
( and i think your right about that players delete comments that they dont like )

And an Main thread called : Players maps , where all players has an thread for their maps , should work fine .
I think that might work better than that all maps have an thread ,
it's better with 850 threads than 1500 , if you see what i mean .

And i'm sorry for the welcome thing , and i guess its because of what happend yesterday .
hopefully the threads get cleen soon , so it's just for welcome again , so sorry .
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

ThePhantom

I think it might be better to start a main topic for a creator then put all their maps under their name. That way the forum wouldn't get crowded with thousands of map names, rather creator names. However, it would be a good idea to give the publisher (assuming that they signed up on the website and have an email that matches the one they put on the map) the right to remove comments that they dislike, or aren't necessary.
This is for the record.. I will not go silently into the night! I will not go without a fight! Tonight I make my final stand! I go forth in the hell I choose for myself, not the one chosen for me! I will return from this hell, or leave this world knowing I died a cause I wanted to die for!
~Phantom

Karsten75

Quote from: ThePhantom on April 16, 2010, 05:45:37 PM
I think it might be better to start a main topic for a creator then put all their maps under their name. That way the forum wouldn't get crowded with thousands of map names, rather creator names. However, it would be a good idea to give the publisher (assuming that they signed up on the website and have an email that matches the one they put on the map) the right to remove comments that they dislike, or aren't necessary.

This is going to be the biggest problem issue. What map authors don't want or may consider unnecessary is not necessarily what the community thinks is unwanted or unnecessary. The facility to remove comments should not be designed to protect the sensitivity of the mapmaker.  That's not how the Internet works.

ThePhantom

Quote from: Karsten75 on April 16, 2010, 06:15:41 PM
Quote from: ThePhantom on April 16, 2010, 05:45:37 PM

This is going to be the biggest problem issue. What map authors don't want or may consider unnecessary is not necessarily what the community thinks is unwanted or unnecessary. The facility to remove comments should not be designed to protect the sensitivity of the mapmaker.  That's not how the Internet works.

extremely true

maybe there should be a mod system like certain mods watch forums certain mods watch the chat and certain mods watch map comments (or maybe just get a lot of mods and have them watch all of the above) but if there is something spammed on or rather unnecessary rather than leaving it there to annoy people it should be deleted one way another if it's completely necessary
This is for the record.. I will not go silently into the night! I will not go without a fight! Tonight I make my final stand! I go forth in the hell I choose for myself, not the one chosen for me! I will return from this hell, or leave this world knowing I died a cause I wanted to die for!
~Phantom

Daos

You could use the "report a moderator" button, if someone posts an unfitting comment.