How to solve Octan (spoiler alert)

Started by Blauwbaard, August 27, 2009, 06:44:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JACKL

lol,that was actually one of the easiest maps in the game for me! ::)
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poke me in the ribs and cackle, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

jem

i didn't think octan is difficult. beat it on first try. (30 min :(  )  tucana was a hell map. i used youtube for that map.
remember to play my maps. maps from the player jem! http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=jem

Trippynet

I had no troubles with that map and completed it fairly easily the first time around. My tips for you though:

Firstly, SAM sites aren't a problem. They don't take too long to build, can be moved as you advance and once they're charged up, they use no further energy except every few minutes just to quickly recharge after a spore attack. Therefore, ignore the creeper initially, build up a network of collectors, then build 3 or 4 SAM sites to protect them. After that, then it's time to concentrate on the creeper before it overflows the pools. The only thing to remember with SAM sites is to move/expand them accordingly as you advance. Usually, you can just move your existing ones further forwards.

For the pools, mortars are where it's at, but do remember that you can disarm them as well. A very effective strategy I find in these levels when you're not over-flush with power is to bomb 2 of the creeper pools a bit to lower their level, then disarm those mortars and arm some other mortars to attack the other 2 pools which are now considerably fuller. This allows you to keep the creeper in check whilst still having enough energy to expand your collector network and build weapons.

Finally, ALWAYS look at capping the emitters. It's surprisingly easy to use 3 or 4 blasters and a mortar, walk them forwards into the pools whilst expanding your collectors to keep them powered until you reach and cap the emitter. Then, you just leave one blaster behind to keep the emitter capped and move onto the next pool.

By doing this, it's pretty simple to keep the spore attacks at bay, keep the creeper pools under control, then systematically kill each pool off and activate all the totems. If you try and approach the later levels by just reaching the totems and not capping the emitters, you'll always find it fairly tough going.

Karsten75

Quote from: Trippynet on March 31, 2010, 01:54:21 PM
I had no troubles with that map and completed it fairly easily the first time around. My tips for you though:

Wow, I guess Virgil is still getting new players!  :)

Welcome and stick around. You will learn much.   ;D

Take me for instance - I came here because I could not beat Gump. Last night I scored 3rd position on one of =http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/mapcomments.php?id=1161&scores=1Alwego's maps.

* Karsten75 goes to fetch the map URL. Looks shocked. Shakes first.

Damn you who took my 3rd place!  :P

* Karsten75 goes to fetch a stick with which to beat UpperKEES with. 

Brownie points for anyone that can figure out the sentence above.

J

Quote from: AndyY on August 28, 2009, 09:05:47 AM
Blauwbaard - I know that figuring it out yourself is half the fun, but I've got a low down of my solution for Tucana in the strategy guide I've been working on (with additions from others!)

http://www.pc-games-and-reviews.com/creeper-world-tactics.html

(Btw: If you've got anything to add let me know!)
Never build a relay in a collector ring, you must know a collector olso as connector.

Echo51

I'd build that collector ring closer so they all connected to odin city, thus giving more equal engery routes
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

UpperKEES

That collector ring makes no sense anyway.... :P

I read that article a couple of months ago, but decided not to write anything about it, as it is good marketing for CW. I rather let people find out themselves.... ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview