Started by AutoPost, April 17, 2010, 02:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: the valley of doom

Author: jono

Desc:
doom, doom and more doom

Karsten75

As someone remarked, I *must* be a masochist, 'cuz this one is a flying map.

Things have moved on to where the best times can mostly be achieved by flying units, which I think was really not the original intent of the game.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Karsten75 on June 02, 2010, 08:28:55 PM
As someone remarked, I *must* be a masochist, 'cuz this one is a flying map.

;)

Things have moved on to where the best times can mostly be achieved by flying units

This only works for very few maps: maps that intentionally require flying, or even bridging and maps that have been designed badly.

which I think was really not the original intent of the game.

Virgil actually did intend this, read here.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Karsten75

Quote from: UpperKEES on June 02, 2010, 08:38:18 PM
which I think was really not the original intent of the game.

Virgil actually did intend this, read here.

I said it badly. I intended to say that Virgil probably never intended for maps to be created where OC or a unit has to be in the air to effect and maintain a connection.  I have no problem with one (or even multiple) relocations of OC. I have a problem with "bridging."

UpperKEES

I don't like it either and I think you're right that Virgil probably didn't intend this.

However any map maker nowadays should know this technique exists and prevent it from being used (unless intended).

I didn't use it for this map by the way. You have to wait until a free space becomes available for a collector to connect to the totems and bridging doesn't solve that here. Once the walls have decayed you move in with full force and that's it.

Karsten75

I still used OC to fly over and connect a totem. My timing was a little off - I placed a flying blaster incorrectly and I had so many blasters in the air I could not figure out which one it was. Without that, I might have sneaked in ahead of you! :)

UpperKEES

When I planned my approach for this one I also figured I should charge one totem with OC, but when I came to that point I had so many speed nodes that building a collector was just as fast. You have to wait for the collector of the second totem anyway, so it didn't turn out to be a speed gain.

Karsten75

Quote from: UpperKEES on June 03, 2010, 01:32:43 PM
When I planned my approach for this one I also figured I should charge one totem with OC, but when I came to that point I had so many speed nodes that building a collector was just as fast. You have to wait for the collector of the second totem anyway, so it didn't turn out to be a speed gain.

You think?  ;D

UpperKEES

Heheh! Nice score (and well timed)!

But as you've noticed it's only a difference of 8 seconds, so I wouldn't say this map requires flying.

By the way, any idea why the walls don't decay symmetrically while that part of the map seems to be? (That's why you have your slight advantage.)

Karsten75

Quote from: UpperKEES on June 03, 2010, 02:14:06 PM

By the way, any idea why the walls don't decay symmetrically while that part of the map seems to be? (That's why you have your slight advantage.)

No, I don't. But now this totally does not make sense. Look at this screenshot. At 6:17 the wall has not decayed enough to place a connector near the top totem.  What explanation can there possibly be that you have been able to connect to it by 5:26?  The rate of decay on your system seems to be bigger than the rate of decay on mine??

From time to time something happens that awakens again in me the nagging doubt that there are timing issues in this game and that those explain why some people get scores that are not repeatable by others.

UpperKEES

Indeed interesting. A difference between our approaches is however that I never went up to the emitters until there was space available. I remember (don't forget it was months ago) that there was a slight difference in time when those spots became available (and I had OC waiting near the bottom one, that's also why I aborted my flying strategy).

But on the same machine you would expect the decaying to be equally fast near the two totems when exactly symmetrical, right? Are all emitters the same strength? (This is one of the maps with an altered name on my machine due to importing, so I can't load it easily into the map editor.)

Edit: Didn't you tell me last week that you have so many pc's? Why don't you do exactly the same thing on two of them (pick a fast and a slow one)?

Karsten75

Quote from: UpperKEES on June 03, 2010, 03:05:50 PM
Indeed interesting. A difference between our approaches is however that I never went up to the emitters until there was space available. I remember (don't forget it was months ago) that there was a slight difference in time when those spots became available (and I had OC waiting near the bottom one, that's also why I aborted my flying strategy).

But on the same machine you would expect the decaying to be equally fast near the two totems when exactly symmetrical, right? Are all emitters the same strength? (This is one of the maps with an altered name on my machine due to importing, so I can't load it easily into the map editor.)

Edit: Didn't you tell me last week that you have so many pc's? Why don't you do exactly the same thing on two of them (pick a fast and a slow one)?

I have two that I can play CW on.  Good idea, I might do that. Both are now Win 7 machines, so if it is an OS issue, it will not be apparent.

As for the uneven decay, I have no idea, I was watching carefully and the creeper seemed to touch both sides about the same time and definitely not with such a long interval as account for an entire layer's decay.

Edit: It might be illuminating if you could post a screenie of the wall having decayed that fast. That would also serve as evidence that we can provide to Virgil that there are timing issues in the game.  

UpperKEES

I'll try that later on, as I'm currently working on Nice Job 23....

Echo51

Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

Karsten75

Screenie with 3 walls decayed so that one can build a collector near the upper totem...  Note 7 minutes and the vertical wall is just collapsing.

This on my laptop, with Win 7.

And here, with drastic differences, is the results on my desktop: