Custom Map: Giants Causeway

Started by AutoPost, July 20, 2010, 04:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Giants Causeway

Author: RichieRich

Desc:
Tough start but can be played laid back.

UpperKEES

Fun map! First I was bit bit afraid that I wouldn't be able to see what I was doing, but this is no problem at all. I played a bit stupid and lost 2 reactors + 3 mortars, but still managed a decent time. Thanks!
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

snowmaker (JM)

Nice map. It got tough to see after awhile, of course my progression slowed down when I didn't build enough reactors towards the end.  8)

RichieRich

Glad you enjoyed it.

I came across the image and thought it was perfect for a level.

Of course, you did both trash my time... The left side was tougher and I way overbuilt in anticipation of this.

No onto hard art.

Karsten75

Yep, I thought this was a great map also.

Vexsin

I liked it... Not sure how you did this in 17 min though...

UpperKEES

Quote from: Vexsin on July 23, 2010, 12:12:51 PM
Not sure how you did this in 17 min though...

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

I picked up the relay tech and 2 upgrades on my way down. First concentrated on generating energy (like I do for every map) and defended myself with just 1 mortar that I moved around a bit. I connected to most totems by using relays and suicide mortars (which I didn't time very well a couple of times).
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Karsten75

And here I thought my crappy score would get me in like, maybe 5th position... Wow.

Vexsin

That makes more sense to me now Kees, I only got 1 upgrade on the way down, no tech. Build up lots of reactors with only 1 mortar to keep things at bay. I wound up capping off only what I needed to push through, but it took me a lot of energy and was slow.

Karsten75

Quote from: AutoPost on July 20, 2010, 04:54:27 PM

Thought of a great pun since I think I read somewhere the map author said this was from Scotland?

"Tough start but can be plaid laid back" :D

Fisherck

Quote from: UpperKEES on July 23, 2010, 12:24:17 PM

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

I picked up the relay tech and 2 upgrades on my way down. First concentrated on generating energy (like I do for every map) and defended myself with just 1 mortar that I moved around a bit. I connected to most totems by using relays and suicide mortars (which I didn't time very well a couple of times).

Funny, I thought of the same thing. Well, except for the suicide mortars but those were a good touch. I also seriously under built. I ended up building about 50% more reactors than when I started, and I was still in the red. I like maps with background pictures, and this was no exception. The hardest part (except for depletion) was that my mortars kept targeting emitters again and again, not shooting at deeper spots. But I got over it.
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

RichieRich

Quote from: Karsten75 on July 23, 2010, 02:05:58 PM
And here I thought my crappy score would get me in like, maybe 5th position... Wow.

You are getting there  :P

Quote from: Karsten75 on July 23, 2010, 04:09:54 PM
Quote from: AutoPost on July 20, 2010, 04:54:27 PM

Thought of a great pun since I think I read somewhere the map author said this was from Scotland?

"Tough start but can be plaid laid back" :D

It is actually from Northern Ireland (in many ways as close to Scotland as Austria is to Germany  ;D).

It is a natural rock formation which is both staggering (in it's symmetry) and disappointing (in its scale).

Eg:

Quote from: Fisherck on July 23, 2010, 08:41:35 PMThe hardest part (except for depletion) was that my mortars kept targeting emitters again and again, not shooting at deeper spots. But I got over it.

I had to fiddle with the emitters a bit to achieve that  8) It was way easy before I did that.

Karsten75

OK, I need help with my strategy:

Here's what I do:

1. I grab the relay tech and upgrade - apply to cost -10%

2. Fly to the spot on the highest ground and build  a collector (that later gets flooded with creeper) to crab the reactor tech.

3. Build a few collectors so that I can start spamming reactors on the high ground. Sometimes I later destroy and rebuild the collectors to get optimum placement for more reactors. I also build one mortar that I fly to the 4 corners of the high rock to fire shots at the surrounding creeper. Once I'm at about 5 energy, I build another mortar, position it at the lower right corner of the rock to keep that pool in check and invade to point 2 (where the reactor tech used to be.

4. A few more reactors and mortars, and area 3 clears up for about 5 or 6 more reactors.

Then a push (with flying mortars for points 4 (speed tech and on to the small high point at the top.

5. Then across (again with flying mortars) to the storage tech and to place mortars to subdue that pool. Then spam area 6 with reactors, 1 storage and a few speed units. Also use as a staging point to build/rest flying mortars.

6. Then I fly mortars to points 9 and start a push with blasters, mortars and relays on arrows 8. (Looking at it, I see I should have probably pushed closer to the upgrade near arrow 8.)

After that I build relays to points 9 to power the mortars there.

It still takes 20 minutes.

Where can I optimize?

Karsten75

Quote from: RichieRich on July 23, 2010, 09:09:35 PM
Quote from: Karsten75 on July 23, 2010, 02:05:58 PM

You are getting there  :P

Or maybe not... :P