Automatic updates

Started by Grauniad, September 22, 2011, 06:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grauniad

I am stunned how many reports (in custom map comments, map approvals, etc.) I've seen of people struggling with the "nexus explosion crash" bug that you fixed way back in 0337.

I'm wondering if you would be considering an invasion of privacy or if there is some other reason you'd rather not do this, but can the game "call home" either when the user submits a score, or when the game starts up and put up a prominent notification that a new update is available? User does not have to install it, just to alert them. (You could even just turn the "Update" button on the home panel a bright, pulsing red.)  :)
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

lich98

that would be great. then if all i do is play the game then i can know if there is an update
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

UpperKEES

My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

mthw2vc

Perhaps a better way would be to simply have CW2 check automatically when starting up and put up a giant, impossible-to-miss notice only if the check returns that there is an update? It would be effective, if more than a tad obnoxious.

lich98

Quote from: mthw2vc on September 22, 2011, 06:22:40 PM
Perhaps a better way would be to simply have CW2 check automatically when starting up and put up a giant, impossible-to-miss notice only if the check returns that there is an update? It would be effective, if more than a tad obnoxious.
that might annoy some people though. I like the first idea better
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

Michionlion

bright pulsing update button? I like!
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Ginger88895

Yay I like the bright pulsing update button!
Let's also make it in CW2E!

Jay the Juggernaut

Me like. I was away for a while, and if you aren't on the forum (or blog, sometimes), you really just forget (or don't care) about the check update button.
I'll mostly be lurking as a guest, not much into posting anymore. :P