More new boards

Started by Karsten75, September 07, 2010, 06:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

I would like to suggest that Virgil adds boards for his other games (such as Chopraider and Whiteboard war) to these forums. He might get some cross-pollination of players and a bigger group of participants.

knucracker

Yeah.... I should do this.  It's been on my list for like a year now :)
Maybe I could get some suggestions for how the boards should be arranged.

I'll eventually need a set of CW2 boards, these existing CW1 boards, and I'd like a "set" of boards for the whiteboardwar games (for which there is only chopraider currently.

This is all organized like this in my head:

-KnuckleCracker
   -Creeper World
      -Creeper World
      -Creeper World 2
   -WhiteBoardWar
      -ChopRaider
      -ChopRaider 2 (future)

Maybe I don't need the outer "Creeper World" and "WhiteboardWar" levels shown above and can just create two more categories; "Creeper World 2" and "ChopRaider".  Each will have it's own set of boards (general, suggestions, etc).

And I guess I should move the current announcements board up to a new category called "Knuckle Cracker".

Then I need to redo the main page of the website to show all of the games, provide a link to the online version of chopraider, etc...

UpperKEES

Quote from: Karsten75 on September 07, 2010, 06:14:48 PM
He might get some cross-pollination of players and a bigger group of participants.

Very true.

Quote from: virgilw on September 07, 2010, 07:16:12 PM
Maybe I could get some suggestions for how the boards should be arranged.

Maybe I don't need the outer "Creeper World" and "WhiteboardWar" levels shown above and can just create two more categories; "Creeper World 2" and "ChopRaider".  Each will have it's own set of boards (general, suggestions, etc).

The logical part in me says: the outer levels are neat! The practical part in me however says: forget about these additional layers, it just takes too much time to open these boards every time, which would be different if you had developed dozens of games that needed to be grouped.

And I guess I should move the current announcements board up to a new category called "Knuckle Cracker".

Indeed.

Then I need to redo the main page of the website to show all of the games, provide a link to the online version of chopraider, etc...

That would be nice, but I wouldn't wait with the forum changes (that won't take too much of your time) until you're gonna change the website. If you wait too long there will be too many topics that need to be moved which will cost you even more time later on to sort out.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

knucracker

Agreed....
So I can create a "Creeper World 2" category (I just created the Knuckle Cracker category and moved announcements to it).
What board(s) should I initially create in the Creeper World 2 category I wonder...?

The current goal of the board would be to let people talk about CW2, or speculate about it.  I guess I could just name it "PreRelease Chatter", or something like that.  After the release it would get locked and a new set of formal boards created.

Pyxis_GeeK

How about mission ideas? Unit Discussion? ( I know there have already been several announced.) Possible strategies?

UpperKEES

Quote from: virgilw on September 07, 2010, 08:12:30 PM
What board(s) should I initially create in the Creeper World 2 category I wonder...?

The current goal of the board would be to let people talk about CW2, or speculate about it.

Depends if you're into suggestions already, or just want to create a place where people can theorize about all possibilities. I guess we'll find out when we see the boards.... ;)

You can also move the General/random discussion to the KnuckleCracker board as I assume it will be shared among the players of all your games.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Karsten75

Please don't give the "random" board such prominence. Most forum sites have a random topics board, but it is right at the bottom of all the forums. Maybe even in its own section.

The sections are handy, since there is an SMF mod that allow one to selectively ignore sections or boards within sections and that way threads in those areas don't make it onto one's radar screen. if the boards get busy, that is the best (only) way to remain sane.

knucracker

I created a "Misc." category and moved random into it.  The "Misc" category will always stay at the bottom (underneath CW, CW2, and CR once I add those).