Weekly Map Scorer Program

Started by mopa42, July 19, 2011, 04:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DethbyIT

Just posting to bump this up for new players.
dbit

mopa42

It's been a while since I checked in on the tournaments. Looks like there's another bug I can fix.
Quote from: Lord_Farin on February 21, 2012, 03:01:00 AM
Quote from: DethbyIT on February 20, 2012, 06:52:27 PM
SC - I'm not sure why, but this one is not registering when I try to do an 'Import' with the Scorer. Just thought you'd like to know.
dbit
It's because 'February' is spelled out instead of using '2' and hyphens. But you can copy the table (from 'The Shining' up to 'Low') and paste on the missions table in the tool; this will work.
Sometimes the closing dates don't get accepted unless they are in the right format. Currently, the program expects MM-DD-YYYY format only (including the dashes). Well, we've had a couple tournaments use the European format DD-MM-YYYY, which my program misparsed, and some where the month name was spelled out to avoid ambiguity, which it didn't allow at all.
I'm going to work on an update for better (more flexible) date parsing. Should have it out in a day or two.

While I'm doing this, anyone have any other features they want added?

Lord_Farin

I have noticed some issues where a player wouldn't get an asterisk on the scores list, despite only completing 3 or 4 maps; mainly when there weren't many contestants (like, when this person was the only one with that much times posted)
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

mopa42

I've updated the program. Highlights of v0.4:

• Correctly parses the tournament closing date if the month is spelled out. Tournaments are now in order!
  • Better conversion from frames to seconds. The program rounds the same way the game rounds.
    (note that internally frames are still used, so rankings will be accurate even with rounding)
  • The high score table now includes the time retrieved (in the forum time).
  • I removed the lib folder, making the download a quarter of the size.
  • The check for completing all maps works even when tournament has few players.

Download it on the first post. (I've removed v0.3, let me know if anyone needs it for anything).

Amram

found two little quirks.

Tournament Results

RankPlayerTotal Score
* Did not finish all maps.

Scores recoded at 2012-03-20 13:04:28 forum time.

Scores recoded

recorded?

the current tourny I started has a map name it doesn't much like.  importing the tourny works ok, except a map name screws up pretty good.

Eureka!  I've got it.

becomes

Eureka!  I've got it.

It seems it doesn't like double spaces, which used to be the the norm when ending one sentence, even if its just a single word.

I'll know if its importing well or not soon as we have a score for that map for it to import.

mopa42

Good catch. I'm working on a fix for those issues.
Edit: looks like it is due to HTML requiring non-breaking spaces ( ) if there is more than one space between words.

xoft

Two spaces being a norm??? Can you provide a source for that? I can't believe that.

Amram

Quote from: xoft on March 21, 2012, 04:33:36 AM
Two spaces being a norm??? Can you provide a source for that? I can't believe that.

Its how I recall being taught in english class.  the space between words written or types was expected, and marked against if not, to be shorter than that which ends your sentences.  Its something i've never really looked back on, but I can't seem to find a good example of it now.  it does seem rare to find a webpage with sentences ended with a double space now that i actually look.

Looking now I can find plenty of examples of people on both sides calling the other wrong, but nothing i would call 'definitive'.

I can however find this:  http://www.typographyforlawyers.com/?page_id=1325
QuoteI know that many peo­ple were taught to put two spaces between sen­tences. I was too. But these days, using two spaces is an obso­lete habit. The prac­tice was passed down from the type­writer era.

Seems im just getting old.........

So, I will meet you in the middle.  I won't retract the 'norm' citation, but I will insert 'used to be the '.  Growing old sucks, you were taught, swear left right and center its correct, and find it now is actually wrong, lol.

I do still think the scorer should behave with it as it's evident it will occasionally encounter it.  I doubt this will be the last time it encounters doubled spaces.

Lord_Farin

Quote from: xoft on March 21, 2012, 04:33:36 AM
It appears to be a (formal) standard in English writing. The language LaTeX for (among others) production of mathematical text has it as a standard. I know this, because the same two spaces is erroneous in Dutch, and has to be manually put into the LaTeX parser by the command \frenchspacing. Now I'm quite sure that LaTeX would not put an erroneous condition into their parser as a standard. Hopefully, this provides some justification. But maybe this discussion needs to be taken to the 'random section'.
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

xoft

Thank you for the explanation. I'm from Czech Republic and I've never seen such a thing even mentioned, so I guess it's some "western" weirdness, same as inches and feet instead of cm ;)

mopa42

I added 0.1 to the version number of the program so now things are 25% better ;)

Highlights of the latest release, v0.5:

• Now imports "Eureka!  I've got it." correctly by converting any   non-breaking spaces into normal spaces.
  • New tournament table export options (thanks to past tournament creators):
    Include Header - add the standard links before the table, like so:
    Spoiler
    INTRO GOES HERE

A few useful links:
    All Tournaments
    Code Map Scoreboard
    Tournament Score Tool

Theme:
    THEME GOES HERE

Map Name:Size:Complexity:
    OneLargeHigh
    TwoMediumMedium
    ThreeMediumHigh
    FourLargeMedium
    FiveSmallHigh
    [close]
    Extended Table - add Gravity, Build, and Experimentals map info columns to the table:
    Spoiler

Map Name:Size:Complexity:Gravity:Build:Exp:
    OneLargeHighDIRECTIONDIRECTIONYES/NO
    TwoMediumMediumDIRECTIONDIRECTIONYES/NO
    ThreeMediumHighDIRECTIONDIRECTIONYES/NO
    FourLargeMediumDIRECTIONDIRECTIONYES/NO
    FiveSmallHighDIRECTIONDIRECTIONYES/NO
    [close]
  • Rule 6 reminders: if you enter maps with repeated size/complexity combinations, the program will highlight the offending maps. It only warns - you can still enter whatever maps you want.

Download the program on the first post. (I've removed v0.4, let me know if anyone needs it for anything).

Amram

Quote from: mopa42 on March 22, 2012, 02:18:21 PM
I added 0.1 to the version number of the program so now things are 25% better ;)
Rule 6 reminders: if you enter maps with repeated size/complexity combinations, the program will highlight the offending maps. It only warns - you can still enter whatever maps you want.

perfect, a safety net to prevent me from being retarded again, lol.

Helper

@mopa42 -
Running Tournament Scorer V.5 on Windows 7, SP1.

Attempting to Import current game and getting Java warning:
"Something went wrong!"
"java.lang.NullPointerException"

MS released some patches/updates last night and I'm not sure if that is the cause.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thank you.

J

Fill in the table yourself (map names, height, complexity, just do it yourself and you don't need to import tables)

thepenguin

Running Tournament Scorer V.5 on Windows XP, SP3.
I seem to get NullPointerexception whenever I try to connect to the internet

not before, but now it seems to happen with v3 and v2 as well
We have become the creeper...