Custom Map: Hard Art 1: Horsemen

Started by AutoPost, July 21, 2010, 03:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowmaker (JM)

Quote from: fraterpotens on July 25, 2010, 02:01:23 AM
Quote from: snowmaker (JM) on July 24, 2010, 08:09:47 PM
Try a mortar

Where would you suggest?
a morter on the horses neck gets overrun, even paired with blasters.
I tried morters under the horses front legs and on the rider, but after 6 minutes the flow down the neck always gets me.

I put it under the front horses legs (usually only one shot) to releave the pressure and then start transferring it the left horseman to keep the flow down.  The pic is of the bottom left horsemen.

UpperKEES

Minor differences can have an important effect. When you for instance look at the bottom right emitter on Snowmaker's picture:

When you would switch the blaster and collector to the left of it, the blaster would get damaged slowly and finally get killed (like happened to me). Now the creeper just doesn't reach the collector (while it uses the same 9 blocks of space). This means the actual dimensions of the structure (the displayed icon/sprite) are used to calculate whether a unit gets damaged or not.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

snowmaker (JM)

UpperKEES, It really is interesting when looking at a still pic that you "see" things differently. Which ultimately saves time. Thanks for your comments  :)

typo..

UpperKEES

Yeah, that's why I don't post a screenshot too often, because it often reveals much more than just the 1 or 2 points I wanted to make clear. ;) Always fun to compare different approaches though (or to see that someone else found exactly the same solution as I did after learning from making the same mistakes), so also thanks to you for your contributions. :)

fraterpotens

Whew finished it.

thanks all for the help, and especially to fisherck.
Turned out my key error was placing the blaster i was using to cap the horse's head too far back (several spaces away)
that meant that when it was not shooting to cap the emitter, it was firing in various directions.
putting it practically on top of the emitter (following fisherck's template) kept the blaster driving down the creeper level around the emitter which turns out to be crucial when the frequency steps up at 9 min and 12 min.  once I made that change the rest of the map was hard but not too tricky.

what a map, I found I liked the increasing blaster intensity on this map, because it happened pretty quick.  I disliked it on "the artist" because it is hard to figure out what you are doing wrong when each failed try takes 30 min.

UpperKEES

Quote from: fraterpotens on July 25, 2010, 08:36:12 PM
Whew finished it.

:)

Turned out my key error was placing the blaster i was using to cap the horse's head too far back (several spaces away)
that meant that when it was not shooting to cap the emitter, it was firing in various directions.
putting it practically on top of the emitter (following fisherck's template) kept the blaster driving down the creeper level around the emitter which turns out to be crucial when the frequency steps up at 9 min and 12 min.  once I made that change the rest of the map was hard but not too tricky.

Yep, distracted blasters don't cap very well. Putting the blaster too close however might lead to damaging it, especially after the frequency increases.

what a map, I found I liked the increasing blaster intensity on this map, because it happened pretty quick.  I disliked it on "the artist" because it is hard to figure out what you are doing wrong when each failed try takes 30 min.

The remake of The Artist (HA-9: Firebirds) will have even sooner increases, but I've decided to notify the players about the exact timings. When you keep the 'distracted blasters' in mind you shouldn't have a problem finishing that one as well.

Fisherck

Whew finished it.

putting it practically on top of the emitter (following fisherck's template) kept the blaster driving down the creeper level around the emitter which turns out to be crucial when the frequency steps up at 9 min and 12 min.  once I made that change the rest of the map was hard but not too tricky.

what a map, I found I liked the increasing blaster intensity on this map, because it happened pretty quick.  I disliked it on "the artist" because it is hard to figure out what you are doing wrong when each failed try takes 30 min.

Thanks! It is nice to know I helped a fellow Creeper World player. ;D
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

snowmaker (JM)

I tried the map and again... I guess I got better  ;D

UpperKEES

Heheh, you certainly did!  8)

I already noticed your fast time a couple of days ago.... Maybe when I have a week with nothing to do (which I can't imagine at the moment), I'll try to get all those #1 spots back. It's impossible to keep up with you guys; everybody is getting better and better!

snowmaker (JM)

I knew I could do better after my last score of 24 min....  ;)

UpperKEES

OMG!  :o

Very nice! I guess you changed your strategy drastically?

Fisherck

Wow.... That is all I can say. It impresses me as much as that guy that lasted for 18 minutes in Nice job 2 the athlete. 8)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

snowmaker (JM)

It was a complete change of strategy, which was a result of your last map.

UpperKEES

Quote from: snowmaker (JM) on December 09, 2010, 12:20:10 AM

Oh? A result of mechanics in Quagmire Quest 2?

I'll keep that in mind when replaying.... Thanks for the hint! :)

snowmaker (JM)

Quote from: UpperKEES on December 09, 2010, 10:26:36 AM
Quote from: snowmaker (JM) on December 09, 2010, 12:20:10 AM

Oh? A result of mechanics in Quagmire Quest 2?

I'll keep that in mind when replaying.... Thanks for the hint! :)

It was really a combination of your maps.... but it was how I handled the increasing emitter intensity... that's the real hint.