Custom Map: Nice Job 25: The Developer

Started by AutoPost, July 11, 2010, 05:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

Quote from: MuadDib on July 18, 2010, 02:12:40 PM
Wow ! I just finished the map, a grueling one and a half hour of tension. My laptop started lagging heavily when attacking phase 3. I also made a few important mistakes during phase 6 - was getting tired :) - and needed 3 tries to beat this phase.

Yep, sector 3 is probably the hardest after phase 1, because you still lack enough space, which should be different after sector 4.

Quote from: MuadDib on July 18, 2010, 02:12:40 PM
This is really a terrific map ! Pretty hard and very different.
Phase 1 is indeed the most difficult. I finally got it when I understood there was no real time pressure overall and that the first sector needed to be held strongly before moving forward. Specializing the drone to protect the pods was an important hint : you have to use blasters only to move forward sector to sector.

Thanks for this map :)

Thank you as well. I hope you understand why I didn't want to give too many clues at once, because it is so much more satisfying to figure it out yourself.

Quote from: snowmaker (JM) on July 18, 2010, 10:05:31 PM
UpperKEES has given quite a few subtle and direct hints to help those who are struggling... You only have one or maybe two seconds of leeway to save OC, so the timing is very tight.

He said
"Well, you do need [blasters] soon. I think I create my second blaster after my third collector."

It was very satisfying to figure this out without the hints. I also did not hover over any of the walls. Good luck ;D

I think I've indeed given enough hints for everyone to be able to finish this map, even for less experienced players. They will just take a bit longer....
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

MuadDib

Well I tried playing the map on a much faster computer, but I cant finish it. No lag up until attacking phase 5, but when this phase is done I cant control anything anymore, not even pause. The game continues to play but I have no more access. One of the 4 CPUs is running at max speed while the 3 others watch him without breaking a sweat.

I thought at first that was because I had been playing the map now and then over a day, and perhaps there was a memory leak : the game was using close to 300Mo. But playing it at once had the same results, and same memory consumption.

UpperKEES

This sounds like the Adobe AIR problem again. Did you update AIR recently by any chance? If so, see here. You should use version 1.5.3., because version 2.0.2 will slow down you computer a lot. In the mentioned topic you'll find a link to downgrade back to version 1.5.3.

thepenguin

WOW!!

I couldn't even beat the first stage

just adding a few files here.
We have become the creeper...

thepenguin

Quote from: MuadDib on July 20, 2010, 06:48:20 AM
Well I tried playing the map on a much faster computer, but I cant finish it. No lag up until attacking phase 5, but when this phase is done I cant control anything anymore, not even pause. The game continues to play but I have no more access. One of the 4 CPUs is running at max speed while the 3 others watch him without breaking a sweat.

I thought at first that was because I had been playing the map now and then over a day, and perhaps there was a memory leak : the game was using close to 300Mo. But playing it at once had the same results, and same memory consumption.

sounds like you should set it to run on all cpus

UpperKEES

Quote from: thepenguin on August 06, 2010, 05:56:22 PM
WOW!!

I couldn't even beat the first stage

If you read all comments you'll get enough tips to finish the first stage.

Quote from: thepenguin on August 06, 2010, 05:58:40 PM
sounds like you should set it to run on all cpus

Your operating system determines the load on each CPU. I'm sure the delays had to do with the version of Adobe AIR (see above).

thepenguin

Quote from: UpperKEES on August 10, 2010, 06:57:53 AM
Your operating system determines the load on each CPU. I'm sure the delays had to do with the version of Adobe AIR (see above).

actually, no

on winxp you can change which cpus it uses in task manager

UpperKEES

Quote from: thepenguin on August 10, 2010, 11:55:06 AM
actually, no

on winxp you can change which cpus it uses in task manager

Yeah, same for Vista, but the default will be to use all, just like the priority of a user process will be set to 'normal' by default. Some processes can be split into separate CPU tasks and some can't, so I would leave that up to the operating system and not tamper with it.

Edit:

Quote from: UpperKEES on July 20, 2010, 10:14:35 AM
This sounds like the Adobe AIR problem again. Did you update AIR recently by any chance? If so, see here. You should use version 1.5.3., because version 2.0.2 will slow down you computer a lot. In the mentioned topic you'll find a link to downgrade back to version 1.5.3.

The new update of Adobe AIR is available now and should resolve all lag problems, so I recommend anyone to update to this version (2.0.3), see here.

DarthVader12

UpperKEES

DethbyIT

Just starting this one and I think you saved (one of) the best for last.
I keep losing the pods, but I think that is just a problem with 'where' I am targeting it to hit.

I'll keep playing with it and hope I don't need any more hints.

BTW - playing with WIN7-32bit, i5, 4GB RAM, newest Air and NO lag so far.

Good stuff!

UpperKEES

Ah, so you managed to get the drone; that's important.

Spoiler
I'd aim for the center and don't wait too long with your next bombing run.
[close]

This is indeed one of the harder maps, but you've proven over the past 2 weeks that you're ready for it!

DethbyIT

Tougher than I thought.
Cleared the first one OK - drone running/bombing 5th one.
Started clearing the second, when the wall collapses from 6 to 1, and it's game over.

Tried using the drone on both 5 and 6, but then the pods die.

Pondering this one.
:)

UpperKEES

I think you can find the solution to this when you read back previous comments.

I hope you don't mind that I leave you thinking about this a little more for now....

DethbyIT

Quote from: UpperKEES on September 11, 2010, 06:16:46 PM
I hope you don't mind that I leave you thinking about this a little more for now....

I agree - and I find that taking a break and coming back to a tough one can make a good difference.