Explosion sounds triggered by scripts

Started by UpperKEES, February 09, 2013, 08:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

I know there probably will be the option to play a brief (3 sec) sound from a CRPL-script, but this post is about the explosion sound played when an object gets destroyed.

I loved playing MadMag's Bunker map yesterday, but the only thing that really annoyed me was the explosion sound when each turret bullet hit one of my units. Not the sound itself, but the fact that it's exactly the same sound as when one of my own units dies.

After 15 minutes I finally got used to it and stopped looking around where I lost a unit. So when the Digitalis destroyed a couple of pulse cannons and beams, I didn't even pay attention until I had lost a few more.

I would like to ask if it's possible to make the explosion sound of a destroyed CRPL-object at least a little different from the sound of a destroyed player unit. I know there's another value for this parameter, but obviously many map makers will not be able to resist the use of the loudest noise they can find.

This may seem like a very minor issue, but when you play larger maps that don't fit on your screen, you have to be able to trust on all your senses.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

knucracker

I just spent the last hour working on the first half of custom sound support. 

Aside from that I'll need a CRPL parameter to say to mute an explosion, and of course  a command to play a custom sound.

UpperKEES

That would be great, but what I actually meant with the above, is that maybe allowing Explosion Mode = 2 for scripting isn't a good idea. Especially if custom sounds are available anyway.

knucracker

Sometimes you might want a custom unit that explodes just like a player unit (since it might be acting like a friendly unit).  So you want both that graphic animation and that sound.  Other times, you might want to pick that explosion graphic but uses a different sound. 

So, I may just add a mode "3" that will make the explosion animation but not play that sound. A script could choose to play another sound instead via a separate
call.

The alternate is what you are kind of suggesting.  Make unit destruction not create any explosion graphic or sound (everything is mode 0 by default).  If the script wants an explosion graphic or sound, it would have to make them (and I would make this relatively easy).

As for the sounds, my leaning right now is to just provide a range of built in sounds (several explosions, plus a few other things).  If I build in 15 sounds and give them names then let people play them at different pitches or rates (or just the default values), that might ultimately be better than making people find and incorporate their own sounds.  Same for some animated explosions.

UpperKEES

Quote from: virgilw on February 09, 2013, 11:37:20 PM
Sometimes you might want a custom unit that explodes just like a player unit (since it might be acting like a friendly unit).

Yes, in that case you would indeed want the regular explosion.

As for the sounds, my leaning right now is to just provide a range of built in sounds (several explosions, plus a few other things).  If I build in 15 sounds and give them names then let people play them at different pitches or rates (or just the default values), that might ultimately be better than making people find and incorporate their own sounds.  Same for some animated explosions.

Yeah, I can see the advantages of that. Not only in file size, but also in map modding for inappropriate 'sound bites'. In that case please also include a few movement sounds, like a tank, a train, or a very fast space ship.

Grauniad

You could always refer them to freesound.org....   8)
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

knucracker

Actually.... if anyone finds any sounds there they they really like, post the link and I will include it.  I probably have the patience for 30 or so sounds, so I have room to pick some up above and beyond my library.

I could also support the importing if custom sounds.... I've just been reluctant to do that for a spectrum of reasons.

UpperKEES

Any particular format? And up to max. 3 seconds I guess?

knucracker

Any format... though wav is preferred as it saves me time.
Any reasonable length is fine.  Since they are supposed to be sound effects, they should be on the short side like 0.1 to 5 seconds or so.