What's up with downloads, but no scores?

Started by cquante, September 08, 2010, 05:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cquante

I just uploaded a map on the 5th.  It already has 115 downloads (Yea!!), but only 8 scores (Boo!).  It does have an overall rating of 4.5 from two people.  As a maker of custom maps, I don't know what to make of this?  Why is the map popular when there has been discussion about it?  Is it word-of-mouth?  Is the reason there are only eight scores because I made it too hard, or is it so easy that people don't really want to bother posting their score? These are the things that make me go hummmmm......  Any insight would be appreciated.  I like making maps, and keep trying to make them better.

Thanks
Charlie

Michionlion

i think its because lots of people download them, but then go somewhere where there isn't internet.   something like that....
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

UpperKEES

It could be that many people prefer to play the daily Chronom map before they have a look at the custom maps. Maybe they've downloaded it because they like the looks and know you tend to create quality maps, but haven't had the time yet to play it. I know I have postponed playing and releasing custom maps for 2 weeks just to play around with the Chronom maps as these draw a lot of attention over the past weeks and are a nice competitive playground. I also noticed less scores for my last few custom maps; another reason to take a little break from it.

I would just keep doing what you're doing, because map making itself is a lot of fun by itself, even if nobody plays them. :) I don't think it has anything to do with the quality of yours maps; the community has become a bit smaller I guess, but this may change again when CW2 gets released.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Michionlion

it will deffinitly change when cw2 comes out.

and i would say that too... just keep doing what your're doing.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

cquante

Thanks for the feedback.  I love making maps, and really do it more for me than anyone else.

L'ythelle

If you look at a cross section of all the custom maps, you will observe that most of them have a much larger number of downloads than scores.

Besides the reasons given above, there are also many new, or less skilled players who just can't finish the maps. Some people are so competitive that if they don't get scores among the highest posted, will not post a score at all. And some players won't post a score if it is rediculously low. Also, many players just don't think of themselves as part of the community, and therefore don't attach any importance to posting a score.

I, personally, never gave a thought to making a comment on a map until Kees mentioned that he likes it when people leave comments. But I still don't leave a comment unless I think I have something to say that hasn't been said already.

Perhaps all of us should be a little more diligent about scores and comments.

UpperKEES

Yeah, I believe it really stimulates map makers when they see their maps are getting played or when they read something nice about it. About almost every map there's something nice to say (even if you didn't like it in general). In my experience people are willing to take some advise about improvements when they also hear something about the positive sides. It's too easy to just complain about something you didn't appreciate like some players often do. I know some frustrated map makers left because of this and that's a shame. No need to be harsh in this friendly community! :)

Bottom line: leave more comments and scores and you'll receive more and better maps. Everybody happy! 8)

thepenguin

I always like it when i see scores and comments on my maps, It lets me know that people really like what I am doing
We have become the creeper...

Pyxis_GeeK

I have to agree. I like to see lots of downloads. But if there are no comments/scores to back up the downloads it makes me think something is wrong with the map.... I cant fix it if I dont know its broken :D

UpperKEES

Sometimes I wonder if a search bot/webcrawler follows a download link this counts as a download. I follow my maps with Roccologic's very useful Map Info Viewer and every few days almost all of my maps get downloaded once. Of course this can also be someone who likes them and downloads the complete series, but I guess I'll never know....