Vote for your own map?

Started by Karsten75, July 30, 2010, 01:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

I'm always suspicious of who voted for a map when I see 1 score (the author) and then one 5/5 rating for the map.  I always wonder if the author chose to rate their own map and why?

AFAICS, map rating is to get feedback from *other* people on how they perceive one's maps. Self-voting distorts that feedback and since no-one can retrieve maps based on ratings, it seems pretty pointless to me. Or at lesat marginally more pointless than me rating other people's maps.

Rarely do I find it even worthwhile to rate maps from others that I've played.

mthw2vc

Eh, I do rate my own maps, but never as a 5* (Unless it's really good), just as a hint to the first players about how good it is.

UpperKEES

Sure I rate my own maps with 5 stars. I wouldn't release them until I'm that satisfied. With hindsight I might have given a few maps a star less, but it's easy talking afterwards.

Virgil even recommends everyone doing so, see here.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Karsten75

Quote from: UpperKEES on July 30, 2010, 01:39:27 PM
Sure I rate my own maps with 5 stars. I wouldn't release them until I'm that satisfied. With hindsight I might have given a few maps a star less, but it's easy talking afterwards.

Virgil even recommends everyone doing so, see here.

That's not a recommendation, that's irony.  :)

UpperKEES

And reality. If you don't even like your maps, why would someone else?
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Fisherck

My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

SPIFFEN

I dont rate my own maps , if i have done so , it has been done by accident =P

But i have say in another thread that the player should rate the map after finnishing it ,
and be abel to change the rate after an replay of the map .
Then the rating might be more accurate for the map .
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

Tartarus Guard

I submitted my first map today and was faced with that consideration.  I decided not to rate the map.  I'm really more curious to see how the map is rated over time by other people and my rating would just distort that.

Ebon Heart

I sometimes rate my own maps, but always honestly... I even gave one of my own maps a 1/5 before, because I got it up at 3 am one night and realized the next day it absolutely sucked.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!