Hydroelectric power/relief gates- a CW2 suggestion

Started by Twi, June 10, 2010, 07:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twi

It occurs to me that since the Creeper is a fluid, one could make a Creeper-proof hydroelectric power station, powered by the flow of Creeper. I don't think this will work for CW, but it's far more likely to work for CW2.

So the idea is, there are these large turbine things, about the size of Odin City at the smallest, in fixed locations on the map. These things generate lots of spaghetti energy, but first, you have to repair them and get the right amount of Creeper flowing through them. A faster Creeper flow rate (more units per time) means more energy, but too much Creeper will start to damage them. They have a health bar like military buildings. The amount of Creeper they can safely handle will vary depending on the size. Bigger generators will need more Creeper to function at all. And you've got to pump the Creeper through in the right direction. So you place your blockages and paths in the right places to direct the flow of a Creeper emitter to power the turbine.  The requirements of the turbine should probably be indicated when you click on it.

A somewhat different idea is to connect the turbine to a generator, so you have to do more stuff and build one or the other.

Now you're probably wondering, well, what happens if the Creeper flow rate suddenly increases or turns out to be higher than you built the tunnel for? That's where the relief gate idea comes in. SO you place two points for the endpoints of the gate, and then you set an inequality for its function. It's basically indestructible, but quite expensive and takes a while to build, so it's not effective for the front lines. The game scans an area in front of the gate (either touching it on one side, touching it on both sides, or across an area defined when you make it) to see how much Creeper there is. If there's more than X Creeper, the gate opens, allowing some of it to go down the drain and be taken care of by your weapons. This could also work with different inequalities, ie, a less than inequality if you just want to stop extra Creeper.

Honestly, this seems a little complex, but interesting. Could be useful as a bonus objective. Perhaps it could be powered with 'friendly Creeper'.

Speaking of friendly creeper,  you'd need some sort of 'pump' to keep recycling the same amount of friendly Creeper without using minerals (what I'll call the second resource). Perpetual motion machine!
Currently watching: ARIA, Dog Days, and other unlikely things.
And some likely things, too!

Blaze

the only thing immune to creeper are totems and the creeper is molded after heat.

Other then that nice thinking.

Twi

I've been reading the CW2 blog, it's supposed to be more fluid-like in CW2 (you should read it too) and I didn't say it was immune to Creeper. Only Creeper-resistant. Too much Creeper at once will damage it.

SPIFFEN

PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

Twi

Blaze

I did read it, I just don't understand some of it.

Twi

....uh, dude, that's pretty different, and that's not even the main suggestion. >_>

So yeah, read.