Custom Map: --- Reinforcing Outpost Zulu 9 ---

Started by AutoPost, November 19, 2010, 11:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: --- Reinforcing Outpost Zulu 9 ---

Author: Kharnellius

Desc:
Tip: Pause immediately and read the intro carefully. Every second counts.

This is my first map. I have tested it extensively and have purposely made it very difficult. Don't expect to beat it on your first try. I didn't.

Now do your best to reinforce and rescue our forces at Outpost Zulu 9!

Karsten75

Early on, this is a fun but challenging map. After approximately 20 minutes, this map will only be fun for those players who like to beat off 100-spore waves ever 20 seconds.

I could post a better time if I wanted to play this map again. Building  76 blasters and 2 mortars took some time. :P But I'm happy that there is no challenge left here.

Blaze

If it weren't for the spores K75 talked about, I'd give it a try.
I won't be able to beat in in under 20 minutes.

Kharnellius

Won't know until you try. ;)  They really aren't that bad as long as you take warnings seriously.  This map is definitely made to be hard.

I started making it mostly because I felt the final battle was too easy in CW and wanted to make something that really made you work for it.

I wasn't really planning on releasing it, it was mostly for me.  I figured some people may like a challenge too, so in the end, I decided to release it to the masses.

Good luck, and have fun!

burguertime

Quote from: Kharnellius on November 19, 2010, 05:56:02 PM
Won't know until you try. ;)  They really aren't that bad as long as you take warnings seriously.  This map is definitely made to be hard.
Massive doomsday spore waves is not the way to go =/

I started making it mostly because I felt the final battle was too easy in CW and wanted to make something that really made you work for it.

Thor is such a game breaker, ain't him.

I wasn't really planning on releasing it, it was mostly for me.  I figured some people may like a challenge too, so in the end, I decided to release it to the masses.

All in all, glad you did. Sharing the maps is always a good thing to do.
Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.

Kharnellius

In my defense, they build up.  Each is progressively a little worse.  I don't believe in cheap, 'GOTCHA' kills.  I am thinking about updating the map to add an artifact with the warning that if you can't complete the mission in less than 30 minutes, we are doomed.

Thanks for your post. :)  About the only one that wasn't outright hostile, lol.  I appreciate all feedback.

Hopefully, I will find some time to just make a few fun maps.

Blaze

Maybe make a V.2 and just increase emitter strength without increasing spore numbers.
I'd play that one for sure, I love the big battles.

UpperKEES

You can't say you haven't been warned.... ;)

Quote from: Kharnellius on November 19, 2010, 10:54:41 PM

Yeah, try that and let's hope people won't remember this one when picking a map to play.

Don't worry too much though; I think most map makers have released at least one map that didn't turn out exactly as expected/intended. :)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Kharnellius

Quote from: UpperKEES on November 20, 2010, 12:52:37 AM
You can't say you haven't been warned.... ;)

Quote from: Kharnellius on November 19, 2010, 10:54:41 PM

Yeah, try that and let's hope people won't remember this one when picking a map to play.

Don't worry too much though; I think most map makers have released at least one map that didn't turn out exactly as expected/intended. :)
You've been abundantly clear. 

Turned out just how I wanted, actually.  I understand if it is not everyone's cup of tea.

snowmaker (JM)

I've played maps like this where you use the blasters to take care of the spores. If a player is fast enough, they don't have to worry about the massive waves  ;) Keep your maps coming.

Kharnellius

Thanks man.  I have no idea what my next will be.  Life keeps getting in the way, and I am too anal to make maps quickly, lol.

fraterpotens

I quite enjoyed this map, I like the "soft" doomsday so if you are very close you might squeek through after the first wave of spores.
As others have said above though if a map has big changes later in the map, it is nice to know what they are.

the first artifact basically just says the spores arrive at min 19, so when I got a slower start in my first try I tried to hunker down and get ready for the spores.  a mistake obviously, it would have been good to have known that up front.  I like the idea of saying up front that things get really bad in min 19, and you will be dead by 30.

Kharnellius

That would work.  I should be able to work that in easily.

Kharnellius

Update:

Ok, so I originally created this map on laptop that turns out was much slower than I realized.  I just picked up a new laptop that runs CW1 MUCH faster and now I realize the difficulty people may have had with this map. 

When I was play-testing on my old laptop the game moved much slower and made completing before the 19 minute mark much easier.

I am thinking I will remake this map in CW3 when it comes out.  The plus side is that the map will play MUCH more consistently on all machines with the new engine Virgil is using.