Emitters that turn off after an interval

Started by Karsten75, March 27, 2010, 05:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

I was thinking (based on what someone wrote somewhere) that it might add an interesting twist to map making if emitters can be set to turn off after a period of time.  Currently emitters can be set with a delayed start, but once the emitter is active, there is no easy way to turn it off. It could add an interesting wrinke if one could simply outwait some emitters, no?

Blaze

In all technicality you can. Just set an emitter at 0 intensity on top of an emitter and delay it's start and the 0 one will eat it all up like a hole in the ground. But after a while i think it'll eat it all...

kwinse

One could do this without 0 strength emitters. Just set a bunch of emitters with really long interval, and time them such that you mimic 1 emitter that turns itself off after a bit.

Not the most optimal, and a pain in the ass to make, but it can be done. :P

Blaze

Quote from: kwinse on March 28, 2010, 01:35:45 AM
One could do this without 0 strength emitters. Just set a bunch of emitters with really long interval, and time them such that you mimic 1 emitter that turns itself off after a bit.

Have you tested this? I don't understand how that would work.

mthw2vc

Quote from: kwinse on March 28, 2010, 01:35:45 AM

The problem with this method is that when the emitter gets turned off, it starts eating the creeper it was previously emitting. You can get it working by having a really long interval [Read: 10 000 interval] emitter for each time the emitter you want to turn off fires, but that is unbelievably tedious and can cause lag.

Capn Trey

I understand the design need for this but what would be the In-Game rational for a creeper that just shut down. The whole creeper mythos is built around never stopping!

Karsten75

Quote from: Capn Trey on April 06, 2010, 12:35:24 PM
I understand the design need for this but what would be the In-Game rational for a creeper that just shut down. The whole creeper mythos is built around never stopping!

One thing is perhaps that you have to move around on the map. At one time some emitters flood an area, but then they turn off and others start, so you have to move and fight on a different front. New emitters can be strong, forcing you to relocate to an area that you have just cleared of creeper.

Daos

It is up to the editor to create a mythos or use the existing one. In case of story line, you could give the fluid you know as creeper a completely different meaning. Like a lava flow of a vulcano, or something. Sometimes a vulcano cooled down and breakes through another spot... there are many ways, if you are creative enough.

Ranakastrasz

Or you could make an area that would not be accesible for 10 minutes, like where the totems are, or upgrades, or ...

UpperKEES

My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Ranakastrasz

However, You are able to transfer over walls, you can mortar the creeper over the wall, The wall will not decay at that rate exactly.

UpperKEES

Ehm, I'm not sure which idea you mean....

If you don't want a walled area to be accessible, just don't leave enough space inside to build/move something. But I have to say that I hate maps that make me wait for nothing. It will reduce all the time I gained for a high score, as everybody is able to catch up. The only thing I can do while waiting is build more energy, weapons and speed nodes, so I can finish the last part as quick as possible. No fun.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview