Suggestions for CW-next

Started by Grauniad, January 04, 2012, 04:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4xC

That is not what I meant, Lurkily. I meant that few to no keys should have multiple functions in one button (Numbers being used to select each unit to build and the same number yielding a different unit if in another tab). And FPS does not have the same game genre as the CW3 genre. It sounds like a one-man SWAT Team Unit, first-person game whereas CW is a RTS series where you are always behind the scenes and calling the shots from a third-person perspective.

Besides, the keys you brought up are alphabetized and none of them have more than one function. In CW2, they are not alphabetically organized and depending on, for instance, the tab you were in for CW2, one hotkey does something COMPLETELY different. that is why I would like to see the units of CW3 alphabetized in some way or something. I just really do not want any key to do more than one thing and based upon what you said all along, you would not like that either.

I did not mean "bunched up" or "thinly" in a sense that different hotkeys should be spread out on the keyboard. I meant that they would probably be better organized if each key has fewer functions each and if they are alphabetically ordered.
C,C,C,C

lurkily

All you really need is ten hotkeys for the two rows of units, and another pair to tab through the unit menus, and the four D's. (Destroy, disable, disarm.)  Then showing/hiding digitalis growth area will probably be important, too.  To me, those are the important functions.  

Map scroll/zoom is usually much easier for me to control via mouse, assuming that good map control is present.  (Zooming on the mouse pointer is my favorite method of controlling map scroll, but bump scrolling and grab-dragging are also preferable to keyboard control, for me.)

Hopefully, these keys should all be in reach of the left-hand home row, so you don't have to actually look at the keyboard to use them.

The reason starcraft has so many hotkeys all over the place is probably due to its use in professional tournaments - it's long been known as a tournampent game where APM is direly crucial, so it's important for every possible action to be hotkeyed.  That means simpler, intuitive hotkey systems probably aren't comprehensive enough for their needs.

Quote from: 4xC on November 15, 2012, 05:28:32 PM
That is not what I meant, Lurkily. I meant that few to no keys should have multiple functions in one button (Numbers being used to select each unit to build and the same number yielding a different unit if in another tab).
I'm not sure it's possible to do this.  We've got three CN's to select, one titan, seven noncombat structures, and seven combat structures revealed to date.  And we know there are probably going to be more that we haven't seen.  That's nearly twenty keys.  I'd rather switch tabs and have hotkeys mean something else, and be clearer in their meaning, than to have to train myself to remember more than seventeen keys just for structures.  In the latter case, I would probably only ever use a couple of those hotkeys - and I typically use hotkeys rather heavily.

QuoteAnd FPS does not have the same game genre as the CW3 genre.
Genre is irrelevant.  It's an example of what hotkeys are for.  Hotkeys are for instant, precise response.  If they don't provide you with that, they aren't fulfilling their purpose - you might as well stick with the gui, and require the player to pause if they want to respond to a crisis quickly.

I'm not sure what you mean by multi-function keys.  I agree that CTRL-and SHIFT- modifiers shouldn't be required, if at all possible.

QuoteBesides, the keys you brought up are alphabetized
What?

4xC

When I said they were alphabetized, I meant they were alphabetically organized.

So maybe hotkeys with multiple function each do have some perks if the ideals of each function is closely related to each other. If each multi-purpose hotkey is for something organized and similar-acting like those unit numbers for what to build, I guess it works. When I try to build something with a hotkey, I think of a hotkey symbol that makes me think about it closely and CW1 made it harder to do that by having numbers keep going for every category of unit and weapon (6,7,8,9 etc.). Since CW2 had similar number functions, I did not imagine how helpful the tab change was for use of number hotkeys until now.

And I want the hotkeys to be clear in meaning to by the way. And the only time I ever see CTRL modifier work out is when making a group or (if the units were in grouped portraits like in the whole Starcraft series) de-selecting induvidual units.

P.S. multi-function keys are keys that do more than one thing.
C,C,C,C

lurkily

Quote from: 4xC on November 16, 2012, 02:42:25 PM
When I said they were alphabetized, I meant they were alphabetically organized.
But . . . they're not.  The FPS keys are organized based on what's under the left-hand home row.  Reload and flashlight, by happy coincidence, can be both in the home row AND indicated by the first initial of the function, but most of the rest are chosen by convenience to the home row alone.

I didn't like CW2's hotkeys much either.  Ideally, the buttons should be laid out the same way the build icons in the menu are, and the higher numbers got way too far from the home row.  If you can't reach a hotkey from the home row, you have to look at the keyboard, and to my thinking, once you do that, you may as well just go click things.

I still agree with you on modifier keys.

Ronini

Will there be an overlay that shows possible cn locations?

lurkily

Not sure what you mean.  It was my impression that they were freely positioned, like odin city.  So, basically, anyplace there's room for one.

Are you asking for an overlay to clearly show where there's enough room to set down?

Ronini

Yes. If you select a cn to land, there should be an overlay that shows places the cn would fit. I was mainly thinking about large maps, where the map creator wants to limit the options for starting places.

lurkily

Interesting . . . I'll think about how that could fit into the UI . . . maybe a green overlay whenever you select a unit, to show the places you can set it down.

ShadowDragon7015

Would it be possible to have more space to type your name when you submit a score for beating a map because when i type my name in there is not enough space to fit the whole thing in.
Hiding the golden creeper for years to come.

tornado

hey i was wondering if i could get close up images of the technology i could point out minor flaws in it
Now CEO of Particular Endeavors. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=23752.new#new
We apologize for all inconveniences that we caused.
Quotefirst, you have to imagine a very big box, fitting inside a very samll box.
then, you have to build one

J

Quote from: tornado on December 16, 2012, 12:06:56 PM
hey i was wondering if i could get close up images of the technology i could point out minor flaws in it
If you mean graphics, you could thrust the one who makes the graphics.
If you mean the tech tree, nothing has been published about that yet.

Ronini

I'd like to have color coding for the CRPL scripts. so that commands (i.e. actions the crpl will perform, e.g. move, setcreeper, etc.), arguments and script internal functions (if, do, etc.) each get a different color.

Kingo

I was thinking about this today thanks to the arrival of CPRL towers...
towers that weigh multiple factors about the world (amount of creeper, direction it is coming in, how soon creeper will hit the shores, etc) as well as about the user's infrastructure (say, he has a few collectors needing to be built, along with some weapons).
The bot discriminates between how soon the creeper arrives and whether it is viable to focus resources on weapons or infrastructure.
Another would be to channel packet flow (say, you have a group of blasters holding position, and you want to have the bots putting weapons ahead of infrastructure). It basically takes EVERY packet (maybe prioritizes a single command node or something, or maybe takes a quarter of packets made) and the tower makes them into whatever packet is needed (construction, ammo, totem, etc.) and channels them directly to what is most important.
Once CW3 goes up and I buy it i'll try scripting a few bots for interesting effects :D It spiked my interest in CW3 dramatically.

4xC

About the tech tree: what is the deal with a CW3 tech tree? If there is one of those, what order do the current units have to be built in in order to make other kinds. Or by tech tree, does it refer to how units are only usable in some levels and unlocked later on through the campaign?
C,C,C,C

Chawe800

Quote from: 4xC on December 22, 2012, 04:46:01 PM
About the tech tree: what is the deal with a CW3 tech tree? If there is one of those, what order do the current units have to be built in in order to make other kinds. Or by tech tree, does it refer to how units are only usable in some levels and unlocked later on through the campaign?
The tech tree is a concept swirling around the forums on the potential of adding a tech tree into the game. It has been considered for single missions and the entire campaign. Currently Virgil has no information announced on whether or not any tech tree could be implemented.

EDIT: See the Upgrade System Ideas post.
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell