Suggestions for CW-next

Started by Grauniad, January 04, 2012, 04:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrickyDragon

Does anyone pay attention to me?   I suggested only showing  selected unsits ranges ages ago :<
This is Life,  Life happens.

4xC

It's hard to tackle two subtopics at the same time. Besides, what you suggest does not seem too different from what we already had for the past 2 games. Still plausible though.
C,C,C,C

Grauniad

Quote from: TrickyDragon on November 09, 2012, 11:02:01 AM
Does anyone pay attention to me?   I suggested only showing  selected unsits ranges ages ago :<
I admit I don't always read all threads with the same amount of attention. Sometimes the noise levels are just overwhelming.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

4xC

C,C,C,C

Ronini

Quote from: TrickyDragon on November 09, 2012, 11:02:01 AM
Unfortunately I haven't managed to read all posts that have been submitted before I joined these forums. If I keep pointing out stuff someone else had posted a while back, think of it as praise for your ideas :)

Quote from: 4xC on November 09, 2012, 11:06:57 AM
It's hard to tackle two subtopics at the same time. Besides, what you suggest does not seem too different from what we already had for the past 2 games. Still plausible though.
The difference to the past 2 games being, that I wish for LOF being visible for a group/all units at once, not one at a time. The three step sequence I proposed earlier should be both clear enough and simple enough for most situations.

lurkily

So, let's summarize.  In selecting units, all their ranges are visible. 

1: If one unit has access or doesn't have access, translucent red or white, as now.
2: If two or more units have a firing line, or if two or more units have blocked fire, a bolder white or red, that does not get bolder with many overlapping ranges.
3: If any unit has line-of-fire on a cell, the indicators that units do not have line-of fire are not shown.

Honestly, it just seems to me that it isn't as informative when it can only show line of sight - or lack of - for up to two units.  If I have ten units on uneven terrain, it can only show me that a region can be reached by two of them, not whether the majority are blocked.  It's potentially deceptive because blocked firing lanes are hidden.

Ronini

True, true.
But since I can't think of a way to show this in a clearer way that doesn't become a complete and utter mess, I settle for this:
Some information (even slightly deceptive info) is better than no information (Yes. You can be of a very different opinion on this one. A test is definitely required)

In most cases you should be perfectly fine to know wether or not more than one unit cover a certain spot. For a more detailed micro-management you'd still be stuck with selecting each unit individually. But since this would only matter in rough terrain you'll probably end up placing each unit individually anyway.

Mmh. I guess I have just lawyered myself. I'd still like to see my requested feature, but it's limited benefits probably won't warrant the effort of implementation. Consider my request withdrawn (at least from my side.)

But I've got something I'm quite excited about:

Use the star map as game menu:
- Select game type by jumping to a different sector [one for the main campaign, one for bouns maps, lots
  and lots for custom maps (i.e. grouped by author, theme, difficulty, etc.]
- load games by accessing the planet on the map (see the savegame history thread for more on this)
- accessing game options, quitting the game, game stats and custom map management through clicking
   your ship:
    - engine room (options)
    - escape pod (quit)
    - something for stats (library?)
    - cartography/navigation for custom map management (sectors).
    - crew quarters (credits).

4xC

Quote from: lurkily on November 11, 2012, 12:11:30 PM
So, let's summarize.  In selecting units, all their ranges are visible. 
1: If one unit has access or doesn't have access, translucent red or white, as now.
2: If two or more units have a firing line, or if two or more units have blocked fire, a bolder white or red, that does not get bolder with many overlapping ranges.
3: If any unit has line-of-fire on a cell, the indicators that units do not have line-of fire are not shown.
Honestly, it just seems to me that it isn't as informative when it can only show line of sight - or lack of - for up to two units.  If I have ten units on uneven terrain, it can only show me that a region can be reached by two of them, not whether the majority are blocked.  It's potentially deceptive because blocked firing lanes are hidden.

First off, just show it for up to 3 or 4 units. Second, maybe the shades will either blend enough to tell the difference.

Better yet, either show just the effective range that can be hit at one time, only the blocked LOS at another time, or don't show the blocked LOS at all.
C,C,C,C

lurkily

Quote from: 4xC on November 12, 2012, 08:40:16 AMFirst off, just show it for up to 3 or 4 units. Second, maybe the shades will either blend enough to tell the difference.
This would be fine for a hotkey.  As a default for selected units, it would be a mess that threatens to blot out the map.

4xC

I would suggest a hotkey for each of the functions: effective range, and blocked LOS, but that sounds too picky for players and the last thing a player needs to be in RTS games is picky. However, if a default for selected units would blot out the whole map on  CW3, why does it not blot out the map for CW1 SAMs? I get it if it does in CW3. BTW, do the Particle Beams show their ranges in the same format that the CW1 SAMs do? (all at once and everything)
C,C,C,C

lurkily

Too many overlapped SAM ranges DOES blot out the map in CW1, as I seem to recall.  However, for just a hotkey, that may be acceptable - it would never be active except while you were actively holding it down.

Also, it would be limited to only what you selected, further limiting the circumstances under which so many ranges would overlap.

4xC

Then perhaps that limit should pass for 3. Maybe if a group of units was selected, there could be a hotkey option for showing their ranges.

Beyond that, I must say that I think CW3's potential hotkey database would be less complicated if fewer functions were applied to the same buttons. For instance, in CW2, the numbers alone determined units to build. While it is prudent for ctrl-# to make a group, I think that recalling a group should not require a double button press like making one does.

And I think that the units to build should have hotkeys that are letters in their names like in the Starcraft series. It may spread hotkey knowledge in CW3 thinner, but I think it would be worth it as later games usually call for more depth and adaptable changes.
C,C,C,C

lurkily

Quote from: 4xC on November 15, 2012, 08:30:09 AM
Then perhaps that limit should pass for 3. Maybe if a group of units was selected, there could be a hotkey option for showing their ranges.
That's pretty much exactly what I've been suggesting.

QuoteWhile it is prudent for ctrl-# to make a group, I think that recalling a group should not require a double button press like making one does.
Could use CTRL-Fkey and FKey to save and recall.

QuoteAnd I think that the units to build should have hotkeys that are letters in their names like in the Starcraft series. It may spread hotkey knowledge in CW3 thinner, but I think it would be worth it as later games usually call for more depth and adaptable changes.
If the hotkeys aren't very clear and concise, one of our largest markets - casual players - won't bother to use it.  The trouble of learning it will be too much.  Some people just don't want to do homework in order to have fun.

4xC

If it seemed like I was suggesting something that I thought you hadn't before, my mistake. It's tricky to keep up with everything.

And I would have stuck with CTRL-number, but there are more F key buttons than number keys.

I agree that it would be less casual to have a thinner base of hotkeys, but having them bunched up too much is not very helpful either.
C,C,C,C

lurkily

Quote from: 4xC on November 15, 2012, 09:35:40 AMI agree that it would be less casual to have a thinner base of hotkeys, but having them bunched up too much is not very helpful either.
Here I disagree - I think keeping your keys in the same place is crucial.  One example of this is the FPS genre, which typically uses WASD for movement, E for actions, Q for . . . other things, R for reload, F for flaslight, shift for running, tab for menus, numbers for weapons - all accessible with the four fingers of the left hand without moving them from the home keys to reach them.