Weekly 5-map tournament - 2011 IMO winners - Closing 8-7-2011

Started by thepenguin, July 31, 2011, 07:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thepenguin

Florrat cannot post this week's tournament, and has requested that I post these maps for him

All Tournaments
Code Map Scoreboard
Tournament Score Tool

Okay, the new theme is: winners of the International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO) 2011. The IMO is a yearly international competition for high school students. More than 550 students from around 100 countries participate in this event. I've chosen it since I was one of the organizers of this IMO.

Map Name:Size:Complexity:
Lisa SauermannMediumMedium
Jeck LimSmallMedium
Lin ChenSmallLow
Jun Jie Joseph KuanMediumHigh
David YangLargeHigh

(I advise everyone to try Lin Chen on Small/Medium. It is a nice hard map with a lot of drones. I wanted to choose these settings, but I've not chosen them since it is pretty hard to complete that map at all)
We have become the creeper...

Fisherck

The code map scorer is not reading this tournament, and I believe it is because you used / instead of -. :)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

TonyP2000

I have already beat three of the five maps. Two to go!
Vote Tony!

Measure

Quote from: thepenguin on July 31, 2011, 07:06:56 AM
(I advise everyone to try Lin Chen on Small/Medium. It is a nice hard map with a lot of drones. I wanted to choose these settings, but I've not chosen them since it is pretty hard to complete that map at all)

Hard to complete? Are you sure it is possible at all? I don't see any scores posted...

Kithros

Quote from: Measure on August 01, 2011, 01:46:33 AM
Quote from: thepenguin on July 31, 2011, 07:06:56 AM

Hard to complete? Are you sure it is possible at all? I don't see any scores posted...
It's not so bad if you know what you're doing - on medium complexity you pretty much just win once you get a creeper make running since the emitters are pretty pitiful in terms of intensity. That said I'm not sure if it's possible on high complexity.

Spoiler
[close]

jlog

Hey there, nice work on these maps, they've got a nice variety for sure. 

I was wondering if some of the faster players could give us any tips.  I'm pretty consistently in the top 5 but there's always a handful of people that crush my time so obviously I'm missing something.  I was especially curious what your strategy is regarding what you spend your techs on. 

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the help!

Colin

Well I finished all of them, I may come back to them later on this week.

Map Name:Size:Complexity:Score:Time:
Lisa SauermannMediumMedium12824
5:24
Jeck LimSmallMedium12152
4:35
Lin ChenSmallLow13335
1:53
Jun Jie Joseph KuanMediumHigh11372
8:23
David YangLargeHigh12391
8:38
Total:62074
28:52

I don't know if these are good or bad scores. =S

Still it was fun either way!

P.S.
here is the table in code format, copy/paste for easier score posting:
[table]
[tr][td][color=red][b]Map Name:[/b][/color][/td][td][color=blue][b]Size:[/b][/color][/td][td][color=green][b]Complexity:[/b][/color][/td][td][b]Score:[/b][/td][td][b]Time:[/b][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][color=red]Lisa Sauermann[/color][/td][td][color=blue]Medium[/color][/td][td][color=green]Medium[/color][/td][td]S-----[/td][td][right]T--:--[/right][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][color=red]Jeck Lim[/color][/td][td][color=blue]Small[/color][/td][td][color=green]Medium[/color][/td][td]S-----[/td][td][right]T--:--[/right][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][color=red]Lin Chen[/color][/td][td][color=blue]Small[/color][/td][td][color=green]Low[/color][/td][td]S-----/td][td][right]T--:--/right][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][color=red]Jun Jie Joseph Kuan[/color][/td][td][color=blue]Medium[/color][/td][td][color=green]High[/color][/td][td]S-----[/td][td][right]T--:--[/right][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][color=red]David Yang[/color][/td][td][color=blue]Large[/color][/td][td][color=green]High[/color][/td][td]S-----[/td][td][right]T--:--[/right][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][b]Total:[/b][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td]60664[/td][td][right]41:25[/right][/td][/tr]
[/table]

T = Time
S = Score

Note... I copy pasted this table as a quote, I'm not good enough at HTML to code a table manually ;)
To fight back the Creeper all you need is. . . What? Energy.
My maps CW1 are located here try out my MIS series.

Measure

Quote from: jlog on August 01, 2011, 06:25:41 PM

I was wondering if some of the faster players could give us any tips.  I'm pretty consistently in the top 5 but there's always a handful of people that crush my time so obviously I'm missing something.  I was especially curious what your strategy is regarding what you spend your techs on. 

I'm nowhere near the fastest, but I find it usually significantly improves my times if I attack the creeper in two places at once. This week I've managed top 3 on three of the maps, but I don't think I have what it takes to get a 'fastest time' on anything.

Katra

Finished all maps. I may try to improve a score or two, but I'm really short on time this week. (Will be out of town Thur til late Mon.

Lisa SauermannMediumMedium10568
15:18
Jeck LimSmallMedium11918
6:54
Lin ChenSmallLow131497
3:03
Jun Jie Joseph KuanMediumHigh11035
11:07
David YangLargeHigh12009
11:06
Total:58697
49:28

The last one was a good experimental map. Fun with conversion bombs.  ;) (I set off 11 at once for one chamber.)
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

Measure

Jun Jie Joseph Kuan has a nasty gateway emitter. Took me awhile to figure out what was going on with that.

Grauniad

Quote from: Katra on August 02, 2011, 01:48:27 AM
Finished all maps. I may try to improve a score or two, but I'm really short on time this week. (Will be out of town Thur til late Mon.

Jeck LimSmallMedium11918
Lin ChenSmallLow131497
David YangLargeHigh12009

The last one was a good experimental map. Fun with conversion bombs.  ;) (I set off 11 at once for one chamber.)

That Lin Chen map is a walk in the park. Without trying I finished in 2:45. :)
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Kithros

Quote from: Grauniad on August 02, 2011, 11:28:35 AM
Quote from: Katra on August 02, 2011, 01:48:27 AM

Jeck LimSmallMedium11918
Lin ChenSmallLow131497
David YangLargeHigh12009

That Lin Chen map is a walk in the park. Without trying I finished in 2:45. :)
Really any low complexity map will be completely pathetic in terms of difficulty. No gateways of any kind, always normal gravity, no fields, and pathetic emitter intensities, surface emitters can be nullified before building any other weapons.

Evil Roc

Some of the basics would be to keep using energy (not allow a single second to have it wasted by sitting at full bar), build many reactors quick and attack creeper at 2-3 directions simultaneously once you have sufficient energy and terrain allows it. I have a few screenshots with my progress on this set of maps I think which I may share once it is over.

That said I am myself so far behind Fisherck I am myself really looking forward if he can share some ideas and screenshots :)

Fisherck

Quote from: Evil Roc on August 02, 2011, 12:26:38 PM
That said I am myself so far behind Fisherck I am myself really looking forward if he can share some ideas and screenshots :)

I'll try to remember to take screenshots this time. ;)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

jlog

Quote from: Evil Roc on August 02, 2011, 12:26:38 PM

Some of the basics would be to keep using energy (not allow a single second to have it wasted by sitting at full bar), build many reactors quick and attack creeper at 2-3 directions simultaneously once you have sufficient energy and terrain allows it. I have a few screenshots with my progress on this set of maps I think which I may share once it is over.

I definitely try not to waste any energy and would love to see your screenshots (at the end, of course).  I'm amazed by Fisherck, crazy good times on the maps.