Main Menu

double down

Started by florrat, June 02, 2011, 06:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

florrat

Hi everyone,

I've played both Creeper World and Creeper World 2 and I really love both games. I especially like to play hard maps, where you escape the brink of death. That's why I really loved the double down mode in CW1, which added extra challenge to all maps.

Are there plans to include double down in the next patch? I've not seen any message about that in the public forums (but maybe I missed it). My idea is that it will
* Double the amount of creeper the emitters will emit every time they emit;
* Double the amount of all starting creeper on the map;
* Double the amount of hp of drones and phantoms.
In my opinion the starting creeper and drone/phantom hp should also be double, such that maps where the main difficulty comes from one of those will also be twice as hard.

I understand that the disadvantage of this is that some stable amount of starting creeper isn't stable any more in double down. Alternatively the gravity could be doubled too, but then all changes will be the same as making all your weapons twice as weak (and then you still have the same time left until you have to confront the creeper, which will make the game only harder by a little bit).

What are your ideas about double down? And are there already steps taken to include this is the next update?

Actually, what I'd like to see is going one step further: also allowing triple down, fivetuple down, or even better n-tuple down, where you can specify n yourself. I'd love to play Day 2 with 10 times the amount of creeper coming out of that little emitter (that should still be easy, I guess, but how about 100 times). I'd also love to see highscore tables which will not show how fast you completed a certain level, but with how much creeper. So you'll get n points if you play on n-tuple down, no matter how fast or how slow you completed that map. (then you should also allow n to be a non-integer, so that you can play with 2.5 or 2.6 times the amount of creeper). I think is will be interesting, on maps, like day 2, we'll be able to handle hundreds, if not thousands times the amount of original creeper, but in other maps, like day 18, we might barely reach 2 or 3 times.

What are your ideas about this "n-tuple down" mode and highscores?

thepenguin

so, n is a multiplyer on your score?
We have become the creeper...

UpperKEES

I'm sure you will be able to play much harder maps very soon.... :)

Highscores shouldn't be compared in case of a double down mode, because a map with twice as much Creeper isn't twice as hard (because your weapons will be much more effective, especially when upgraded and when you're not threatened immediately at the start).
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

florrat

Good to hear that harder maps will be coming XD

And about the highscores, maybe I wasn't clear enough. I meant that I'd like to see new highscore tables (in addition to the current ones) which contains only your value of n, so the amount of creeper you fought with. Your score in that table does not depend on how long it took you to finish the map (or how much artefacts you've collected). So if I beat a map on double down, I'll get a score of 2, and if I play with 5 times the amount of creeper I'll get a score of 5.