Map making tournament

Started by Krell, June 01, 2011, 02:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krell

lol hence the competition. I expect half of these to be ridiculous. The best boss is the nearly impossible to beat one.

and most of my maps have actually come out really nicely. there was one mistake that I submitted once, but I fixed that and the maps came out pretty well actually.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Kithros on June 03, 2011, 12:55:04 PM
The main problem I anticipate with most of the boss fights, is that they will be made to do illogical/stupid things that are completely impossible to anticipate, and make good plays turn into bad plays - like, if a boss randomly teleports creeper into your base and kills all your reactors, and you were supposed to know exactly where it was teleporting the creeper to and make shields around it... that is not good design whatsoever. It would need to be designed in a way that the boss doesn't do things that are completely unpredictable, but still have enough abilities that it doesn't get dull. Having some strong drones appear occasionally is pretty much a necessity or shields will make it really easy.

Quote from: mthw2vc on June 03, 2011, 01:31:52 PM
While I admit, I like a tough fight, I only like the fair ones... Any gimmicks should be either predictable or possible to recover from. A battle that is genuinely very difficult against a flowing and dynamic enemy that plays by the rules is fun. A battle that requires playing 5-7 times just to figure out how to avoid losing to the enemy's "special move" is ridiculous. To put it this way, I don't want to be tricked into thinking I'm doing well only to find out later that I had to move my base to the other end of the map by 8:45 or lose to a huge amount of creeper teleporting in. The boss's moves must make sense and be to a reasonable extent predictable.

First of all it's a matter of taste. ;) That said most people indeed won't like it when millions of Creeper get transported towards your base, so if something like that is done, the introduction text (or a holocube) should warn the player for that. This is exactly how it worked for CW1: tell the player what to expect and everything is fine. Map makers who don't will hear this soon in the comments.

Like most CW players you both probably are the kind of player who loves to be in control of the situation. Who isn't? I know I do. After playing for a while however I like to be surprised anyway. Not too much of course, but just enough to keep me alert.

It's no big deal if you have to restart a very hard map a couple of times; for me this only increases the challenge and the fun I have. If that octopus suddenly stretches his tentacles, that's fine with me. I don't have to know everything in advance. Nobody knew the space invader in Day 18 would show up, but I still loved it.

So before we judge anything, let's just see first. I'm sure many map makers will come up with very nice designs. Some will be annoying or disappointing, but probably many of them will show the creativity of this community and inspire others to make something even better. :)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Ebon Heart

This is so cool! you can pretty much think of any animal or object, and make it an insane boss. For example, you could have a comb boss, and with enough work, make it a tough fight. Or a bird, or the epic turtle of doom.... lmao. Creeper is Creeper, even if it's in a differnt shape.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

Yelik

I'm thinking of making a MegaMan

Ebon Heart

Quote from: Yelik on June 05, 2011, 12:23:32 PM
I thought of that... My big one I'm gonna make though is... get ready,
Spoiler
SUPER MARIO!
[close]
as in galaxy, if you get my meaning...

Kamron3

I've already called dibs on Space Invaders and Pacman. :)

TonyP2000

Quote from: Ebon_Heart on June 06, 2011, 10:23:06 PM
Quote from: Yelik on June 05, 2011, 12:23:32 PM
I thought of that... My big one I'm gonna make though is... get ready,
Spoiler
SUPER MARIO!
[close]
as in galaxy, if you get my meaning...

Sorry Ebon_Heart, but your ideas are (also) in another castle. (By castle, I mean, myself. Though it's not really a boss, just more of a super Mario themed level).
Vote Tony!

Ebon Heart

I have some competicion then? alright. lol. I actually have an idea for a sort of joke series where the styglek get obsessed wtih some nintendo games... And I suppose the super mario galaxy idea has been widely thought of, considering the gravity on the later bonus missions. Oh well, we can make a game out of it. XD

TonyP2000

I personally was thinking of a level that starts above ground then goes into the underground stages. I just need to find learn how to change the tiles/sprites for the ground to the bricks. It would also be cool to make a Metroid level.
Vote Tony!

Ebon Heart

....... you and I think too much alike. lmao. Maybe we could work together on some of these maps? that could turn out pretty cool.

crazyone76

your all going a bit off-topic
go Dutch
go Netherlands
Holland ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ebon Heart

we're still talking about cw2 maps. And for what I have planned... it's not off topic. it'll be a boss.

ontheworld

It goes from a tournament of bosses to you guys talking about a mario/metroid level and all that. It sounds just like a regular(ish) custom map to me... And no, strong emitters / drones are no serious bosses if you ask me.

TonyP2000

Quote from: ontheworld on June 08, 2011, 01:19:56 AM
And no, strong emitters / drones are no serious bosses if you ask me.

You need a strong emitter to make sure the player does not push their way in too easily with few weapons and drones to destroy the shields. A strong emitter and a gateway for drones (and spores if you want) are the base but you have to play around with the fields to create the best shape and attacks.

Plus, if you want lots of cool -as well as dense- fields, you need lots of creeper coming from a strong emitter or multiple weaker emitters.
Vote Tony!

Ebon Heart

Quote from: ontheworld on June 08, 2011, 01:19:56 AM
It goes from a tournament of bosses to you guys talking about a mario/metroid level and all that. It sounds just like a regular(ish) custom map to me... And no, strong emitters / drones are no serious bosses if you ask me.
ehh, I was thinking of a giant creeper mario that thows fireballs and stuff at you.... maybe a big creeper bowser.... I could even make peach a boss! lmao.