Creeper flow in double down mode

Started by UpperKEES, January 25, 2010, 03:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

If I understood well, twice as much Creeper gets emitted in Double Down (DD) mode.

When I let a map run for a while without building anything in DD-mode, I noticed that the time it takes for the Creeper to reach a certain point is not 50% of the time it takes without DD-mode on. Differences were more like 23 seconds instead of 30 seconds, or 2:28 instead of 3:04, which is only 24-30% faster.

Why is that?
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

TheBuilder

double down mode only means that the emitters are emitting twice as much creeper, that doesn't mean that te creeper moves twice as fast.

Does this help?
Not even death can stop the truly determined.

I told them, "I want to add to the world."
They said, "Then learn how to use the editor."
I asked, "What is the editor?"
They said, "Life."

Siccles

one reason for this might be what the max elevation of creeper isnot infinite.

If an emitter already raised his field to the maximum elevation in normal mode, double down mode would probably not make him stronger (at least if my guess that the production of creeper is doubled, not the speed is right, never played dd).

Also creeper doesn`t spread instantly, for example if you play Loki the whole left half of the map can be filled to the highest elevation with creeper, which wastes most of the new creeper produced, while the elevation far away from the emitters isnt very high.

Depending on how strong the emitters are in normal mode, how much they are spread,how the terrain is etc., doubledown mode can make them two times as strong or not stronger at all.

UpperKEES

@ TheBuilder:
Indeed makes sense, but I would expect the Creeper to spread over the map much faster as well. I guess I have to study thermic flows a little bit better.... ;)

Anyway, it sure helps me finish the maps in DD-mode quicker. :)

@ Siccles:
Quote from: Siccles on January 25, 2010, 03:16:10 PM
If an emitter already raised his field to the maximum elevation in normal mode, double down mode would probably not make him stronger

Well, it would probably at least resupply the Creeper faster when under attack.

never played dd.

You should! It's even more fun! :D

Also creeper doesn`t spread instantly, for example if you play Loki the whole left half of the map can be filled to the highest elevation with creeper, which wastes most of the new creeper produced, while the elevation far away from the emitters isnt very high.

Depending on how strong the emitters are in normal mode, how much they are spread,how the terrain is etc., doubledown mode can make them two times as strong or not stronger at all.

Yeah, I never understood that exactly, which proves again the Creeper is not behaving like a normal liquid, so back to my studies....

BTW: I wouldn't mind a Triple Down mode after completing Double Down!  8)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

TheBuilder

The creeper wan't modeled after liquid, as Virgil said, (dont remember where), Creeper is modeled after how heat would act when applied to a metal plate, that is also how the creeper "evaporates" when not connected to an emitter, though the more creeper/heat there is the longer it takes to dissapate.

But yes the creeper would probably flow faster, but just not twice as fast.
Not even death can stop the truly determined.

I told them, "I want to add to the world."
They said, "Then learn how to use the editor."
I asked, "What is the editor?"
They said, "Life."

Aurzel

there is no max height to the creeper, have you tried putting an emitter with 20 intensity siccles? believe me its a lot harder to fight than an emitter with 10 intensity

Siccles

ive never ever even attempted to make a map --- I enjoy the practical competition of beating maps more, so you may be right

Aurzel

try beating my 'thor isnt broken' map and tell me if you can win without thor? and if not, then tell me how many blasters it takes to cap a single emitter lol

Jehoel

It takes 5 to cap each.

Thor is just icing on the cake.

Oh, and nice plug for your map.  Wasn't sure if your comment above was intended to drum up interest in your map, or if it was a real question you had.
Though it is the Reader who undergoes the journey, it is the Writer who is the creator of worlds
~D'ni Script~

Aurzel

nah i know it takes 5, it was a rhetorical to get siccles to realise that more creeper can be emitted than the land height

Panaque

Commander Strife

whats dd mode? is it something you get when you get everything?
We Are Endless...
Light will collapse beside Evil...
With Our Approach...
All Will Fall...

Aurzel

once you complete every map you unlock double down mode which will half the interval for all emitters, so and emitter which emitted every 1 second now emits every half second