Weekly history tournament - Notable Fighter Aces of the World - closing Oct. 17

Started by UpperKEES, October 12, 2010, 01:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

As promised my solutions for this tournament:

October 8, 1890

First build all collectors as indicated and add 4 blasters at the bottom. Fly 2 of them to the emitter to cap it instantly and use the other 2 to clear the lowlands in between. Build 2 collectors to the capping blasters and fly 1 of the other 2 there as well. In the meanwhile start flying OC straight down. Build the last collector to the left and fly OC plus 1 blaster to the final totem and land it in the creeper to charge it.

May 2, 1892

Build all collectors as indicated and fly OC down to charge the final totem while flying in the air.

September 24, 1920

Build all collectors as indicated. After that build a SAM (cheap!) and fly it down along with OC to charge the final totem while both stay in the air. You'll have to keep adjusting their destination a couple of times to achieve this; it's a tight fit.

August 18, 1921

Build all collectors and relays as indicated. Give priority to the relays because this is your longest supply line, so only build an additional collector when you've got enough energy to do so. Again some fancy flying is required to connect OC to the last totem (but easier than the 3rd map).

April 19, 1922

This was my favorite map, as I knew I would be able to gain most time here. First build a few collectors and start building the mortar when 5 collectors have finished (2 up and 3 down). Keep building collectors one by one while the mortar is being built; first the bottom ones and after that the top ones. When the mortar is finished move it to its destination as indicated. The low lands will start to clear and at that time disable ammo packets and disable the mortar. Only let it fire a round when needed (the creeper will start flooding the lowlands on the right). Fly OC to the last totem while the SAM is still being built and finishes just in time to fly along with OC, maintain the connection and charge the totem. When you do this all quick enough the only collector on elevation level 1 will just make it.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Katra

Similar to my solutions except the last. (I moved the city to the peninsula high ground  by where you place the mortar and relayed across the narrows. I did make a 3 collector line to the upgrade farther left along the peninsula - half built the collectors while the city was moving.)

On the first I could never cap the emitter with less than six total blasters. (The two right on the emitter would run out of ammo before I could connect them.)
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

UpperKEES

Quote from: Katra on October 18, 2010, 12:59:09 PM
Similar to my solutions except the last. (I moved the city to the peninsula high ground  by where you place the mortar and relayed across the narrows. I did make a 3 collector line to the upgrade farther left along the peninsula - half built the collectors while the city was moving.)

That's exactly what I did initially (although I used a SAM + 2 collectors instead of a relay). I noticed however that I lost quite some time flying to my initial location and also needed more energy to build multiple units simultaneously, so I decided to land sooner. I bridged with a SAM to the top part and improved my score, but noticed I didn't need bridging at all when I would be quick enough.

Quote from: Katra on October 18, 2010, 12:59:09 PM
On the first I could never cap the emitter with less than six total blasters. (The two right on the emitter would run out of ammo before I could connect them.)

When capping an emitter with paratroopers (disconnected blasters) you have to make sure they don't get distracted by surrounding creeper, so placement is very important. I always land these paratroopers at a location where they can reach as little lower terrain as possible, so they solely concentrate on the emitter. In that case 2 is enough (and a third one a few seconds later). I also disable the blasters one by one when the area is cleared so they don't waste energy, because 1 is enough to cap. Finally it also helped that OC was already flying downwards at that time, which speeds up the building of the connecting collectors.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview