CW2 Map Making Suggestions

Started by Pyxis_GeeK, August 31, 2010, 03:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyxis_GeeK

What are your thoughts on how CW 2 maps will be made?

MadMag

Like I said in the other topic (sorry). I _think_ the map making in CW1 has much more facilities than CW2, because CW2 is from a side view and CW1 is from a top view. I can think of 2 things to make maps out of in side view: Caverns/Caves/Grottos/Burrows/Dens :) (pretty boring after a while) and the other one is Skyscrapers and such.. But i'll have to wait and see, maybe I get a pleasant supprise.

DigDug was only fun for so long.. hehe

Edit: maybe a underwater map could be a possibility. (The Abyss)

Here is a little screenshot to get ideas out of:

Sauffaus

How about maps of the inner workings of the body?... like arteries, stomacs and the like :)

Michionlion

or just creat somthing that is based on a map that Vigil makes for the story or something.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

MadMag

Well, the only thing I have seen from that part is cave systems and if it is so, I think it will be boring after a while, but maybe he got some freaking good ideas. Going to be cool to see and play the game :)

Pyxis_GeeK

Thats the first time I have seen that much of a map for CW2. I think we will just have to wait and see how the game works. Its really hard to say. I do like the body organ suggestion by Sauffaus

Michionlion

if you want to see more stuff about cw2 go to the blog and look around.  theres a lot of stuff there
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Blaze

Two things, one is that "map" in a molded together one made up of several screen shots.
Two is that yes, there will and is a map editor, and Virgil is making all of the maps with it.

Pyxis_GeeK

I know there is a map editor. I think this thread is somewhat early in that we dont know what the mechanics are gonna be for CW2. Its hard to say that map making will die in CW2 (i dont think it will). You cant make a map or even really think of an idea for a map untill you see how the game works. I keep trying to stress that point.

MadMag

Never to early to discuss a new game. I hope we can test CW2 soon :)

Pyxis_GeeK

Very true but the reason this thread was started originally was because it was said that map making would go away in CW2:

Quote from: MadMag on August 31, 2010, 02:44:35 PM
Nice to see the steady upload of new maps, I think this importain feature will fade away with CW2.. Nothing funny with making layers of dirt :p

Not so much replay value as CW1 and thats a shame.

ontheworld

would be awesome if the assault ship could be underground, like "OMG you crashed!"

Pyxis_GeeK

I finally understand what MadMag was trying to say. I think he is somewhat correct in the assumption that map making will take a slight hit in CW2 (I hope I'm wrong). Currently I am working on several maps. One is a chessboard. A chessboard wouldn't be possible in CW2. At least I don't think it would be. I am not a very artistic person. Most times I can see an idea map, drawing, etc in my head. When it comes to actually doing what's in my head I fail miserably. Not because it isn't possible but because I'm just not talented in that area. Even as I write this I still have ideas about maps for CW2. Instead of looking at a temple from the top you will be looking at it from the side. That actually does sound like fun if it can be done.

I must follow my own advice and just wait and see some of the things that Virgil has come up with to get any more ideas.

Aurzel

I think what you and madmag are trying to say is that while there may not be a problem with mapmaking, the map editor tool might cater to more advanced map makers for what ever reason and therefore the 'rookie map makers' shall we call them, wont be sending in maps anymore (kinda the same idea of the transition from starcraft's map editor to the galaxy editor of starcraft 2)
but others have said we can't make that assumption till we know more

Pyxis_GeeK

Your absolutley correct Aurzel. I just gotta wait and see what happens. I know that I will try my hand at mapmaking for CW2.