CW2 suggestion - Variable fire rate

Started by Karsten75, July 12, 2010, 10:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

I suspect that CW2 will still utilize weapons (as well as diggers). One of the things the bedeviled me often in CW was the issue of firing rate. Now I thought of a way to control this. Perhaps Virgil could look into this? Since weapons have ammo stores, could they adjust their firing rate based on the supply of ammo in their stores? So if a weapon is between 100-80% supplied, then it fires at full speed. If it is between 60-40% supplied, it fires at 2/3 speed and if any lower, it fires at 1/3 speed?

Any thoughts from the CW community out there?

SPIFFEN

That might be nice for players that overbuild like i do =)
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

UpperKEES

I would like to be able to adjust it (especially for mortars and drones I'd often like it to be slower so they become more effective), but I wouldn't like it when it depends on the amount of ammo. Especially for blasters this might mean losing caps or conquered terrain. I'd rather see the implementation of 'smart mortars' like suggested here.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Sqaz

I'd also like to slow down mortars as that would really lowers the micro-managing you have to do to save some energy (I don't really care about drones, as you always have to micro-manage them).

Another thing that might be useful could be the possibility to let your mortars or blasters just shoot all their ammo without refueling them (A bit the opposite of disarming), this would also save energy, and is (as I sometimes wished I had something like that) useful for those tight energy-managment maps.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Sqaz on July 12, 2010, 10:48:58 AM
Another thing that might be useful could be the possibility to let your mortars or blasters just shoot all their ammo without refueling them (A bit the opposite of disarming), this would also save energy, and is (as I sometimes wished I had something like that) useful for those tight energy-managment maps.

Yes! I also often need that (but can't disconnect them from my network because I need them nearby). This is something I also suggested before, but I can't remember where....

Karsten75

Quote from: UpperKEES on July 12, 2010, 10:14:46 AM
I would like to be able to adjust it (especially for mortars and drones I'd often like it to be slower so they become more effective), but I wouldn't like it when it depends on the amount of ammo. Especially for blasters this might mean losing caps or conquered terrain. I'd rather see the implementation of 'smart mortars' like suggested here.

I don't see how this idea applies to drones at all. Drones fill up (I've not suggested that we tinker with the "fill-up" or demand rate) and then you dispatch them. So by definition they are always at 100% full when determining firing rate. Also, I don't think there are going to be drones in CW2 (maybe something else that is similar?) since CW2 is underground. (Which obviates my request for way-points on drone bombing routes).

This suggestion also differs from the referenced "smart mortar" suggestion in that that that one is affected by the depth of the creeper, here I'm referring to something that, regardless of the creeper depth, throttles their firing rate depending on the availability of ammunition.

I guess we can argue indefinitely about the efficacy of adjustable firing rate. Without proof either way, I'm satisfied with merely putting the suggestion out there and leaving the rest up to whatever happens.

Quote from: Sqaz on July 12, 2010, 10:48:58 AM

Definitely. Add my vote.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Karsten75 on July 12, 2010, 11:55:21 AM
I don't see how this idea applies to drones at all. Drones fill up (I've not suggested that we tinker with the "fill-up" or demand rate) and then you dispatch them. So by definition they are always at 100% full when determining firing rate. Also, I don't think there are going to be drones in CW2 (maybe something else that is similar?) since CW2 is underground. (Which obviates my request for way-points on drone bombing routes).

I'd like the interval between the bombs dropped by drones to be longer; that's what I meant. You can consider this a firing rate decrease. I think what you mean is that weapons demand less energy in certain situations, which could be considered similar to the build 20% faster upgrade (which just gives more priority to building when your energy supplies are limited).

Quote from: Karsten75 on July 12, 2010, 11:55:21 AM
This suggestion also differs from the referenced "smart mortar" suggestion in that that that one is affected by the depth of the creeper, here I'm referring to something that, regardless of the creeper depth, throttles their firing rate depending on the availability of ammunition.

I understand the difference and that's exactly why I prefer the smart mortar option. ;)

Sqaz

Quote from: UpperKEES on July 12, 2010, 12:24:49 PM
I'd like the interval between the bombs dropped by drones to be longer; that's what I meant. You can consider this a firing rate decrease. I think what you mean is that weapons demand less energy in certain situations, which could be considered similar to the build 20% faster upgrade (which just gives more priority to building when your energy supplies are limited).

Decreasing the interval of drone bombs would make drones to overpowered, even now I always prefer them above mortars.

Maybe also a slider to decide if a weapon would get more or less energy and civilian buildings less or more energy would be useful (I think everyone has already seen a blaster that couldn't cap that emitter because to many buildings were being build, which then causes you to lose a whole part of your network).

UpperKEES

Quote from: Sqaz on July 12, 2010, 01:33:35 PM
Decreasing the interval of drone bombs would make drones to overpowered, even now I always prefer them above mortars.

Absolutely true, so this should only be the case when the 'smart mortars' would be implemented.

Quote from: Sqaz on July 12, 2010, 01:33:35 PM
Maybe also a slider to decide if a weapon would get more or less energy and civilian buildings less or more energy would be useful (I think everyone has already seen a blaster that couldn't cap that emitter because to many buildings were being build, which then causes you to lose a whole part of your network).

Or just a deactivate button for civilian buildings as well, so they stop building.

F0R

The bad thing about this is if your in a deficit and you are trying to advance. (I like to advance in a deficit.) It would be nearly impossible due to weak blasters.

Blaze

The whole game can't be underground.
Virgil said that we had to dig.
I doubt all of the levels will be underground.

UpperKEES

There will still be a surface, so I guess spores and drones will be able to target that (and the holes/trenches you've dug). Not sure about tunnels though.

F0R

i get to dig yay. I hope i hit diamonds. not the creeper.

Blaze

Quote from: F0R on July 16, 2010, 05:32:39 AM

Enter the "Creeper Diamond" Duhn Duhn Dunnnnnnn-lananananannnnnnnn.....

The smoking revolver

Quote from: Blaze on July 17, 2010, 12:26:23 AM
Quote from: F0R on July 16, 2010, 05:32:39 AM

Enter the "Creeper Diamond" Duhn Duhn Dunnnnnnn-lananananannnnnnnn.....
LOL

YES!I WANT VERY MUCH
S*** MY CAPS IS STUCK!!!
OH WAIT-I can use shift to reverse it, sorry ;D
There is always a I in team