Custom Map: The Number Two

Started by AutoPost, June 26, 2010, 07:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: The Number Two

Author: Submerged06

Desc:
There are three emitters, each at maximum output. You must navigate the corridors around them and connect. This is possible, but it takes some very intense gameplay in the middle of the level :).

Xirema

Dude, you gotta beta test your maps before you submit. I finished in 7 minutes, before any of the main emitters had even turned on. All I needed to do was send a few blasters ahead and cap off the single weak emitter guarding the totem to finish on time. Since capping an emitter takes little energy, I didn't even need to power the blaster until after I'd set up lines to that location.

Toaster

I want to know how sqaz did this in 48 seconds.

Callean

Its actually an allright map if you dont go the fast way. I think that the second and third creeper emitters dont work since once I passed the first everything suddenly became really easy since i just had to bomb the creeper away and keep the first one at bay.
Should check on that!
Callean

Xirema

Quote from: Toaster on June 27, 2010, 12:41:53 PM
I want to know how sqaz did this in 48 seconds.

There's a glitch in the game where locking down Odin City doesn't work if you're really clever in the first few milliseconds after the game begins loading. I tried to do it once but had no success. Basically, if you design a map where there's only one totem and enough space to land odin city nearby, then you can instantly win the map, but it is, for all intensive purposes, cheating.

SPIFFEN

I dont think it cheating anymore , there are easy ways to prevent this cheat to be done .
Build more Totems , dont make room for it by the use of walls or some small terrain dots .
And an map maker that makes an expert only map should know this , if you ask me =P
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

UpperKEES

Whether you consider it cheating or not (I do), I don't understand the fun people get out of abusing that bug. What's the challenge? Obviously new map makers (and quite some regular players) don't know about it and you can't blame them for not knowing all ins & outs of the game. Not everybody is a forum addict like we are. ;) This author at least was so smart to lock Odin City, something that many map makers forget when they use only 1 totem. Hopefully this bug will be fixed in the upcoming patch of the game.

Regarding the delayed emitters: I guess Submerged06 has learned from this.... :P
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Sqaz

As you can't stop others from using the bug, why not use it yourself? Then the mapmakers will learn to prevent this soon enough.

And the emitter timing is also wrong, the second main emitter starts at 1920 instead of 960 and the last one at 3840 instead of 1920.

UpperKEES

If you can't stop others from stealing, why not steal yourself?
If you can't stop others from using doping in sports, why not use doping yourself?

I think that says enough. Besides the above only a few people abuse that bug, not lots of them.

It's not up to a map maker to prevent the abuse of a bug, because it's not part of normal game play. The author fixed Odin City and that should be enough.

What fun do you get out of it? You are such a good player, so you don't need it. Better show off your real skills Sqaz! :)

SPIFFEN

I think all players that use the move city bug , use it to show that the map has'nt been tested to well .

And that makes them learn , like in this map , we post about the bug , and everyone who reads it should learn from it .

It would be very nice if this bug gets fixed , then it will be much easyier to make maps work as you thought they would work .
And if there are other bugs as well , i hope they get fix'ed as well .

I agree that it is cheating , but as long as you say that you did it , and the bug is known , it is'nt cheating , it's an lession for the mapbuilder .
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
How to make links

UpperKEES

You can also just post a comment and not submit a score, especially when someone else has already done the same thing.

Being a map maker yourself you know your maps are your 'babies'. ;) When a new map maker gets discouraged by these kind of things (because he DID lock the city), he might quit creating maps at all and that would be a shame. Once again: it's not up to a map maker to prevent this bug from being abused. Just keep in mind that we're all just human beings who like to play this game. We also started off as beginners and became better along the way because the game kept offering fun to us, so let's not spoil the fun for new map makers who might have put a lot of effort in creating a map for the community.

Besides this I can remember a discussion from a few months ago that let to a quite uncomfortable situation here on the forums and in the comments section (causing this section to become part of the forums). We don't want something like that again, do we? :)

Sqaz

Quote from: UpperKEES on June 28, 2010, 07:21:28 AM
If you can't stop others from using doping in sports, why not use doping yourself?

Actually, in the best years of the cycling sport everybody used doping. Even Lance Armstrong use(s/d) it, but still it's fun to watch :).

And as I already said, this bug can be easily prevented.
So if you can't stop others from stealing, and the government can stop it, but doesn't do that, why not steal yourself.
That's the fairest.

UpperKEES

Okay, I guess we have to agree to disagree on this one.

Still would love to see your real skills again Sqaz! :)

SPIFFEN

It's very easy to post your score after you have tested the " bug " ,
it's an auto thing for me =/
And some times it's fun to see if you can manage to get even an better score than the others that have cheated ,
to see if you are abel to do it a bit faster .

I have learn many times that my "babies" (maps) has been finnished different from what my idea was ,
but it has'nt stopped me yet =P

I really hope the map makers learn from this , and don't stop making maps .
All maps can give inspiration for others , so we get more maps to play .

I agree we should be nice =)
How to make links

UpperKEES

Quote from: SPIFFEN on June 28, 2010, 08:56:10 AM
I have learn many times that my "babies" (maps) has been finnished different from what my idea was ,

Yeah, that happens to every map maker and I'm very happy about that. It really proves how versatile this game is.

but it has'nt stopped me yet =P

Spiff, we all know that nothing can stop you!  ;D

I agree we should be nice =)

:)